Keeping the Doctor away!

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by Wildcat, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildcat

Wildcat Active Member

Middleton's Apple...

Often favored by new smokers and soon forgotten and later maligned by the same folks, as time and experience jade the brain. Why all the hate?

New smokers enjoy it because it's mild, has no bite, lights easy and stays lit. Aren't those all good thing still? Sure, it doesn't taste just like apple pie or apple Jolly Ranchers for that matter, but it's got a mild, natural, apple like sweetness that doesn't cover up the taste of tobacco (Burley and Virginia) and that too is a good thing.

Like many, Apple was the first pipe tobacco I ever bought. I liked it for all the above reasons and still do. I love them both, but it can't be whiskey and hot sauce all the time... a glass of milk and a PB&J is good now and again too. I always keep Apple on hand. Light it and go. No surprises and that's good. Plus, I love first whiff when opening the pouch with it's great artwork!

Any fans willing to admit they are still fans?

Tired of it? My mailbox is always open!

[​IMG]

2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Ive always been curious. If my B&M had it, I would grab some...but I can never justify adding it to an online order for some reason...

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Thanks for writing about this blend ! I'm going to go buy a pouch just cause you brought it up . I try it every few years and have to admit it's been awhile . The room note is really stellar and it was sweet to my taste . I think I know a store that carries it , if not , I'll add it to my next online order .......

Middletons Apple .. How American is that !

Whalehead King, dBear and Wildcat like this.
  4. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I might have to pick some of this stuff up one of these days.

Mington and Wildcat like this.
  5. Capt

Capt Active Member

Yup, it was one of the first pipe tobaccos I ever smoked. It gave me tongue bite, but what do you expect from 12 year old's tongue. lol

Mington, DakOOk, Wildcat and 2 others like this.
  6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I smoked a couple of boxes of that stuff in the Persian Gulf.

Wildcat and dwaugh like this.
  7. Moose

Moose Active Member

This was the first pipe tobacco I ever tried. I have a new pouch in my mancave waiting on just the right time to enjoy it.

Wildcat likes this.
  8. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I've always enjoyed Middletons Apple.
    Not an every day smoke for me, but i usually have some in stock, and enjoy it as an every once in a while kind of thing.
    Thanks to you, I'm going to enjoy a bowl right now.

Wildcat likes this.
  9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I thought it was rotten to the core!:(
    OT

sillyoldbear, dBear and Mington like this.
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Last I had it , it was very brightly colored ribbon with none or almost no black Cavendish ... is it still like that ?

11. Wildcat

Wildcat Active Member

Visually speaking, think of Middleton's Cherry Blend. Almost identical looking in IMO.

On that note, spent yesterday with Apple and I'm smoking Cherry Blend today.

12. Wildcat

Wildcat Active Member

Go ahead, pull the trigger! If you don't like it, I know a guy...;)

13. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Middletons Apple tobacco is just as good as there cherry blend,not heavy or sticky and put a match to it and enjoy.

Wildcat likes this.
  14. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Sounds intriguing. I'll have to pick some up.

This forum ought to get a commission for the tobacco sold from threads like these.

jediknight129, PyrateMate and Wildcat like this.
  15. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Seems the local places that carry tobacco around here only carry SWR (not Aromatic :(), Captain Black, PA, and CH. Sad, so sad.

16. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Member

This was my first pipe tobacco. Tried it in a cob probably back in '89 or '90. Put me right off the pipe.

Tried it again, with a new cob, ten or twelve years ago. Same deal. I distinctly remember tossing both.

Now that I've somewhat figured out how to smoke a pipe I decided to try it again last weekend. Not bad, mild tobacco with a hint of apple to it. I'll finish off the pouch but I don't think it'll ever be a 'go to' for me.

Wildcat likes this.
  17. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

Like Capt 1* I was probably 12 yo last time I smoked it.:eek: Use to get it at Eckart's drug store, for my dad of course. I need to get a pouch to revisit my misplaced youth. Also got a tub of Sugar Barrel recently and the tub note reminds me of something from that era but can't place my finger on it.

Wildcat likes this.
  18. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

I've only tried it once, a small sample I got in trade. I liked it quite a bit, but haven't gotten around to revisiting it. Maybe next order...

Wildcat likes this.
  19. PyrateMate

PyrateMate New Member

Aye, I began with the Apple many years ago. When I came back last year I got some and enjoyed it again. I used to smoke the Flying Dutchman as well. That one is no longer available from what I understand.

Wildcat and ruffinogold like this.
  20. PyrateMate

PyrateMate New Member

Coastie, If ye be lookin fer the SWR Aro I can toss ye one. PM me and I'll let ye know..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.