Just got my new Dr. Grabow in the mail. Last minute advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangold92

This is my second pipe, but my first "good" one. Anly last minute advice on things I should do before lighting a new pipe for the first time?

Arkie

Fill it only half full for the first few times and 2/3 full for the next times afterwards. If you fill it completely the moisture from all the tobacco will cause the carbon cake to slough off. Smoke it slowly to avoid getting the bare briar from getting too hot. Enjoy. :th1:

DGErwin11

Staff member
Really, just the standard advice fo breaking in any briar pipe. Partial bowls at first, keep it clean, periodic rest. I assume it is filtered. If so it is totally your choice whether or not to use the filter. This forum is filled with very strong opinions pro and con, with a few undecideds thrown in. They are all correct. Remember, it is your choice.

Happy puffing.:puffy:

Raffxr7

If you have had cigars or cigarettes, remember that a pipe does not need a drag taken off it. Lightly puff and do it slowly. That is something I had to learn with experience and has helped the most. :) If it is too hot to hold against your cheek, wait till it cools down some and smoke it slower. You know the drill, I bet, so do what works best for you and enjoy it! :D PS WELCOME ABOARD! (I haven't seen you around before and wanted to be friendly)

PipeWife

If you have had cigars or cigarettes, remember that a pipe does not need a drag taken off it. Lightly puff and do it slowly. That is something I had to learn with experience and has helped the most.
Another voice of experience on this one. If you drag too hard, you will steam-burn your tongue like it's a basket of crawdads. The only bright side to doing this is you will know what too hot or too moist feels like on the mouth, and you will never want to repeat that steam-burn sensation (lack of!) again.

Status
Not open for further replies.