1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Kaywoodie Relief Grain

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by KingsTarantula, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

My father came to my house this weekend. But he forgot his pipe. I went out to an antique place where I know they have misc. pipes throughout the hangar and picked one that I thought he would like. It was a older Kaywoodie Relief grain. It did need some work but the work was well within my ability to make look like new. So, I purchased it. Took it home and cleaned it up like new. Gave it to him. He was happy and I was as well.

Now to my question. On the bottom is it stamped 69S. Does anyone know the relevance of the numbering systems for Kaywoodie? And/or can anyone tell me anything about this. Also, ask questions if you'd like. Thanks everyone. And happy pipe smoking. :bing:

furious likes this.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

69 is the shape number . S .. I'd have to look at the shape charts to figure what it's referring to . B stands for " in between " . Meaning .. they had say a billiard shape and the standard was a certain number and the huge was a certain number .. and then theres a shape number with a b meaning in between sizes . S might mean slender .. slender compared to the other pipes of that shape . I used to refer to a chart at a site but it's no longer online [ criminal it is ] .. I should have printed it al out . But you can probably figure it yourself looking at these Kaywoodie shape charts ..

http://pipepages.com/kwg-36app1.htm
    http://pipepages.com/kwg-47app1.htm

dBear and KingsTarantula like this.
  3. furious

furious Junque collector

I am no expert on Kaywoodie but always thought that S in the nomenclature meant special. The two digit shape number means the pipe is post 1938. Does it have its stinger? And if so, is it three or four holed? The latter means it was made in the 1940s. And let's see some pics.

dBear and KingsTarantula like this.
  4. ruffinogold

Well , it's not slender . I had a 51s and it was a near chunky pipe . Hmm .. theres b , s , c etc ...
    I should know this and I know I've read the definitions .. I'm blank , atm

KingsTarantula likes this.
  5. ruffinogold

You may very well be right . But I'm wondering whats special about a 51s , ya know . It's almost Identical to an 04 but just a little chunkier . Grey Fox had a link that explained most everything about Kaywoodie . It was called the Kaywoodie Compendium and it was excellent . Once a moth I check to see if it's back up

KingsTarantula and furious like this.
  6. furious

furious Junque collector

Only reason I suggest that is because I have a long Canadian that is marked 5173S and was told by the old timer I bought it off of years back that that is what it meant. Wish the GFO site was back to confirm.

7. KingsTarantula

Thanks you guys. It gives me a better understanding of the pipe. And as for pictures, my father has left. He was only here for the weekend but I can ask him to snap some shots and send them to me.

8. KingsTarantula

9. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

69 is a pot. That I am sure of. S probably refers to the stem. Short probably. Or saddle. I had a 51S too. It had a short saddle stem.

10. KingsTarantula

What does "saddle" mean here? The stem is about 4 inches length.

11. Spam

Spam Member

I've done a bit of googling, and I'm of the opinion S could mean 'saddle' or small. In this document some shapes with an S are small (ie the Small President, 93s) and some are 'saddle' (eg the Medium Billiard Saddle, 51s). But it seems very inconsistent, 73S is an Extra Large Canadian, which isn't a saddle stem shape as far as I understand. And to further confound things the shape 69S isn't listed.

Here 69 is listed as a Large Pot... so it could be a Small Large Pot or a Saddle Stem Large Pot. Maybe. :msty:

KT - This is a saddle stem... http://www.invictabriars.com/bigpics/cl/billiard with saddle stem 1.jpg

KingsTarantula and furious like this.
  12. bosun

bosun Active Member

69S would be a pot with a saddle stem.

Not a complete list, KWGuy (BillF) is still working on the list. I think there are a few discrepancies in the list but I am not going to complain about Bill's hard work! I know that if I had to go through all of the catalogs to compile the list I would be eligible to wear a straight jacket!

http://kaywoodie.myfreeforum.org/about218.html

mecompco, KingsTarantula and furious like this.
  13. furious

furious Junque collector

I can't speak for all but my 5173S has a small taper stem. It's a tiny bit anyway and wouldn't look right with a saddle.

14. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

Thanks for that link bosun. I'm glad to have it.

15. KingsTarantula

Thanks Spam. The stem is not a saddle. It looks almost identical to the Relief Grain in this picture below. Same logo, stem type, bowl finish, ring between stem and shank, etc. And it is a 4 hole stinger as well. http://pipepages.com/kwg-family#1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.