1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Just bought a Castello off ebay; did I do ok?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by xmacro, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xmacro

xmacro Member

Briar, Sea Rock style

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNSMOKE...ultDomain_0&hash=item27c7ed6e1b#ht_3035wt_931

Any opinions? If I got screwed, I'd prefer to know now and save money in the future

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

I think you did just fine. I love my Sea Rock billiard that I have, one of the best smoking pipes I own. I hope it smokes well for you!

3. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? That pipe is drop dead gorgeous. I've bought one pipe from that seller & everything was fine. I'm always "watching" his pipes (my only concern with him is that I think he might use "static" photos for some of his pipes) That being said I would still buy another pipe from him....hesitation factor is because of California sales tax (we're both in CA)

4. xmacro

xmacro Member

Yeah, I was a bit concerned buying from him;

- 100% rating is almost unheard of for one thing
    - He's selling it as an estate but listing it as new and unsmoked
    - I couldn't find that same pipe ANYWHERE I looked
    - When I searched for the pipe, I ran across a knock-off site of smokingpipes.com; the knockoff was smoking-pipess.info and looked like it had been run through Google Translate from another language (wouldn't recommend visiting; just lists all the sellers ebay offerings)

Well, guess I'll find out in less than a week if I got taken or not. Just hoping he didn't buy an estate pipe and sand the inside to make it "new" again :-/

5. WrightwoodJohn

You'll be fine with that transaction. And that pipes really stands out, not surprised you couldn't find another one like it:bing:

6. xmacro

xmacro Member

Eh, I found the a Costello Sea Rock with the exact same shape and everything, etc on smokingpipes.com, but it didn't have that smooth shank on it, just the rustic coloring all over

7. Nate

Nate Member

I don't think he does use stocks, I know Chance and he's got a top notch setup. I don't think anyone will go wrong with buying a pipe from him, heck I have! :D

Really sweet pipe xmacro!! Cool shape too!

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Well known ebayer, and a
    solid brand. You did fine!

Capt likes this.
  9. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

Gorgeous pipe!

10. Lithua pipe

Lithua pipe Member

Great ! Nice Looking ! ENJOY

11. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

That's a beauty! Enjoy!

12. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

That is one beauty of a pipe!!

13. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I only one Sea Rock, and its a great smoker. The one you have grabbed there---stunning pipe. Congrats on grabbing that one. I think you did just fine. Enjoy it.:th1:

14. len smetona

len smetona Member

You did good. I have a few Castellos, love them all. You win is a big discount off a retail pipe, and getting an unsmoked is like getting new in my book, as long as there are no dents or cracks. The seller is high reputation, I've bought from him before, he would let you know if there was something wrong with the pipe. Which I would not expect from Castello anyway.

Good luck, let us know your impressions when you smoke it

15. John Long

John Long Member

I wish I had the balls to spend that much on a pipe. Very, nice. I am full of envy.

16. Coldfront

Coldfront Member

You did just fine on a beautiful piece! I don't have a poor smoking Castello and I have several. Enjoy! jim

17. xmacro

xmacro Member

Well, I'm currently nearing the bottom after putting my new pipe through it's paces; packed a full bowl and am currently smoking it down to the ashes. So a few more questions (I'm abit drunk on smoe B&B and the nic, so pleaes forgive the typsos);

- it looks like I charred the wood around the rim a little bit, the inside of the lip, maybe half an inch or so; is this normal? I used a xikar EX lighter, a soft flame, and there are several cracks on the rim, maybe half an inch of cracked wood that looks like charred wood, and I'm rather scared I just harmed my new pipe
    - Pipe smokes beuatifully; no problems so far
    - here's an image of the piipe: [​IMG]

The pipe itself is alsmot as tall as the stem; the part of the stem that sticks out on the back atually touches my chin when I hold it in my mouth, which is rather annoying - is this normal? Is the stem aesthetic, or is the design intentional, telling me to hold the pipe with my hand?\

- Should I wipe down the inside with a paper towle like I do with my meers, or just leave it alone?

- final drunk thought - this pipe is HUGE - the bowl is 2 inches deep, and I've been out here for 2 hrs, smoking, trying to get it down to the ashes!! Beautiful pipe, and wonderful smoke, though for such a long smoke, I'm more than a bit light-headed from the nic

18. Coldfront

Coldfront Member

Try spreading saliva around the top of the rim (if that is where it's charred) saliva is a very good cleaner. Wipe it off run a cleaner through it an that's it. Let me (us ) know how it works. jim

19. WrightwoodJohn

It takes awhile to get to know a pipe, she'll come around..

20. xmacro

xmacro Member

Yeah, I definitely charred it. When I went to rub away the black, part of the rim gave way and now it looks chipped a bit; I definitely burned the inside of the rim on the right side, probably because I held the lighter too close

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.