Just wanted to introduce myself

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Taylor, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taylor

Taylor Member

I am new to pipe smoking, been really enjoying it. Just received some GL Pease in the mail, and to me I really do enjoy them more than anything else I have tried so far (only bulk and house blends)

I've also been enjoying the posts on this forum alot of good stuff.

BTW, lemme know if anybody has an Oom Paul they are trying to sell, or sees a nice one for sale.

Also, how much money do you think is the max to spend on a pipe, before you are simply paying for looks?

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Welcome to PSF, Taylor. I can't help with the oom paul, but your second question should get lots of interesting replies.

My short answer to the question as you posted it would be $400.00.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I've got an Oom Paul for sale! It's, uh, 399.00! Yeah!

Welcome aboard Taylor. What's your budget on the Oom? I know a guy who knows a guy whose cousin's brother's friend makes custom pipes, and being an Oom Paul guy myself, I can also direct you to some brands that make a good full bent (Savinelli) and some brands to avoid (Chacom).

4. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I have three Oom Pa's that are estates and I would be glad to restore and sell one to you. Contact me if interested.

Welcome to the forum!

5. Taylor

Taylor Member

I would say my price range atm is about $100 max, I would be most comfortable spending $75 for the right pipe, I know that is a bit on the low end, but I am a student and really need to work on my tendancy of going all in on things... or maybe not.

Either way, I'm trying to take it slow, and would be very nervous with a $400 pipe in my mouth.

6. Taylor

Taylor Member

Strongirish, see if you can contact me through my account, i would love to have a look at your pipes.

Currently, i can't click to get a contact page for you, since I am such a new member.

7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Taylor, keep in mind 400 is roughly my top end. A quarter of that will get you a damned good pipe, and an eighth of that that will do you pretty well for a starter pipe. Those are all rough numbers, there are exceptions to all of them.

8. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I PMed you but just in case my email is strongirish@gmail.com

9. Taylor

Taylor Member

yeah I figured $400 was the upper limit, and I really appreciate the info

I'm glad I can get a decent pipe for 100 bones

figured I wouldn't really know till I asked around, or tried a more expensive pipe for myself

But I trust the advice that I am getting on this forum

10. Taylor

Taylor Member

Sasquatch, btw, I've seen some pictures of your pipes, I really like em

11. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Welcome to the show Taylor. I don't have any expensive pipes, but I do have an old no name estate briar that smokes as well if not better then a Mauro Armellini.

The fancy high dollar pipes are great if you can afford them, but I don't think that means they'll be great smokers. Some are, some aren't.

Give me a good MM cob and I'm just as happy. But that's just me.

If I were to spend that kind of cash on a smokin stick it'd most likely be from one of the makers on this board. :cheers:

12. Taylor

Taylor Member

Yeah that is what I was thinking aswell, or a few others out there I have seen

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Oom Pauls are really easy to make badly. So if you are buying blind, from some pipe selling site, you can get a real piece of crap. You need 10 posts before you can use private messages, but if Strongirish has something he feels is a decent smoker, I'd trust his judgment rather than gambling.

I would also suggest you look at a Savinelli 614 or 604 shape, both heavily bent but usually put together pretty well. A Roma would run about 70 bucks, and a smooth "Champagne" maybe 80.

14. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Welcome to PSF, Taylor! You've been given some excellent advice from some very trustworthy members. I think you've gotten off to an excellent start with G.L. Pease blends. When it comes to buying pipes, I rarely have more than $50 to spend, often less. A reputable site like Smokingpipes.com will often have good prices on Petersons and Savinellis and sometimes deals on estate pipes in that $50 range as well. Last time I looked, they had a nice version of "Bing's Favorite" for $51. If I can spend $100 or more, I'd see what some of our resident pipemakers can offer. Currently I'm trying to save up so I can commission a billiard from Sasquatch of the Great White North.

15. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Welcome to the jungle, Taylor! My take on this issue is that your "upper max" will slowly increase as you gain confidence in knowing what you want in a pipe - the material, the finish, the external shape, the chamber size, the bentness of the stem, the length of the pipe, etc.

When I was starting out, I felt it better to spend $100 on two Petersons rather than on one single pipe. After a while, I ventured out and bought $200 pipes. As I continue to experiment with pipe shapes and chamber sizes, I may eventually become confident enough to spend $300-$400 on a pipe, with the knowledge that what I'm buying is something I would really enjoy.

16. Taylor

Taylor Member

Awesome advice guys, and I should make a new topic for this, but what the heck

How do you know a good pipe, I am trying to understand the construction and how it lends to a good smoke

Or are there already some good posts on that?

17. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Sasquatch has a fantastic post that is pinned in the "Pipe Making" forums titled something like "Guarantee Yourself a Good Smoker"....that is where you should read.

Here it is

18. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Welcome. I try to stay under $100. I have several in the $75 to $100 category, and only one that I paid more for. I also have some estates that are "worth" way more but cost me next to nothing.

One of these days, I'm going to get my hands on a real genuine Dunhill and see what all the fuss is about. I'll probably start by cutting it in half...

19. Taylor

Taylor Member

Probably a silly question to ask somebody who has been smoking pipes for 20 some years,

but had did you come by all those pipes?

and thanks for the thread recommendation SSGPiper some was new info and some was stuff that I was sort of assuming, but good to have it confirmed from a pipe maker

20. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

My "spendy" pipes are all from local shops, either new or gently used.
    The estates I buy at flea markets, usually several at once. I pick out the one or two I really like and put the junkers in a box under my desk for future experimentation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.