just some thoughts and experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocipio

I smoke a bowl or two each night here in west Michigan sitting on my porch, lately in 20F degree weather as I watch my two dogs run around, chase each other, dig in the snow, etc. It is a very nice way to end the day.

My long-haired miniature dachshund must always lie in my lap whenever I smoke my pipe. Whether it is outside in cold weather or inside in my chair, he seeks me out as soon as the pipe is lit. At no other time does he seem to care for my lap. I find it sweet, yet interesting of him.

I find when on the patio having a smoke, virginia flakes burn better when there is a little wind. Perhaps because the flakes are bigger/thicker and won't burn too hot? Nothing beats a calm night for pipe smoking though. Too windy, and I do not enjoy anything whatsoever.

My wife says the smell of WOL OF is ok, she tolerates SG FVF and Rattray Hal O' The Wynd, but she cannot stand G.L. Pease Westminster. She asked me to try smoking something sweet that reminds her of old men fishing off the pier, perhaps something cherry.

I ordered some Berry Cobbler and Christmas Cookie from J.M. Boswell's. I am hoping she likes at least one of the two. Based on reviews on tobaccoreviews.com, if she doesn't like those, perhaps I am out of luck? Hopefully, they are better than this CB White I picked up today. Ick.

I prefer Virginia's like SG FVF and virginia/burley blends like WOL OF. I need a recommendation on something that has a nice aroma for my wife, but excellent flavor and a little kick for me...

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Um, this is gonna sound completely stupid, but Mac Baren Club Blend will hit it on the head.

It's a virginia base with a sort of punchy fermented leaf mixed in, topped with a bit of sugar. I kid you not it smells like roasting marshmallows in the air. My wife likes the smell and she doesn't like many. She does NOT however appreciate the smell on me later in the day.

One tobacco that my wife likes the smell of a lot that is still a far cry from a true aromatic is Dark Twist, again from Mac Baren. This one smells more tobacco-y to me in the air, but it has a slight maple and a VERY slight licorice flavoring. Smoking it - think oatmeal cookies. Sweet, spicey... yummy.

If you didn't get in outright trouble for the Larsen Old Fashioned, then their Signature Vintage 1864 might be a winner - it is an outright aromatic though - no tobacco component at all! But it smells like heaven on earth. Seriously - if heaven doesn't smell like this, you got the wrong address.

I thought Grouse-moor smelled nice in my shop, but the wife gave me a very sour face today, so I guess that might be out. Might as well have had a pipeful of dog :poop: to be honest. She no likey!

Honestly, Mac Baren may be what you are looking for in general. Mixture or Navy Flake.... these all taste superb to the smoker and smell wonderful and very "pipey" to the passer by.

EDIT: Also, I agree - nothing wrecks pipe time like a good wind. A real gentle breeze can help keep things lit for sure, but anything above that and it's time to head for the garage.

Tinderfoot

I recently recommended this in another thread: Stanwell's Melange. Found at most of the usual suspects mentioned on this board. It will keep the wife happy.

Tinderfoot

Demented

Early morning, between 3 and 4:30 was my favorite time to smoke outside, for the longest time the city was still. Birds slumbered silently, only the rustling of an opossum or scurrying of a mouse, to tear me from my thoughts.

The city doesn’t rest anymore, in the background there’s the drone of the interstate, ceaselessly murmuring, like a river rubber and steel bubbling over concrete and tarmac. In the air the buzz of light aircraft and helicopters, gunfire and sirens play their part too, in the mechanized symphony that is Los Angeles the City. The music rarely stops.

We have a cat that hates cigarette’s, she goes the other way if she sees one and leaves the room if there’s cigarette smoke in the air. What’s odd is she does not mind a pipe or it’s smoke not even that of a full English mixture.

I hear and read so much from fellow pipe smokers about the women in their life not liking the smell of Latakia or English mixtures, my wife loves the smell, reminds her of camping. I must admit to having planted the idea of Latakia smelling like a campfire early on before exposing her to it.

The closest thing I’ve ever smoked to a flake tobacco is C&D Pirate Kake. Never much cared for straight Virginia blends, for me they smoke to hot, yet I find the idea of a straight VA Flake enticing, of course I’d need to buy a pipe or three to smoke it out of, should I like it. I have yet to smoke any pipe mixture that has to much nicotine, though a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero cigar with coffee one morning had me needing to eat, before I could finish it.

For years I smoked Cavendish cured tobacco (along with English mixtures), mostly vanilla, then I got on a chocolate kick, now I can’t tolerate the taste of any perfumed tobacco. It really is a good thing my wife likes the smell of straight tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.