1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Kaywoodie

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by mrpipster, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrpipster

mrpipster Active Member

I was given an unsmoked Kaywoodie and it seems like it has some sort of plastic insert in the bowl.
    This is my first briar pipe so I dont know what is going on here.
    Am I just that clueless and this is the standard for cheap pipes and its not really plastic but just the way they are made with some sort of coated bowl?

2. Iain

Iain Active Member

Pictures would help here but the first thing that came into my mind is a meerschaum lined bowl, is it white?

Old Frontier likes this.
  3. mrpipster

mrpipster Active Member

No the inside of the bowl is black

4. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Dr Grabow used to "pre-smoke" their pipes with a machine but now they just spray a bit of carbon in the chamber. I've never known Kaywoodie to do anything like that but I can't imagine them putting an insert in their pipes either. Is the surface slick & shiney or dull & grainey?

5. furious

furious Junque collector

Only thing I ever heard of Kaywoodie doing is meerschaum lining. Maybe it's heavily deteriorated which is a shame as they were the top of the line back in the 50s.

6. Iain

Iain Active Member

All the Kaywoodies I have came to me as pre-smoked estates so I can't really be sure about a new one. I'd have to agree with Arkie and say it sounds like a carbon coat.

7. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I've never seen a Kaywoodie with a plastic insert? If you can get a good enough pic maybe that could help with identification of it.

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

The bowl has been pre-carbonized, no need for break in, load it up and smoke the "new" out of it.

9. mrpipster

mrpipster Active Member

Yea you folks are right it's just pre-cabonized.
    The surface was dull and kind of grainy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.