Lakeland Suggestions

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've tried several different Lakelands tobaccos, but they've all been on the heavy side except for one SG blend. I really like GH tobaccos, but I haven't tried any of their lighter Lakeland blends. Anybody have any suggestions for lighter GH Lakeland blends?

2. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

have you tried the GH Honydew

RS422 likes this.
  3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

GH #7 Flake
    Glenngary
    Red

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Lighter in what sense? Nicotine, flavor, or scenting?

If you want a scented tobacco without such a strong topping, I highly recommend both Best Brown #2 and Kendal Flake. Both are scented, but BB#2 is only very mildly so...a nice in between smoke. Kendal Flake is quite scented, but the combination of scents/flavors used feature almond and other lighter characters, and while there is still some "perfume" to it, it's nowhere near as floral as the likes of Ennerdale.

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Bright CR flake Roy - no flavouring, just pure, fairly mild VA leaf. But unfortunately - availability always seems to be the issue over there.
    OT

Wicklow likes this.
  6. RTOdhner

The scenting/flavor. I've tried Condor, St. Bruno, GH #7, GH Bosun Cut, and GH Coniston Cut. They have what I think are heavy "essences." I like them all, and I have a pipe dedicated to them. These have a rich floral thing going on, and I really like it. They are all short listed for the cellar.

I want to branch out into the lighter Lakelands. So far I've tried Grousemoore and Bob's Chocolate Flake, and I like them very much. (I think they a really wonderful mossy note to them). I also seem to catch a light Lakelands essence (floral, not mossy) in Erinmore and Stokkebye's Cubed Burley. I want to try more G&H Lakelands that have that lighter essence like Grousemoore and Bob's Chocolate Flake.

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

There's a plethora of GH bulks out there
    that I haven't even scathed the surface
    of yet, so you may want to look in that
    direction. I know BBno.2 isn't heavy
    in that area at all. Seems to me that
    the GH bulks cater more towards the
    american palate, but as I mentioned, I
    haven't delved deeply into the bulks/loose.

IMHO, Condor doesn't have as heavy of an
    'essence' as St. Bruno does. FWIW

8. RTOdhner

Delving into "gimme a suggestion for a lighter..." is a tricky proposition, because "lighter" and "heavier" are pretty broad and subjective terms.

9. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I've never picked up on this floral scent people talk about until a few days ago. That wonderful box of samples RuralHipster sent me smelled like a potpourri. The smell was so strong that it ghosted everything in the box when I first opened it. Everything not in a sealed jar smelled of it. Eventually I found the source, Ennerdale in a zip lock bag. I separated it from everything else and put it inside two more plastic bags. The smell was so strong that all the other bags smelled of it. Happily, after being separated, the smell began to fade from the other stuff. Yowsa, that is strong smelling flower stuff. If really spells like a room deodorant.

When I get more courage I will try to smoke it, just to see if it tastes like it smells. I'm hoping not.

10. RS422

RS422 Member

Ditto.

Jeebs likes this.
  11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

You can get GH pretty easily, it's SG that's harder to come by in the States.

If you're looking for more light scented Lakeland tobaccos in the same vein as things like Grousemoor, stick with Samuel Gawith. Kendal Cream Flake is a personal favorite, as is 1792 (but that sure isn't what most would call a "light" tobacco! It's just that the flavoring isn't heavily floral or anything...a healthy dose of tonquin is about all thats there)

If you're looking for floral tobaccos with a lighter dose of the scent, definitely go with Best Brown #2 and also give Kendal Flake a try. Neither one is overwhelmingly floral, but you'll definitely know they're GH blends :)

And GH makes a number of natural blends, too. Bright CR Flake is one I've not tried (yet) but others (as Old Ted did above) recommend highly. If you can handle a healthy dose of nicotine, I really like both Dark Birdseye and Kendal Dark. Both are very strong though, but unscented.

Try this on for size when you're feeling adventurous: store a single flake of something strongly scented like Ennerdale in a pouch of an unscented burley or VA blend. They will pick up a bit of the scent from the flake. As long as it's something on the order of a 1:4+ ratio of scented to unscented in the pouch, it won't overwhelm with the scent. I suggest using a flake tobacco over a broken flake, ready rub, or ribbon cut because the idea (for me) is to get just a kiss of the flavoring. You're not blending the tobaccos, you're letting the scent work its way from one blend to the other. After a couple weeks in contact, remove the flake and smoke it on it's own...the rest of the leaf will have picked up some of the flavor from it, and when you smoke that stuff from there on out, it will taste a bit of whatever you put in with it. Not all blends work well with all toppings, but something rather neutral in flavor (say, Prince Albert) with work well with most.

I like to add just a hint of flavoring to Kendal Dark....Ennerdale, a large flaky chunk of Bosun Cut Plug, or Dark Flake Scented all work well. Kendal Flake's topping isn't good for the Kendal Dark, which is a very strong tobacco. Dark Flake Scented would work great with it because the leaf in the blend is the same as Kendal Dark, simply cut differently and given a scented topping. But remember, the trick is to let the scent work it's way onto the blend you're flavoring, not to blend the two tobaccos together (I mean, unless you want to). So use something easy to distinguish from the blend you're altering.

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Hmmm... well, Ennerdale comes to mind. Licorice and lavender, how could you go wrong?

dmkerr likes this.
  13. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I like SG Grousmoor too. You might want to try SG Kendal Cream Flake too. To me, like Grousmoor, it is a "light" Lakeland essence tobacco.

14. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

GH Bright CR flake is one of my daily smokes. It's very mild in the flavor department but it has enough to keep me interested. It's my go to Virginia flake.

Glengarry is another mild flake from GH. It has a light topping of honeydew flavor but not very much. Also very mild in the flavor department.

Brown Flake Unscented is mostly Virginias with some Burley and dark fired leaf. Very nice!

Louisiana Flake is Bright CR flake with Perique added. I really like this one too....:th1: Smell reminds me of cocoa and nuts even though it's supposed to be a "natural" virginia flake. I like it whatever it is.....:)

Wicklow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.