Just Found This...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RevSmoke, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

I was down in the cellar/pantry and moving some things around looking for something to go with spaghetti, and there was this pint jar that looked highly out of place. It was in with some canned veggies.

Wow, I forgot about this...

What is it? OK, so sometimes I get weird. Back in 2005, I had partial 100g tins of McClelland #22, #24, & #27 (all from 1999). I also had some whole leaf Perique from 1994. So I cut up an ounce of the Perique, rubbed out 2 ounces of each of the McClelland Virginias, mixed it all together and put it in a zip-lock baggie and pressed it into a pint mason jar and sealed it up.

I just found it and opened it up.

I must say that I am really excited about this. It smells abso-freakin'-lutely incredible.

Now all I need to do is find the time and place to sit down and enjoy a bowl of it.

cmkiefer, ShawnP, PipeSimmo and 7 others like this.

2. sonarman

sonarman Member

Awesome Rev! It sounds like it will be some really good stuff!

3. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

I truly hope so. First off, the "new" mixture is 8 years old. The Virgnias are all 13 years old. And the Perique is 19+ years old.

WalkinStick likes this.
  4. zippo

zippo Member

Sounds like a winning combo! Hope it is a good smoke :puffy:

5. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Your Huckleberry

Sounds like a winner! That perique is only a few years younger than me, haha.

6. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

Just lit a bowl of it. The Virginias are a nice sweet, dark and rich. The Perique adds a bit of piquancy to it. Tasty. Very nice when snorked.

PipeSimmo likes this.
  7. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Has the ketchup aroma dissipated at all?...

Rodfather likes this.
  8. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

Yes, it has. I never tasted it though, when it was an aroma.

9. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I dont either, usually...

10. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill Member

Even better than finding forgotten money in a pocket. We should all stash some jars of tobacco around the house and forget about them for a few years.

11. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

Sounds amazing [​IMG]

WalkinStick likes this.
  12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

That actually should work really well. You'll get high notes from the 27, low notes from the 24, extra tang and sweetness from the 22 and a nice spiciness from the perique. The trouble with this is, it might turn out to be your favorite blend and good luck finding the exact components! ;)

WalkinStick likes this.
  13. Moose

Moose Active Member

What a fortunate find. Probably forgot all about the spaghetti :)

WalkinStick likes this.
  14. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

I do believe all the components are available. Maybe not from those specific years, but they remain pretty much the same as they have always been. I also know the proportions. Of course, I could even age each of the tins 6 years & the Perique 11 years before adding them to the blend, and then writing a label for the jar that says do not open until (a date 8 years later).

Now, would be *exactly* the same? Probably not! Would it be close enough that it tastes the same. I am thinking it would.

Here's the thing. I really was not a huge fan of either #22, #24, or #27 by themselves. Might my tastes have changed since then? Yes. But at the time, I had finished about a 1/4 of each tin and was not duly impressed. I weighed out the stuff for my experiment and put it all together. And what was left in those tins I bagged up and shipped to a buddy who wanted to try them. A win-win situation.

I enjoyed the portion of the bowl I smoked last night. I have about a 1/3 of a bowl for DGT later, and we'll see how that goes.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.