Kajun Kake & Stokkebye's Luxury Twist

Discussion in 'Blending' started by Whitespot, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitespot

Whitespot Member

I stumbled upon an odd, yet quite tasty blend. I purchased some Luxury Twist, as an enticer while smoking in public. But as a smoker of non-aromatics, the vanilla was just too much. I had on hand a tin of Kajun Kake, nice, but too one dimensional. I decided to blend it with the twist, 50/50. What I found is a blend that married quite well. The Kajun Kake added a nice earthiness and depth to what was a blend that was too sweet and mild. The Luxury Twist added some complexity to the one-note Kajun Kake. After a half dozen bowls or so, the blend is still holding my attention, a blend that I will continue to smoke while in public. Anyone else tried anything like this?

James1956, bubbagump, Albert and 2 others like this.

2. krusty

krusty Active Member

I had similar issues with LTF, simply the wrong kind of "sweet" for my tastes so I traded off what I had.
    I never would have thought to try something so dissimilar as Kajun Kake. Good save Whitespot!

User4408 likes this.
  3. User4408

User4408 Member

Yep. I love Mac Baren Va. No. 1, but late in the day it can be too mild. I also love Irish Flake, but early in the day it's too strong.

However when they're mixed 80/20 the result is just about perfect: a sweet spicy medium-bodied smoke that can be enjoyed anytime. It's like a rich high-octane version of Dark Twist.

Welcome to the world of after-market blending! The possibilities are endless. I've noticed a lot of PSFers who fold 2 or more tobaccos together in the same bowl. An absolutely great idea.

4. Whitespot

Whitespot Member

5. Albert

Albert Active Member

One of the best smokes I've put together is to take a flake of SG Best Brown and A flake of SG St James Flake and twist them together (while they are moist out of the tin) into sort of a rope. cut a plug and load it up. Heavenly!

User4408 likes this.
  6. Whitespot

Whitespot Member

I agree. I think it works well to mix blends from different manufacturers together to offset some the individual characteristics manufacturers have in all their blends. This really came to my attention listening to one of the Pipes Magazine podcasts where Brian Levine was noting some of the characteristics each manufacturer imparts (ie. McClelland's "ketchupy" taste, C&D's dry white wine taste, etc.) I can really relate this to cooking. I'm a bit of a "foody", and I like to cook by taste. When I'm trying a new dish, I tend to go off the reservation, adding a bit of this and a bit of that to achieve the taste I have in mind.

User4408 likes this.
  7. Whitespot

Whitespot Member

I've got to try some Best Brown! That's one of those blends I keep meaning to try, yet invariably I get sidetracked in the smokeshop, and end up leaving with 2 or 3 other blends. For years I've smoked English, just now getting into the Virginias and Virginia/periques.

Albert likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.