Just ordered a MM grab bag...

Discussion in 'Corn Cob Pipes' started by BuffaloPiper, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuffaloPiper

BuffaloPiper Member

I've been growing tired of my modest briar collection lately and as a result I was really digging through my smoking materials trying to pick one the other day. In the fray I moved my humidor on the shelf and found the first pipe I ever bought, my MM legend. In a fit of nostalgia I packed it and lit it up in the car.

I can't believe it sat unsmoked for so long! What an absolute shame. I had forgotten what an enjoyable smoke these little babies can be.

Wanting to buy a few more I went to corncobpipes.com to see what was new and how much a legend was going for these days and I came across their new (to me) deal, the "grab bag of smokable seconds." Apparently they pack somewhere from 10-12 of their pipes that cosmetically couldn't pass inspection into a bag and sell it to you. It's luck of the draw what you get but for $29.95 if I can get 10 smokable pipes for $2.99 a piece I'll be happy.

Just thought I'd let you guys know it's out there if you didn't know. I'll keep you updated on what I get.

jason1977, just5042, dBear and 3 others like this.

2. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Several member have bought that deal. Those with realistic expectations thought it was a good deal.

Thuber88 and Rickpal14 like this.
  3. Rickpal14

Rickpal14 Member

I picked one of these up last summer and thought it was a great deal. I had 3-4 pipes that I thought were fine so it paid for itself right there. The other pipes were either dinged on the bowls or the stem was glued into the bowl crooked. Very usable for gardening, etc.

Thuber88 likes this.
  4. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

I had one from the bag gifted as a bonus on a trade, very smokable, nothing but a little plaster leakage when they made it that I could see, its been forging ahead since march, and just the scorcho marks on the top, and its fine and dandy!

5. Mack

Mack Member

After smoking the same briar pipe for several years and picked up a MM Legend yesterday and cobs are tasty. I almost ordered a grab bag myself but for just under 5 bucks a nice legend was hard to beat. It's made me want to go back to the store and buy a couple more!

Basil Meadows and Rickpal14 like this.
  6. BuffaloPiper

BuffaloPiper Member

Final count is 5 bent legends, 2 straight legends, 1 general, 1 pony express, and 1 Washington. I'm a little disappointed in the lack of variety but that's the chance you take.

7. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

Keep in mind the Legend is the most popular pipe they sell. So one would expect the grab bag to statistically have a lot of Legends.

The Legend can be made from a smaller cob as well, which further explains why they make so many of them.

8. BuffaloPiper

BuffaloPiper Member

Oh no I'm well aware and I expected about half legends. I'm a little disappointed though because I was hoping for a country gentleman somewhere in the mix. All in all I'd do it again though.

9. Rickpal14

Rickpal14 Member

I ordered one a few months ago and was fortunate enough to have 2 Country Gents and a Patriot included. Just luck of the draw I guess.

10. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

Yesterday I pulled out my cob that I started pipe smoking with and have neglected since buying the briars that I have. Man I feel ashamed of neglecting it. Such a good smoke. By the end of the evening I ordered the grab bag along with the gent and a diplomat just to make sure I have those in case they're not in the bag. I'll let you know what comes once I receive them.

Mack likes this.
  11. BuffaloPiper

BuffaloPiper Member

I've got a rack full of briars and they're fun to look at and everything, but more often than not I find myself smoking a cob.

browny, sonarman and Summit like this.
  12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'd like to see some pics to see what " cosmetically couldn't pass inspection " .. looks like .

13. BuffaloPiper

BuffaloPiper Member

Let me see what I can do Ruff...

14. BuffaloPiper

BuffaloPiper Member

15. BuffaloPiper

BuffaloPiper Member

That last washington is the worst of the lot. The majority of them I couldn't tell what made them fail.

16. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

And after you smoke them a bit, knock them around, drop them, they will look just like the full priced ones with the same kind of use and abuse. All of my cobs are full priced 1st quality. I don't own any pretty cobs. Just damn fine smoking pipes.

User5642, Highwayman, Nickus and 5 others like this.
  17. BuffaloPiper

BuffaloPiper Member

That's what I love about cobs, not only do they smoke great, they're disposable. I drop them, lose them, burn the rim, I even snapped one in half because it was in my shirt pocket when I got into a drunken wrestling match with a buddy of mine. I just toss them when they're no longer usable, and light up a new one for 4 bucks.

WalkinStick and Mack like this.
  18. Archi77

Archi77 Member

Thanks for pointing that out - I'm placing my order now!

19. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Member

This is a tempting deal. I'm going to look into it as well.

20. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

Alright, so my box arrived today. What did I get?
    8 Legends - 6 bent, 2 straight
    1 Washington
    1 Eaton
    1 Mini... Yeah, really, they sent a mini!
    The flaws are just laughable - dinged rim on a couple of them, one or two with some extra plaster, one with a non round bottom and that's it. If I didn't know they were seconds, I'd not see anything wrong with them.
    Just tried one of the legends and had a very pleasant smoke. A little bummed out about how "legendary" it is, but seems like a great deal regardless. Pretty sure my PAD has been satisfied for a long while with this and a couple more pipes en route.

Archi77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.