Just my humble opinion.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by MAINE CODGER, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Youre exactly right . Ya gotta have inventory in all price points ! It costs money to stock up properly .

2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Thing is, he has a really large bar that does a solid business. He has poker night on Wednesdays and the house is packed. Friday night he has live music, and also draws a large crowd. He does a good bit of cigar sales, and even travels to cigar conventions to purchase bulk deals on good brands. I think he just doesn't know much about the pipe hobby and so doesn't put the effort into it.

3. ruffinogold

Oh man ... the guy has a rockin shop and has lame pipe stuff :eek: ........ what a freakin moron . I though it was a neighborhood small shop [it's always what I see first in my head ] and even with accounts , he'd have to " invest " in order to bring in good quality pipes and tobaccos . Pipes cost money and the best time to buy them is at the annual RTDA ... the selection is awesome

BradNTX likes this.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I don't think that the oft lamented decline in quality is in our heads. SWR, Granger, and Velvet have declined in overall quality. That being said, SWR is still pretty damn good. I do think, however, we need to come up for air when discussing the "good old days." Products come and go. About the only OTC's that I miss are ERR, Revelation, and Country Doctor... but not the others, cuz most of them were not really all that good IMHO. However, while a gazillion OTC's have marched off into the fogs of time, many a new blend has come to take their places; and thanks to the internet, many of us now have access to established blenders like MacB or Stokkebye.

Some of these blends that I now have access to are pretty expensive when compared to the old OTC's, but others like MacB, Stokkebye, Altaidis, Sutliff, and C&D are very much on par price-wise. And, frankly, they are often superior in quality to the old OTC's. Personally, I think that MacB and Stokkebye both offer quite a few blends that are true to the spirit of the fabled OTC blends of yore and are just as competitively priced... and they use better quality tobacco. Don't get me wrong, I think that SWR is a monster blend, but I think that MacB Golden Extra or London Burley Blend are better blends. However, the reason I smoke so much more SWR is that I can still walk down to the local David's grocery store any day of the week and pick up a pouch for five bucks.

And that, I think, is the reason that the old OTC's were so popular: they were easy to get, inexpensive, and good. There was no internet back in the 1970's, when I first started smoking a pipe. I (and every other pipe smoker) in the Lehigh Valley had a choice of the drug store, the grocery store, or a couple of B&M's that were actually pretty limited in what they carried. The men I knew who smoked pipes were not inclined to just get in the car and drive 90 miles to a "real" pipe shop in Philadelphia or Harrisburg. So, we worked with what we had. However, if we'd have had on-line access to Mars Cigars, 4Noggins, Pipes and Cigars, or Cup O Joes and all of the many blends that they offer today then the OTC's would probably have been passed up.

Sure, I lament the demise of many of the classic OTC's, but the lamentation is most nostalgic. I think that OTC's like CH and SWR are great blends with which to start because they are pretty good and user friendly, and I think they make it a bit easier to learn how to smoke a pipe. However the biggest reason that I lament the loss of many OTC's is because it represents a loss of a common American pipe smoking heritage. Sure, on one level pipe smoking is just imbibing tobacco smoke through a pipe - but on another level it represents a vibrant sub-culture, replete with customs and traditions that go back hundreds of years. I think it's a shame when some of those customs and traditions are lost, and it's sad to think that many new pipe smokers will never know those old standbys that at one time defined American pipe smoking.

Of course, new standards like C &D or Pease are not too shabby (even though they are more expensive than the old OTC's). But there will come a time when those, too, go marching off into the fog of time and the new hands of today find themselves the old codgers of tomorrow. They'll sit around and lament and bitch-up a storm, uttering complaints along the lines of "Figglehorn & Posh? Bah! Infused with essence of unobtanium and African White Rhino dung... indeed! I can remember just jumping on-line and ordering some Pease Caravan or C&D Star of the East. Now those were some good blends. But C&D has gone down hill in the 30 years since I first started smoking it in 2009. Take Bayou Morning! They really cheapened that over the years to save a penny or two... and talk about PG!"

Sure, I miss being able to go just about anywhere and buying pipe tobacco - but it can't compare to being able to go on line and pick up four tins of MacB ODF or Escudo whenever I please. The gratification may be delayed, but the pay-off is better tobacco (and often at the same price as locally available OTC's, even if I include S&H).

5. ruffinogold

MB and PS are awesome producers of blends ! Youre right , RTO .... as an example , PS makes a cube cut burley [ we both smoke it ] and it's really good stuff and better than the Bestoval and Kentucky Club of the past .SWR is good but it is in no way as great as MB GE . However , I still think SWR with coffee is the limit ... it's better than MB GE .. but only with coffee . I actually ran out of SWR two days ago :eek:... but , thanks to some PSF badasses ... I happened to have some vintage stuff until I get more . I haven't been able to get to Blue Ridge in a couple days [ It's only 8 miles away .. lol ] .

MAINE CODGER, jdto and RTOdhner like this.
  6. RTOdhner

You're right, Ruff. There is no MacB or PS blend that can touch SWR when enjoyed in the morning with a good mug of coffee. However, in all honesty, the rest of the day GE or BLB has the edge. Not by a whole lot, actually, but still they have the edge. However, the edge is kind of a moot point when I can pick up a pouch SWR just about anywhere in my neck of the woods.

And now that I think about it, I might give PS Cube cut an edge over GE or BLB. But, then again, I can't get that down the road either.

MAINE CODGER likes this.
  7. RTOdhner

Now that I think about it, SWR does have one huge advantage over any of the others - I can smoke on it while taking study notes or working on a paper for school. When I'm really on a school frenzy, other blends seem to go out on me; however, SWR just keeps going and going.

MAINE CODGER and jdto like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.