1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Just ordered a Falcon

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by fruktflugan, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

So... Decided to throw caution to the wind for once (! hahahaha!!!) and go with my gut feeling.

Ordered a falcon straight pipe with Dover bowl and Easi-grip stem and got an extra Dublin bowl and some nicnacks for a few extra pounds... (the ordinary falcon straight without gimmicks) was £23.99 and the set with one extra bowl and dry rings plus pipe cleaners was £26.99.
    I figured it was a decent deal to get one extra bowl although I don't really like the Dublin look... It might surprise and tantalise me!

Hoping it comes sometime this week... Will take the fight with the missus as it occurs!
    -If you are involved with a pipe-a-holic you have to suffer! :flowers:

Now going out for a nightly walk around town. Need to breathe the cool air and see if I can get mugged! "No, sorry dear robber... I just spent my last cash on a Falcon pipe!"

Be well my fellow pipers!

/Jimmy, Sweden

2. noflex

noflex Member

Very nice done, sure you gonna enjoy that falcon.

3. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Maybe not the look of a sexy briar, but so so easy to use you will love it I'm sure.

4. rusty

rusty Member

Great stuff, Im sure you will like it, easy to smoke and clean, looking forward to some pictures if you can?

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I never took the Falcon seriously until reading Falconeer's posts and then smoking one myself. They are remarkable pipes.

6. moshee

moshee Member

Jimmy, sounds like you ordered your Falcon from the same source that I did. Terrific prices fo sure. I also bought a straight Falcon (with the easy grip mouthpiece), but with a smooth bulldog bowl. I didn't need any more bowls as I already have two others.

For those that are thinking about getting their own Falcon new, here is my source:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/lightuphere/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Just go through all the pages and you'll see all the Falcon stuff for sale.

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

You did indeed score at that price - they're about £30.00 locally in the UK unless you can find a good tobacconist offering a discount. As has been said many times Falcons are engineered and do smoke well in difficult circumstances for year after year after year. They'll handle any tobacco you put into them and stand up to hard wear.

I,as I've said before, don't find their looks ugly - but when I took them up first it was the era of cars with big chrome tailfins, the Polaroid camera was the height of advanced styling and we thought a transistor radio was seriously hi tech!

Happy smoking with your new Falcon!

Gerry

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Wasn't it? (60 and up - clikky) This single-band cube was the height of techno-cool.

The Falcons self-evident charms grew quickly on me. I find them eye- and hand appealing, too, Gerry.

9. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

OK with all the Falcon talk, I've decided to check them out. Can someone give me the lowdown on what a "Falcon Dry Ring" is, and if it's required or recommended? I typically avoid filter pipes just because of the extra cost of filters and the "fiddle factor" (just one more thing to mess with). Are the dry rings really needed?

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

You can smoke with or without the dry ring in place, and basically they amount to a little donut of pipecleaner, so it's not like you are tied to some weird contivance in order to enjoy the pipe.

11. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Am I the only one who wishes Falcon had like a JUMBO sized stem and bowl...I'm thining Radice-esq in terms of bowl size and 1.5x width of the stem and bit. :beerhat:

12. rusty

rusty Member

Like sasquach says, its just a ring of pipe cleaner resting under the bowl, not needed in my opinion. A quick wipe with a tissue is all thats needed. When you get one there will be a ring already in, unscrew the bowl and get rid of it, for some reason they put the twist join of the ring into the tube leading to the mouthpiece, feels like its blocked? Its purpose is to soak up the juice instead of it going into the humidor I think, but even when I tried them I still wiped it out after use with a tissue. so not really needed anyway, also it does nothing to filter anything. No filters needed either, the ones that go in just seem to absorb a little bit of moisture, again no real filtering of anything. Iv never used anything since trying them first time, makes no difference to the pipe at all in my opinion.

13. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

OK thanks for the replies, guys...just one less Falcon thing to worry about.... :beerhat:

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Rugs - funny enough I've just been talking to Sas and was saying that after smoking his bigger pipes I'm beginning to find the size of a standard Falcon bowl just a tad frustrating; and that after all these years.

Falcon does do three large size bowls - they are called the Classic Range and the shapes are called Hyperbole Istanbul and Snifter. You might have to get a tobacconist to order them for you, but you can find them new and quite cheap on Ebay UK - they come in Rustic and Smooth finish.

Moo has a leaflet which shows these and I think he posted it earlier this year,

Gerry

15. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Got my falcon and I must say that I really like it.
    Smokes cool from the first fill and doesn't heat up in the bowl area at all.

I did what they suggested from the first bowl, wetting your finger and rubbing around the inside of the bowl, but I don't know. I guess I should not have trusted "the Man" there.
    Regular smoking in process might be better.

Oh, and the falcon with the Dover bowl made me appreciate NoBite Delite (boswells) more than ever. Don't know why, but it tasted SO good in there from the first bowl.
    And not even a hint of the dreaded wax flavour that has been reported from older years falcons.

Thanks all for suggesting the Falcon pipes. I am as happy as a clam.

/Climmy... (Clam Jimmy)

16. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Congrats on your Falcon and may you have many happy years together! New bowls can taste quite dreadful for the first few days - like burning pine but it does pass I do assure you. You may find after a few smokes as the wood absorbs moisture it swells around the smoke hole and you may need to open this out slightly,

Happy smoking!

Gerry

17. rusty

rusty Member

Happy new pipe :thumb:

18. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

The new bowls seem to expell moisture. I think it's the stain they used, it collects in the "humidome" and is suspiciously alike in hue to the stain of the bowl.
    I guess there's a little tobacco oil, a little moisture from the condensation and then a little of the wood stain thrown in there for good measure. (and no, I won't drink it)

Anyway, she's coming along nicely. No cake yet, but a fine layer of ash starting to form in the Dublin bowl...
    The Dublin bowl was the one I didn't like in the pictures, but has grown on me since... Just as I suspected.

Today was a little windy, but I took great care in covering the pipe opening when the breeze set in and I don't think I overheated the pipe in the slightest.

19. moshee

moshee Member

Jim, sounds like you got your Falcon before me. I'm green with envy. I don't expect mine to arrive before Tuesday. Anyhow, I'm curious, how is the easy-grip mouthpiece working out for you? I ordered the same mouthpiece as the standard Falcon mouthpiece slips around quite a bit on me when clenching.

20. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

The easi-grip mouthpiece is perfect... The standard mouthpiece looks like it'd slip, but not so with the easi-grip.
    Works great with my teeth/bite anyway.

Not one problem so far. Well, the Dover bowl is somewhat wider and bigger than what I am used to but I don't see that as negative thing.

The falcon smokes great and I find less need to relight. Don't know why, but I can only guess that it's the air opening system that draws more equal than the pipes I am used to... Unconfirmed though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.