Lakita Veterans Needed

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mike Pomery, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

So I have been dedicating a Peterson 502 to their Old Dublin for a while now, but I am wondering if there are more complex Lakita blends that would warrant their own pipe-dedication over the current choice. I love the smooth, citrusy approach Peterson have taken to this blend, and I found GLP's Westminster too dry/dusty for my tastes, though they were similar in other regards.

Advice please gents. Perhaps if you let me know how Old Dublin slots into the overall Lakita charts, or simply by telling me the three tins of Lakita blends you cannot go without.

Cheers!

2. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Old Dublin is for me, a straightforward English blend, the latakia very noticeable, but by no means a latakia bomb.

If you're looking for more complex latakia blends, you could try the following variants:
    - Latakia bombs, like Ten Russians or C&D Pirate kake
    - Latakia blends with cigar leaf, like GLP Robusto or GLP Key Largo
    - Latakia blends with Perique, like GLP Quiet Nights or C&D Epiphany

You may also want to try Oriental or Balkan blends:

- blends with a high Turkish/Oriental content and some latakia, like Davidoff Royalty
    - blends with a high content of both latakia and turkish, like C&D Star of the East or IRC Balkan Supreme

Hope that helps.

3. Mike Pomery

I absolutely love both Davidoff Royalty and Quiet Nights, but do not consider the Lakita as pronounced as Old Dublin.

So I guess I am asking what blends share the prominience of Lakita like Old Dublin, but are still in the Medium camp? Is Old Dublin king of this category?

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I think that McClelland owns the "medium" camp. Frog Morton, British Woods, Bombay Court, and on and on. I'm wondering if you are liking the latakia, or the latakia and cavendish combination? Big, big difference between a lat/va, and a lat/va with some cavendish. If you need some cavendish to enjoy the lat, look at Pipeworks and Wilke blends, they make out of this world "American" English blends.

Otherwise, hike your skirt up and grab onto some Old Ironsides.

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Try C&D Burley Flake #4, exactly what you're looking for :thankyou:

7. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz Member

Park Lane Old Church

8. SimeonTurner

SimeonTurner Member

My fav of all time is the McClelland 3 Oaks Syrian. Not a huge lat bomb, but you also can't miss that it's there. My absolute favorite.

9. Mike Pomery

Sounds perfect. Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.