Just got an order - 5100 Red Cake, Three Oaks Syrian, and Altadis Light Burley (J4)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jhe888, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I know I like the Red Cake, I have smoked it before.

The Three Oaks Syrian is new to me and I like it in the tin. I will smoke some tonight and look forward to it.

The Light Burley is a free sample from smokingpipes.com. It isn't the usual kind of stuff I smoke, and I have never been a fan of Altadis, but the price was right.

2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

How was the Three Oaks? -David

3. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Three oaks seems to be getting all the talk right now, how did you like it?

I also have an order coming from SP, I wonder if they included another freebee. With the amount I smoke, that would be enough to keep me for a few weeks, if it were goodl

4. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I smoked one bowl of the Three Oaks Syrian. It is a middle bodied English mixture - not very light, but not a heavy English. The Syrian latakia is there and I like the creamy, leatheriness of the Syrian as opposed to the sharper taste of Cyprian. The latakia doesn't dominate, as this is a balanced blend. There is a hint of sweetness, from the Virginia, I suppose. The oriental toby balances the mixture nicely. I like it. It would be interesting to try the Cyprian version in comparison.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  5. DocB

DocB Active Member

Sounds like a nice haul... I enjoy the 5100 as well.

6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Hmm, I might have to try Three Oaks, it sounds pretty good!

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I got a sample too! :D feels like a kid at T'wismus............I'm not supposed ta be receiving toby! Shhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell, I got quite the thrill! Anyway, I was very surprised at this blend. It's a nice smooth, lightly flavorful burley that won't kick you in the head like most other burleys. It's way better than tasteless "white burley" and this one is very nicely tasty. Nutty, mildly sweet, no bad pulls/smells and the nose hits off the bowl are tremendously sweet and stingy! ;)

What I will do with this leaf if I don't smoke it by itself is to use it as a nice burley blender to cut down some other leaf that the flavor(s) are too strong or quite strong and tone things down while adding some flavors as well. I'm gonna give it a try w/ GH Top Black Cherry (ought to go nicely, the leaf tastes very similar, nice well behaved burley but the GH is fairly strong nic-wise...............got lost in a few Black Cherry "moments" where I couldn't careless if the Taliban were coming, I'd be ready but smokin' the Black Cherry! Also will toss some of this in C&D/GLP Pennington GAP, that's a very very tasty smoke but a tad bit too strong on the flavors, so this Light Burley will be tossed in as a tamer. I like this blend of Altadis. I'm pleased. Thank You Smoking Pipes! You Rock!

Ed
    Puff

Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Good news, then.

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

It's good smoke. Sort of what it's named.......... Light Burley, go figure! :P

Go have a bowl, I liken it to PA's cuter softer sister ;)

Ed
    Puff

10. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I need to re-order some 5100. I am out myself. Good stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.