Just Wondering Why

David M

"You talkin' to me?"
Patron
I've been wondering something about McClelland's blends. Yes, they're great blends. I myself was a newcomer to them but was still able to acquire a few tins through purchase and trade before the bottom dropped out. I'm sure my supply pales in comparison to what many of you have. However, I am grateful for what I have. What is befuddling to me is how much some people are willing to pay for various blends on ebay. Is it that they love it so much that cost doesn't matter? I guess I'm just trying to figure out what drives people to pay so much money.

Don't get me wrong. To each their own. It just makes me wonder is all. Your own take on this is most welcome.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
I closed and then reopened this thread because it's about the market as much as it's about McClelland (*We do not want ANY new McClelland threads, that is a Dead Parrot sir).

The answer is Supply & Demand coupled with obsessive/compulsive behavior. Some people have more dollars than sense, and there are international buyers who will pay any amount of money for rare and/or "collectible" pipes and tobacco. I suspect in some cases it has more to do with bragging rights and a business culture of exorbitant gift-giving (China) than it does with enjoyment of pipes and tobacco.

Last edited:

leacha

░░░░░
Patron
These are my thoughts. Spill is right dollars to sense.

Remember in the early 90s when there were a bunch of morons people that had to have a Harley Davidson? They camped out at dealers over night to get on a waiting list to pay MSRP for the bikes. The bike comes in, they load it and themselves up with HD bling and ride off. After the first few times getting caught in a rainstorm or dropping them, these "bikers" didn't ride their "investments" as muc. Than in the late '90s to early '00s these "investments" could be had for a song.

The same will be had for McC. I've seen people pick up the pipe and leave the pipe. After awhile they want to unload that "crap" that's taking up space.

Teddy Jeavons

Patron
This is supposition on my part because I don't really know how many people this applies to (perhaps someone who frequents r/pipetobacco might have an idea. I don't.), but for people like myself who smoke just a few bowls a week, despite really loving it, pipe tobacco is very, very cheap. I haven't bought any ebay-priced tobacco, and only a couple of somewhat expensive aged tins, but it's not the price that's stopping me really as much as a general disinclination to not support ebay resellers. But it's not the cost itself. For instance, I've been curious about all those new/old versions of Germain (BK, Hampton, Bridge, Century) and there have been a bunch on ebay for $40-$50. If I would smoke through that tin in a few days, well that's a lot of money. But I wouldn't. Because I am a pretty infrequent smoker and I like variety, even for stuff I like a lot, a tin will last me well over a year. So $50 for something I'll sit with for an hour at a time for 15+ hours over the next few years? That's really cheap if it's something I like a lot and can't find similar for $12 a tin. Way cheaper than wine or good brandy as a measure of how much enjoyment I'll get out of it for the money. Heck, cheaper than what we spend on our locally roasted coffee beans relative to how much use we get out of each purchase. So I just look at pipe tobacco costs differently than someone who smokes several bowls each day.
It seems like there are more people like myself in relation to pipe tobacco than there used to be, so maybe that's a driving force. Just a thought.

maddis

Patron
I think for a lot of pipe smokers (maybe particularly those on a forum like this?), the hobby is about much more than smoking a pipe. It's also about collecting, acquiring novel items, telling other people about our acquistions, etc., etc. Jumping on items that are considered desirable, provided they are affordable to the individual, is part of the process.

Arkie

These are my thoughts. Spill is right dollars to sense.

Remember in the early 90s when there were a bunch of morons people that had to have a Harley Davidson? They camped out at dealers over night to get on a waiting list to pay MSRP for the bikes. The bike comes in, they load it and themselves up with HD bling and ride off. After the first few times getting caught in a rainstorm or dropping them, these "bikers" didn't ride their "investments" as muc. Than in the late '90s to early '00s these "investments" could be had for a song.

The same will be had for McC. I've seen people pick up the pipe and leave the pipe. After awhile they want to unload that "crap" that's taking up space.
A similar thing happened with high-dollar telescopes last time Halley's Comet appeared. The yuppies went nuts buying incredible telescopes and they looked through the scopes once or twice and then mothballed them. After a couple of years when the telescopes were just taking up space in the garage they sold the telescopes for pennies on the dollar.

wildcrow

Excuse me but why are we not allowed to discuss McClelland's? It is a tobacco subject and this is a tobacco forum, is it not?
Discussions have been had and nothing was done. It was an endless circle with new faces jumping in and sharing in disbelief. The cycle was endless and stupid. It got repetitive and was dumb. It didn't stop. It was assanine. It was cyclical and foolish...

I could go on, just like those threads. Or, we could all move along and continue discussing other things.