K.I.S.S.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by KN092011, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KN092011

KN092011 Member

Not the band, the saying...Keep It Simple Stupid. I've decided to try a little experiment. I've decided to rest my briars for a bit and exclusively smoke my cob (soon to be cobs). I've also decided to only smoke one tobacco at a time while I'm doing this. I only have a small amount of a handful of tobaccos on hand so this is easily doable for me.

I have to say at first I did not get the whole cob obsession; I was less than impressed. BUT, as I've smoked mine a little more here and there it's really coming into its own. So, in the interest of keeping things simple, I decided to exclusively smoke my cob for a bit. I figure if I burn it out, I'll just get another one. Their cheap and easy to replace. Heck, I've already chewed through the stem on the one I have anyways.

I'm starting this experiment with a pouch of CH I used to break my cob in with and will move to the random pouch of PA that I've had sitting around when that runs out. Then I'll move through a couple of English blends I have, mostly a couple of the Frog Morton's. If everything goes well and once everything runs out, I may try to stick to only 1 OTC tobacco at a time for a bit, as they are relatively cheap and easy to find. Like I said, trying to keep it simple. I may have also forgot to mention that the wife and I are also trying to get out of debt so this will help.

I really like my briars but I also find that everything gets a little complicated; trying to keep up with which one I smoked last and how long they've been resting, what blends I've been smoking in what pipes, etc etc etc. I know it doesn't have to be that complicated but my OCD kicks in and I cant help it. The ease and simplicity, and the price of the cobs is very appealing. I'm on my third consecutive bowl in my cob as we speak and I'm noticing no ill effects so far.

I know there's a lot of guys around here that only smoke or at least mostly smoke cobs so I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I'll let you know how it turns out, or if my ADD pulls me back to me briars.

2. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

If you are only going to smoke one pipe you can't go wrong picking a cob.
    And getting out of debt is a great reason to do it. You can spend crazy money on pipes and tobacco before you realize what hit you.

It seems like a fair amount of members are in the process of getting out of debt, I was thinking about starting a 'get out of debt thread' in general topics. Kind of a support and accountability thing. We all need encouragement at times.

highstump, Robin, KN092011 and 3 others like this.
  3. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

For resting my 3 cob rotation I use an egg carton with the floppy bits pulled off. If they are ready to be smoked they get to sit in the front pocket and if they are resting they sit in the back pocket. It looks pretty redneck but it's cheap and easy to use. I also have a Whitehall sitter from the 80's in my rotation and I'm waiting on the poy that my wife got me for my birthday, an altinok meer that will need no resting that is an anniversary present from my wife and my mother inlaw is gonna get me a MM that's not a legend for my birthday. My wife tells me this is enough pipes and she doesn't expect me to spend anymore for a while.

Smokey Tom, Robin and Summit like this.
  4. krusty

krusty Active Member

To which the wise man replies "Yes dear" with the utmost of sincerity while proceeding to his vendor of choice. Credit card in hand. (-;

5. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I have been down sizing my briar collection and reaching for my cobs more often. I find them convenient and good smokers. I take them to work and don't have to worry about losing one or damage. I think I will join you and only use my cobs for a while. I use one for lat blends and the other fpr vapers and CH. I don't smoke everyday but some days I smoke three or more bowls. I think I will invest in a couple forever stems.

Robin and KN092011 like this.
  6. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Ahhh spoiler alert!!....I'm not sure what you hope to acomplish with this experiment but just a heads up....my grandfather did that for years, only with one cob at a time and Half& Half for the tobacco.

So my guess is you could easily end up enjoying pipe smoking the rest of you life smoking a cob and one OTC tobacco. ;)

7. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Nothing wrong with the Keep It Simple (Stupid) mantra. What you have outlined for yourself should work out fine. Sounds like you aren't committing yourself to be locked in to one tobacco, but you might find you wind up going back to the same blend over and over. Smoking the same blend on a regular basis may be considered a good way to become really familiar with the blend. Who knows? You might even wind up on a first name basis, just calling your smoke "Carter" or "Albert." :)

Preacher1611, Robin and KN092011 like this.
  8. KN092011

KN092011 Member

Keeping it real simple...

