just smoked some Esoterica Stonehaven!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by FiveKai, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FiveKai

FiveKai Member

ok so ive been on the market for some Penzance and could not find any instock anywhere. I decided to go through the cellar again and see if i missed a jar of it some where but i found some Stonhaven instead.being that this has been as dificult to find as Penzance from what i read. i was excited to pack a bowl and get started.

ive had this stuf since 2008 i beleive and it was still moist. it takes some effort to rub out as its really stuck together. three time it went out three time tamped and relit. finally gets going and its running a bit hot. but the taste really is great. the tin smell is chocolate covered fruit but the smoke taste has only chocolate and smoke. my wife said the room note was tobacco smoke so not a crowd pleaser. about 1/4 into the bowl the tobacco became a wet gurgling mess. so i think some drying out prior to smoking is a must. I smoked this in a MM general cob so this would have been worse in a briar as the general has ample room below the stem to hold any liquid that forms at the bottom of the bowl

Over all i give this blend a 3 out of five stars. due to the bowl going south after the first 1/4. if it gets better with drying it out id move it up to 4 stars

Old Codger and Mington like this.

2. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

It's a great blend, but it does need a bit of drying out. If I ever chance upon it, I'll buy some, but it's not like there's a hole in my day if I don't have any. I'd probably keep an ounce of it and use the rest as trading fodder.

Mington likes this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I dry it almost to crispiness and it's one of the most perfect tobaccos ever produced. If I were putting together a list of the Best Tobaccos I've ever smoked, including those that are long out of production, Stonehaven would probably sit around #5.

Smoked at bag moisture, it's less than ordinary because, as you pointed out, it becomes steamy and disagreeable.

Rewster66 and BradNTX like this.
  4. FiveKai

FiveKai Member

lets hear that list of top 5 tobaccos!

Spillproof likes this.
  5. xmacro

xmacro Member

I've got a bit of a question - through various black magics, I managed to get a good price on an 8oz bag of Stonehaven; the numbers on the bag read 120903 - do the "03" mean this bag is from 2003?!

6. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

I smoke it straight out of the bag (like I do all English flakes/plugs), fully rubbed out, loose fill, in smallish pipes. Never had a problem with it. Top 10 smoke.

BradNTX likes this.
  7. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Ah man another blend to add to the buy list lol

Mington likes this.
  8. dmkerr

Whoa!

Ok, subject to change....

Sullivan Powell's Gentleman's Mixture
    John Cotton Smyrna
    Gallaher Rich Dark Honeydew
    Garfinkel's Orient #11
    Stonehaven

honorable mention to State Express Roundels and the old Cope's Escudo. The Garfinkel's is the only one I haven't smoked within the last year and, in fact, it's been closer to 20.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread....

9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I fold and stuff Stonehaven without dry time, and rub some out fine to put on top. I don't get gurgles, and love the flavor top to bottom. I usually smoke it in an MM CG.

Jammer likes this.
  10. David Emond

wow this seems hard to find, were do you guys get this?

11. BradNTX

You have to diligently hunt for it at multiple eTailers and B&Ms until you come across it, or someone can order it for you. I've found some on line before. I've also had my B&M order some for me. It took 6 weeks to come in.

David Emond likes this.
  12. David Emond

Thanks so it's still in production. So this blend has a chocolate room note ?

13. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Esoterica Stonehaven is still in production, yes, but it seems to be released in batches - releases never meet demand. The last batch was released a couple/few months ago and "we" swooped it up and cellared it (same with Penzance). You may find it by calling various B&M's and begging for whatever they have - but you will not likely find it through any online retailers right now. One rec- don't try stores in NYC and LA ;-)

I do not think Stonehaven has any kind of chocolate room note- if that means anything.

David Emond likes this.
  14. BradNTX

To me, it has a nutty flavor, with a slight hint of chocolate flavor. It comes in and out. It's smooth, with a subtle sweetness to it. I don't think the room note matches the flavor. My wife thinks it is barely tolerable indoors, but says it isn't bad outside.

Old Codger likes this.
  15. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Is that what happened to him after he broke-up with Paul Simon? From folk/pop icon to tobacco blender. Seems fitting, since I always enjoyed smoking a pipe while listening to one of their albums... ;)

dmkerr and Spillproof like this.
  16. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Stonehaven is magic stuff, to my mind. I had a one oz sample and savoured every bit of it

David Emond likes this.
  17. dmkerr

From musical harmony to tobacco harmony - I like it!

No mini-afro in the tobacco, though... I woulda noticed.

RTOdhner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.