Just bought my first meerschaum pipes

Discussion in 'Meerschaum Pipes' started by Egill, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Egill

Egill Member

I know next to nothing about those three pipes I won in an ebay auction, except one is an Austrian Andreas Bauer. My winning bid maxed my limit although the bid before mine was only 43 euros (about 59 dollars), so I paid the absolute highest price I was willing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Bauer-u-2...0dWCJjJw9Axtl7JvU0Zi8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Anyway, I am really looking forward to trying a meerschaum, been wanting one for a long time but simply do not afford an Altinok for example. Doesn´t hurt having 3 of those bad boys (I mean white goddesses) all of a sudden.

What do you gentlemen think, do you think I´m in for a treat or could I just as well have spent the money on a box of plastic pipes from China? :beyes:

esteban and SidStavros like this.

2. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

If those are truly A/B pipes, you got a good....no, great!...deal. I am led to understand that there is an outfit making new "estate" A/Bs, and these may be from that group. Still, they are good pipes, and these should serve you....very well! Congratulations!

3. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

They look awesome!

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

They look great. Congrats!

5. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

Nice buy!

I don't know if I'd dare buy an estate meerschaum pipe from ebay. There's too much potential for fraud.

6. Egill

Egill Member

Thank you guys!

Already sucking in all the info I can get on cleaning, restoring, waxing and maintaining meerschaum pipes in general ,really excited to say the least. I hope they´re in reasonable shape, the pics don´t really reveal too much of their condition.

One question though, some say don´t put any spirits near meers when cleaning them while others talk about it being okay. Can anyone with first hand experience tell me if its ok to put a alcohol-soaked pipe cleaner or a shank brush through the shank or inside the chamber for that matter?

7. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

I'd like to know that myself. The speculation is that the alcohol will interfere with the porosity of the stone, and subsequently with its coloration, but I don't know if its true.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Nice buy!

It is totally ok to use alcohol on a pipe cleaner to clean inside your bowl. I do it for each of my 50+ meerschaums after each smoke (or at least before I smoke it next!). I use Everclear. It evaporates quickly. But any alcohol will do - I just prefer the high octane variety.

Careful with the shank brushes and bristle cleaners, though. They can scratch the inside of the shank. I've heard of one single report where that has been an issue but I'm thinking it's because the guy was rubbing it back and forth at the speed of light. Slow and easy and it shouldn't be a problem.

9. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

So I assume your meers keep coloring (at their own tempo obviously) regardless of the alcohol?

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Assumption correct.

AlexanderM likes this.
  11. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

Are the bowls of your meers sort of grey? My bristle cleaner dipped in rubbing alcohol can't take all of the black deposit away.

12. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

They shouldn't Alexander...you won't have a pristine white interior. In fact, a smooth black glaze is (IMO of course) best. you get it by smoking and just wiping out the lose dottle. After a while, you will have a thin black glaze on the inside of the bowl.
    As Kerr said go easy with the bristle cleaners! Not necessary to scrub...just wipe. Fluffy cleaners for general maintenance...bristle only occasionally.

AlexanderM likes this.
  13. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Meers can take more rough handling than people initially assume. My IMP has been through the wars and is still performing very well.

14. Egill

Egill Member

The pipes finally arrived yesterday. All of them seem to be in good condition along with the fitted cases, with the expected scratches and rim-darkening from normal usage (nothing serious), surprisingly little biting marks on the stems. Although all them have one thing in common, the stem feels a little loose, i. e. it twists easily when connected to the shank, I presume some clear nail-polish could fix that?

- One is an Andreas Bauer as described (according to the sticker in the case), a small great looking straight billiard.
    - One is unmarked, some caking going on but should be easily removed (any thoughts on how?), a very large (to my standards anyway) straight billiard with a spectacular looking stem.
    - The last one is actually an Altinay meerschaum, don´t make me guess the shape but it´s the bent one and it´s huge with a great looking stem.

15. esteban

esteban Active Member

Nice nice score... I have seen new Altinays going in the $200 price range.........and up......

16. BWeist

BWeist Member

Great looking pipes .. love the bent dublin .. enjoy!

17. Rob72

Rob72 Member

"Some" is a very relative term. I've had good luck with Buttner reamer(gently), followed with a bandanna-corner over a finger and scrubbing with alcohol. After things are reduced, I do a paper towel wipe, paper towel and spit wipe, followed by another dry towel. I've even removed rim-scortch this way.:)

Egill likes this.
  18. DoggieDaddy

DoggieDaddy Member

Great looking pipes, great deal you found!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.