Keeping the Wood looking new???

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by kaleehb, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaleehb

kaleehb Member

Hello all!

I've been smoking a pipe for a little over a year now and have noticed the wood on one of my pipes is starting to look a little more dull than when I first purchased it. Is this a normal effect and is their any type of oil or polish I can use on the outside of the bowl to help the pipe keep it's shinny new look? The pipe I'm referring to is my Savinelli Opera. Also, if I can use a polish how often does one apply or use it?

Thanks

2. Iain

Iain Active Member

There's a variety of different ways to polish briar pipes.
    What I do with mine is use a buffing wheel to apply Carnuba wax, I find it's the most effective way to get a high shine that doesn't require much maintenance, I learned that method from others on this very forum. In the past I used Beeswax which is easier to apply by hand if you don't have a buffing wheel but doesn't last as long as Carnuba. There is also the different polishes put out by pipe manufacturers but I've found found them to be not especially effective in the long term.

3. jdto

jdto Active Member

Regularly polishing your wood will keep it new-looking.

Capt, RTOdhner, WarGhSt and 1 other person like this.
  4. Gandalf

Gandalf Member

Has anyone tried Arango Briar Pipe Wipe or Arango Pipe Spray? If so, how'd it work?
    Are you using regular Carnuba like you buy from the auto stores?

5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Briar pipe wipe works well and a can will last for years.

6. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

The carnauba I use with my buffing wheel is very different than the "carnauba" you would use on a car. It comes in a VERY hard block and the heat of the buffing wheel is needed to heat it up and apply it to the pipe. There are some waxes that don't need a buffing though, but I have not used them....

7. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

The only problem with using a wheel on a regular basis is that you can eventually remove the stampings. Pipe wipe sprayed on a soft cloth....let it dry, then buff your pipe after each smoke. You can keep using that cloth for quite a while if you keep it in a baggie, and a can will last for years.

Yeah....I use the buffer.....a lot.

dwaugh likes this.
  8. Aes28

Aes28 Member

That's why I polish it daily........ dot dot dot Ehhh?

jdto likes this.
  9. Iain

Iain Active Member

Like dwaugh said, the carnuba used with a buffing wheel is very hard, puts a real nice shine on briar and on vulcanite stems and lasts quite a while.

Here's my buffing setup, the carnuba is on top of the wheel on the bench:

[​IMG]

10. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I finally managed to get a drill/buffing wheel setup, but I really need to get a block of carnuba..lol

11. kaleehb

kaleehb Member

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll try the Pipe Wipe and rag as I have no space for a buffing wheel at the moment. Thanks again!

12. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

:whis:

jason1977 and jdto like this.
  13. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

There is no need for a regular basis use of wheels,you can use Linoleum (boiled) or other waxes like Halcyon II/Paragon with a wool cloth for shinning. You can cover the stampings with a small sticker or thin tape,in low rpm there is no problem with wheels.

14. Gary

Gary Member

I picked a wax blend that is used by food bowl turners. It's a mix off bees, carnauba, and a food grade oil. I simply put a small dab on a clean cotton cloth, wipe it on, let it sit for a while, then rub it off. Pipes and stems look great and no buffer required...and since it's food grade, no chemicals to worry about.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16418

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

SidStavros and Darkly like this.
  15. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

Thanks for the information,the sad is that many stores from USA don't send such items to Greece [or Europe]. They say that have restrictions from the Customs.

16. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

There are several similar products on the market - I use one branded as "Claphams Salad Bowl Polish". I know it's available in the United Kingdom (despite being a North American product), so perhaps you can find it in Greece?
    Conversely, any high-end wood carving shop should have a similar compound on-hand.

17. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

Before many months i wrote for a "Salad bowl finish" oil and they told me that they don't send outside USA. But....but....shinning a piece of wood does not mean that is perfect for our Briar ! NOT all oils are the same or are appropriate for smoking pipes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.