La Escepcion Pipe Tobacco (Cuba)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by slr, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slr

slr Member

A fine brick of pipe tobacco from Cuba. I look forward to trying this. It is a bit dry so I will be letting it sit in a mason jar to rehydrate (slowly) for a couple weeks. I'll be in Mexico on Friday for a two week trip, so I will be hitting this pipe tobacco when I return. 8)

I unwrapped the tobacco to inspect, and the awesome aroma hit me. The smell is really nice, very earthy smelling. I bet it is strong stuff. :mrgreen: It comes in what looks like a one pound brick of flake tobacco, same as the Partagas brand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mhnd Al

mhnd Al Member

Woow look at the size of that its really seductive to so smoke, how could u wait for 2 weeks !!
    Rake some sample with you to mexico :P

3. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

You lucky,lucky,lucky @#^%*.
    Is this in the cigar tasting catagory? It looks good enough to eat. Did you have some idea of the aroma, taste etc. before you bought it? You lucky,lucky...... Enjoy.
    Be well.
    p.s. You should resist the temptation to give some of your fellow members a "little taste".
    Keep it all for yourself. Unless, you find you don't like it. Hey, I'm just trying to help.
    ol brokedik.

4. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

Where can you get it? I've looked on several European sites over the years and never found any. I would like to try some in my own cigar mixture. :bling:

5. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I just got an ounce chunk of HdM tobacco from "the island". Gonna try it as soon as my cold goes away.

6. slr

slr Member

The only place I have been able to get it is from the cigar shops in Cuba like the La Casa Del Habanos shops. I don't go to the island but I have friends that do. They bring it back for me. I have never seen it in any tobacco shops in Europe, Asia, or Latin Americas. So my guess is you can only get it in Cuba.

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

AWESOME! That's so cool. I'll have to hit my friend up next time he goes to Cuba.

8. slr

slr Member

It's pretty cheap, your friend can pick it up for around $5 a brick.

9. akohtz

akohtz Member

What's the dimensions of the brick?

- Andrew

10. BradNTX

I have a friend with a 100' sailboat on the coast of Florida. He and his partner sail to Cuba twice per year. I'm very curious about the taste of that toby.

11. slr

slr Member

Around 5" X 8" X .5" . It's more like a giant Hershy bar then a brick.

When rubbed out, it has the consistency of fish flake food.

12. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

Very interesting.

Is it all cigar leaf or something else? I wouldn't expect anything other than cigar leaf to be produced on the island.

13. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Waste cigar leaf? The best pipe tobacco ever blended? I never heard anything good about Cuban pipe tabak, not that it is much discussed. I am very interested to learn more about the flavor profile less accent on that which we cannot have. Cool package. :) Cuban coffee (beans) have a powerful mystique in discussion, for example, that for me never materialized as magic in the cup.

15. slr

slr Member

It is definitely cigar leaf since the only leaf grown in Cuba is used for cigars. The same leaf but the lower quality stuff is used for cigarettes and this pipe tobacco. I think it is like "peso cigars", which are cigars rolled for the Cuban people, so they are very cheap. This pipe tobacco is very cheap and likely smoked more by the Cuban people which is why we don't see it in fine tobacco shops around the world.

As for Cuban coffee, the coffee crops over the past several years has been really bad so the coffee has not been all that good. But when the coffee crops are exceptional, the coffee is wonderful.

16. BradNTX

I read on the net where someone had bought this exact same brand a couple of years ago. He had pictures posted as well, so I was able to verify it was the same. He said it tasted like a medium grade Hoyo cigar. He also said it was pretty strong, a bit bitey and may be better used to blend with other tobaccos. He also said he put two loafs in his humidor, which mellowed them a little.

17. Smoke 80

Smoke 80 Member

I'm telling.

18. slr

slr Member

Very spicy from the start, lots of earth, straight forward Cuban tobacco flavors. The spiciness tones down as you smoke down the pipe. Smoke slow and steady will yield generous amount of flavors. Really enjoyable pipe tobacco. If you can get a hold of this tobacco, and enjoy Cuban tobacco, do so. A very satisfying smoke.

19. Woodbeck3

Woodbeck3 Member

Hey I am only a town over from you :humpy: :flowers: :monkeydance: :gossip: :eyebrows:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.