Lancer's Slices...underappeciated

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bahnzo, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

From Charles Fairmorn. I got 4 oz of this stuff and finally got around to really giving it a go. And I have to say this stuff is quickly becoming my favorite Latakia smoke. It's black and earthy looking and smelling. Very smokey also. This stuff is pretty manly, but not overly strong.

I'm sure it's not under appreciated by those who know it, but I'm surprised that it's not recommended more often when people ask about Latakia's.

Edit: bah...I spelled title wrong...hate that.

SouthBound and Beale like this.

2. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I tried a couple of bowls about a year ago. I liked it. I never odered it but, it was good

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

C'mon, Ken, it's underappreciated because people don't go blabbing about how good it is! Now everybody is going to want some.

Seriously, this is what Samuel Gawith was before the internet boom - really affordable, readily available terribly good tobacco.

I can't tell you why it hasn't taken off.

4. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Ya, I thought twice before posting, but considering it's not widely promoted and kinda tough to find I thought I would give them some love.

And yeah, it's affordable as all get out, which is one reason I like it as well. As long as it's appreciated enough for them to keep on making it, I'll be happy.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I found it a great tasting smoke but for some reason it made my mouth and tongue feel gritty after every bowl. Must be me, as it has a small but loyal following. Excellent pricetag as well. Wish I could smoke it, but I'll leave it to you guys to enjoy. It's a good one to like!

6. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Who sells it?

7. jpberg

It's made by Charles Fairmorn. Most of the regular outlets have it.
    DM, you're not the only one that I've heard the grit thing from.

8. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

SHHHHHH!! Now you've let the cat out!

9. Beale

Beale Active Member

I really like Lancer's Slices! It is a favorite of mine. I was gifted a nice amount. I smoke at least a bowl a week of it, Beale.

10. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

It's a little funny, despite how few pipe smokers there are really, that there's a propensity to be secretive.

In a free market, without so much government interference, sharing the love would actually stimulate production. And possibly downwards price pressure.

I appreciate you saying something so i can order a tin to try. My favorite part of the hobby is finding new blends and the right pipe for them and it helps to have guidance from the "in the know" crowd which I never seem to be part of :xd:

Saf

11. jpberg

Wow, good luck finding the "in the know " crowd around here....
    You won't be able to get a tin, it's all bulk.
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/charles-fairmorn/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=39821

It's not really reminiscent of the old bengal slices though. Could never figure out why they said that.

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's just not a hot item at the moment , which is fine . I remember when Germains stuff was the rage back in the 90's and was tuff to get for a while . Now there's a killer blender/maker thats not talked about much . Their Royal Jersey blends , king Charles and #7 are really great ! The others are fine as well . Germain must be "passe' " these days and thats good cause you can just order it anytime . I remember that Lancers Slices were real popular w/ the tobacconists ... alot of shops carried it in bulk and I'd be suprised if they didnt still .

13. jpberg

Ruff, it's still tough to get Special Latakia Flake and Brown Flake. Easier than SG, but it goes quickly.

14. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Yea I got tipped to Germain brown flake early enough to get a tin and then purchased 3 more. But now every e-tailer is out of stock, and I think someone mentioned that it may no longer be in production.

15. mugwump

mugwump Member

I have a couple of pounds of the stuff cellared and bounce between it and C&D's Pirate Kake for my Latakia-heavy fix.

16. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

A generous PSFer gifted me with some slices, and here's some of my thoughts on them:

a bit wet from the pouch, so I lightly rubbed and dried for half an hour or so. got that nice, smoky BBQ jive right upon lighting, which progressed into a very peaty yet smooth mouth feel, heavy on the latakia and barely noticeable on the virginias. fantastic beef jerky flavor! a straight-up heavy english which I might characterize as a "pleasant" Ten Russians. definitely cyprian and not syrian latakia… mid-bowl, getting some tongue and lip bite. let it rest and cool down for a while...swabbed up the moisture, and the bite went away. Consistent "married" flavor as expected of an aged flake. Thick body, Strong on the nicotine, and made my lips feel strangely puckered afterwards.

I would classify this as full-bodied English mixture. Perfectly smoky latakia with hints of virginia sweetness. Reminiscent of an expertly blended whisky such as Johnnie Walker's Blue Label!

17. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Not to mention, how scarce some blends are. You'd think there were thousands of pipers snapping up rare tobacco when it becomes available. I've heard what the real story is from some B&M's though. They just don't receive much of some of these "rare" blends (in the U.S.).

When I scored my bag of Stonehaven, the B&M got less than 20 8oz bags in and had 33 people on the wait list. I just don't understand why these tobacco companies don't just produce more of the blends people love and less of the ones that don't sell as fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.