1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Lane Era Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Raffxr7, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I've read of Lane era Charatans, among others, and managed to come across one locally. Were these seconds that received a Lane stamp, or a marketing strategy? Did Lane put its name on some real stinkers or were they for the most part, fair quality? Do people collect these?

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Lane distributed Charatans in the US in the mid-50's, got in well with the family, and then acquired the brand in 1960 (from Charatan's widow).

In 1978, Lane's family sold Charatan to Dunhill. In 1984 the Prescott St. factory was closed.

There are some great pipes out there from this era. Ben Wade suffered a similar fate in those days and the lines are blurry, but I have some great old BW's and have seen plenty of good Charatan's from those days.

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Charatan

3. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Thank you, Spill! I think I'll take the gamble on it for eight bucks.

Summit, dmkerr and Spillproof like this.
  4. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Lane also made pipes in the 90'S after they bought Grabow Sparta industries.They were more of a cluster *%$# using up pieces and parts,they also resurrected the Alpha brand.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Eight bucks for a Lane-era Charatan??? Nice score!!!!

6. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

I'll say, definitely post some pictures. My Lane Charatans are oustanding smokers, I love the feel of their stem, perhaps one of the softer vulcanite stems out there? Unfortunately that makes them prone to teeth marks, but with heat, they spring back nicely.

7. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

I see a Lane era Charatan in my future.

8. Spillproof

Gonna see Doug today WJ. I'll poke around (and give him his cigars, which he texted me about).

9. WrightwoodJohn

Guess ya wanted to "age" them a little first eh?:D

10. Spillproof

I've been busy WJ. Every time I go to the shop he give me more filthy pipes!
    But the good news is now that the Dunhills have been "rested," we can smoke 'em today.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  11. WrightwoodJohn

I know man & thanks!
    I'm big on "following up"....I think it's this damn job of mine.

Spillproof likes this.
  12. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I'm not 100 percent sure it's a charatan, if lane made anything else with their name on it, it may be that.

13. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Alright folks, I lack photos right now but I'll work on correcting that in the next day or two. It is a rusticated billiard with a pearlized stem, but the stem is in rough shape. A few cracks, and a bite through. It is also an acrylic "staggered" saddle stem, I'm not sure if that is the right term but the saddle is longer underneath than on top. There is a wood ring between the stem and the shank, I'm not sure what type of wood though. The markings are:
    Lane Limited
    Broadway
    And perpendicular to that, at the edge of the shank, ITALY. Does this sound like a Charatan? Should I have a new stem fitted, repaired, or otherwise fixed? If it's a quality pipe, the low grade vulcanite stems I have just wouldn't belong on it.

14. Spillproof

It may be a quality pipe, but I don't think it's a Charatan Raff.
    Chartans are stamped as such, and I am not aware of any Charatans from Italy.

Lane Ltd owned everything at one point or another. Could be from any number of other Italian lines.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  15. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I figured the odds were against it being a Charatan. I'll know next time, and in the mean time... I've got another nice pipe*! Thank you for your help on this one.

*it'll be nice when repaired, I'm an optimist.

Spillproof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.