[​IMG]

Life (smoking at least) is much simpler this way.

(And I just realized how chewed up this stem is. All things considered, I can't justify a forever stem right now though, as much as I might like one.)

Hawkwood, Preacher1611, TWolf and 3 others like this.
  9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

too dear for me! - so I make 'Tedever' stems for them now - much cheaper!:ohyh:
    [​IMG]

10. KN092011

KN092011 Member

So I strayed from my original plan today. Even though I've gone through some CH and PA, and am currently smoking some Samuel Gaiwith Squadron LeaderI decided to work through some samples that I have today. I started by Finishing up some Penzance earlier today, which I knew I liked, and loaded up some Kendal Kentucky just a bit ago, which my first impressions were not that great. Now that I'm revisiting it, my experience is much different; I am really enjoying this. Smoking it in my recently rusticated cob pipe (which I did myself) and I'm really loving it! Having a good time with these samples!

11. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I love my briars...Especially my Boswells and Stanwells. But the best smoking pipe I have is my MM Freehand. Everything I have ever smoked in it sings...Especially burley. Stormfront kicks ass in it.

MikeInMaine, TWolf and Robin like this.
  12. Robin

Robin Member

Use cash, they don't notice that! Trust me I know, if my wife knew what I spent at GNC, and Williams Tobacco Shop she would have a fit. :)

13. Robin

Robin Member

I'd like to get a forever stem for my MM, but no hurry, besides you can buy two new MM pipes for the cost of a forever stem.
    The OP is right, KISS is as good a plan as any regarding pipe smoking, I have some nice pipes, and fancy tobaccos too, but I enjoy my MM full 'O CH just as well as anything.

Summit likes this.
  14. Coastal Bend

I have a biting and chewing "problem" with my bits, too. Consider the Danish bit replacement. The Danish bits look really nice and are a little less bite prone. You can get them for under a buck from places like Aristocob. They are certainly NOT a Forever Stem replacement, but they are a little more substantial than the stock bit and have a nicer look.

Aristocob, Hawkwood and Robin like this.
  15. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I've been trying the whole one tobacco at a time thing myself, it's been good! I still work through a rotation on all my pipes though but the whole keeping it simple thing is a great idea!

Coastal Bend likes this.
  16. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

Update now I have the 3 legends, a country gentleman, a diplomat, and the MM that vaguely resembles an hour glass, plus the Whitehall sitter. I also have a few ounces of English blend from my not so local shop(kept in a plastic tub in a closet at the shop). Still waiting on poy and meer and my wife purchased a dozen and a half eggs so I could update my pipe rack. She assures me that if the new pipe rack, egg carton, gets full she will start buying more rings. If you think pad if expensive try supporting a wife with good taste who is indulging in rad.

I really was trying to keep it simple, apparently I suck at it.

Robin and Preacher1611 like this.
  17. Coastal Bend

You'd be OK if you could find a MM equivalent for rings. :whis:

18. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

She doesn't care for Kmart which is probably the closest thing.

19. SthrnMan

SthrnMan Member

I smoke a lot at work and my go to pipes are my cobs. I normally rotate 2 cobs during the day. I smoke in one, then the next smoke is in the other one. At night I reach for my briar of the day pipe. In the morning I clean the 3 pipes from the day before with a paper towel to the bowl, a vodka soak pc followed by a dry pc and then I hang them in the rack stem down. I grab my next 2 cobs for the day and enjoy. I normally rotate through 2 or 3 tobaccos in a day, and my cobs handle that just fine. And yes, because I clench my cobs at work I order New stems once a month with my monthly TAD order. They are less than a buck each so no big deal. However, I REALLY like those stems Old Ted posted... I wonder if he has any for sale?? Hmmmmmmmm

20. Coastal Bend

...or you could look for the pipe equivalent of the jewelry she is getting to balance your purchases. Savinelli? Peterson? (pause...) Dunhill? :byg:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.