1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

kaywoodie supergrain Grecian goes for 222.50$ on the Bay

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by esteban, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esteban

esteban Active Member

Ya just never know what something is really going to fetch.. This one was very good condition no length shown, bite marks, and did not show stummel to stem connection, but I guess a Kaywoodie piper would know that...It must be a rare one...39 bids....

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Wow, a Kaywoodie that pulled down that kind of money. Must have been nice.

3. esteban

esteban Active Member

It looked like a Kaywoodie with a fat stem,perhaps a bent bulldog....Thinkin it has to be rare for a Kaywoodie fan, or someone just fell in love with it...

4. bosun

bosun Active Member

I had some 'initial' interest in the pipe but it quickly got out of my comfort zone. Quite a few heavy hitters in on the bids, so some collectors and probably a few resellers in there trying to make a buck. Weren't any newbies going "OMG I've been outbid! I'm a luzer! I have to assert my masculine dominance by increasing my bid a dollar until I'm a winner again!!" if you know what I mean (g). I asked the same question on the Kaywoodie forum on why so 'valuable'. Pipe is in nice shape, older (which are what I buy), seller says "rare" (not that I place my absolute trust in what ebay sellers say) but still pretty high a price for a pipe that doesn't have the (overblown??) reputation of a Dunhill or one of the Danish artisans..

Thuber88 and esteban like this.
  5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

A link?

ruffinogold likes this.
  6. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Kaywoo...206?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bba90576

[quote="bosun, post: 572228, member: 4183" but still pretty high a price for a pipe that doesn't have the (overblown??) reputation of a Dunhill or one of the Danish artisans..[/quote]
    These old pieces with the inlay in the shank are very desirable. A lot of people think of Kaywoodie as a drugstore pipe but at one time they retailed for more than Dunhill and Barling. :confused:

jpberg and ruffinogold like this.
  7. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Doesn't look like a comfortable smoke to me, much too fat.

8. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I have been thinking about what has already been said about the pipe as far as how much it fetched and also the pipe itself as far as desirability.
    Although I am not a Kaywoodie collector--I am sure that the new owner is absolutely happy as all heck--or they would not have kept bidding.
    It made me think of past threads about just how much a pipe is worth, or how much is too much to pay for a pipe.
    The Kaywoodie just as any other pipe is worth exactly what a specific individual is willing to pay at the time for it.
    I can imagine that the new owner is probably smiling ear to ear about getting it. Once again not just with pipes but many items that folks collect or desire to have--there are those who want an item bad--so bad that they are willing to pay what it takes--why--because to them the item is valuable enough that the cost is worth it.
    I think its really cool that the pipe fetched what it did. I hope the person enjoys it a lot.

colorduke likes this.
  9. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Probably a caring wife bidding on it for her husband for Father's Day. Hope she keeps the winning amount a secret.

10. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Shank logos are pretty rare/ collectible and only the best got them. Also I believe it would be pre1938 making it rather sought after as well.

When that pipe was new it was more expensive than a Dunhill and out sold them as well...even in London.

ruffinogold likes this.
  11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Jeez ... I should put my shank logo Kaywoodies on ebay and use the money to fly to Rome to confess at the Vatican how guilty I feel for selling them at such a high price

MikeInMaine, Thuber88 and Texhealer like this.
  12. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Cleaned up and an informed description and they'll bring a good price, I've got about a dozen shank logged yello boles but some are a little rough and yello bole won't bring quite as much as the 'woodies.

jpberg likes this.
  13. furious

furious Active Member

Bidding war on steroids! That pipe on a good day should fetch less than half of what it went for.

14. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

It's been a few years since the KW's were really hot on the bay. It comes and goes. I think that one is high, but is a pretty nice piece.

ruffinogold likes this.
  15. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

You smoke that a little more and that weight will come right off, or if you enjoy the smoking it a lot, you wont mind as much;)

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Agreed ... I don't think people realize how well made and nice those Old Kaywoodies are ... they were top notch

furious and Thuber88 like this.
  17. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

I hear some new ones are pretty great as well;)

furious likes this.
  18. bosun

bosun Active Member

Yep about 1936 when KW was marking their briar for country of origin (France, Algeria, Greece, etc.) "Imported Briar" was used after 1936. No mention of stinger in ad. Around 1938 the KW logo on shank was eliminated except on the Super Grains. The bidders knew what they were bidding on, just out of my price range!

19. KN092011

KN092011 Member

Any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If no one was willing to pay the high price for a Dunhill then it's not worth the price they charge, no matter how nice it is. If someone was willing to pay that price, then it was clearly worth that much to them.

Or one of their children was playing on their iPad and accidentally upped their bid, like my 1.5 yr old son has done twice! I gotta remember to log out when I'm done!

20. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Thank God I smoke Grabows.

cobbsmoker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.