Keeping it lit.

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by user2460, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user2460

user2460 Member

I've received a gift of some tobacco and my very first cobs. I have had only one briar before and as I said it was cracked, I had an ok time keeping that pipe lit but this new cob seems to be a challenge. I do not know if it has anything to do with the breeze or cold outdoors or the large size of the bowl but I have a feeling if I puff too much to get it to a reasonable burn it's going to have some bite.

Another friend is sending me some smaller briars with smaller bowls with I feel will be much easier to work with but I want to get good at mastering the large cob as well.

Tips?

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

How big are your cobs? I have 3 cobs, and haven't had that problem, but mine are MM Legends, and aren't too big. Also, you might need to work on your packing/tamping technique. I don't really worry about puffing too hard/fast to keep it lit. I just relight and go on about my business.

3. user2460

user2460 Member

I have a MM but maybe my cob is "normal" sized and I am used to a small size pipe. It's hard to keep it going I have to light it too often this I know to be true. I am pretty good at packing the pipe but I'll look around to learn some new methods that might help, the tamping I am sure could use some work, I am not a pro in that dept.

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Darby, grab some of the Mixture Flake and load up that Country Gent! It'll burn right for you. Some leaf, especially aros tend to not want to burn but once they get going, they're fine. May wanr to try to set some of the Vanilla out to dry a a bit before the smoke....aros can be quite feistey.

Smoke Up"

Ed
    Puff

5. user2460

user2460 Member

Thanks Ed for coming to my rescue! :thu2:

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Tamping is really, really important. Getting a layer of ash compressed on top of the rest of the tobacco creates a sort of low pressure system when you pull air through, and you generate smoke this way. Packing the pipe so that there is just a hint of restriction in the draw - you know it's not empty, and then lighting and tamping and lighting again (tamp when the smoke gets thin or the draw gets really light) should see you on your way.

Cobs are easy to smoke, but I don't find that they stay lit the way briars do.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

+ one on this.

Smoking Gun likes this.
  8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Pack looser than you think.....by about half....

Puff The Magic and Smoking Gun like this.
  9. user2460

user2460 Member

I packed it looser and smoked the MB Mixture like Ed suggested. Worked like a charm. I am drinking a little Irish cream tonight and might of smoked a bit too fast, being that I am an ex cigarette smoker I long to take fast long hard drags, I am still learning to ssssllllllloooowwww dddooowwnnnn......

Mark w4mms likes this.
  10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Slow smooth.....letting the smoke waft from the bowl..thru the stem...and into your slightly open lips and keep that going....you're cruisin'.

Smoke slow. Easy smooth draws, or sips.

Tamp less, and only ash unless you need to redistribute unburnts

Light briefly but evenly

And then do shots of Irish Cream with a nice stout dark....

:)

Ed
    Puff

Mark w4mms likes this.
  11. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Give it a sweet and dirty sip a couple a times a minute, and drive us boys wild.....PICTURES, Lady!

Mington likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.