Lane Limited 1-Q

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by 5H4N3, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I first tried this blend more than 20 years ago, and I was less than overwhelmed, but my wife really enjoyed the room note.
    I decided to give it another chance a couple of months ago so I purchased a 2 oz package and gave it a whirl. When I started on the pouch it was just OK for me. Nothing special, but not bad. Here's the thing though, When the bag was finished, I was a little disappointed, so I bought another, and then another.
    The odd thing is, I now notice that I reach for the 1-Q more often than any of the 29 other blends I have "in stock".
    The more of it I smoke, the more nuanced and interesting it becomes. Sometimes the flavor is purely vanilla. Other times it takes on a sugar cookie note, and occasionally I'll get a hint of caramel and pecan.

Yesterday I went to the shop, and now I have 1.5 pounds. Merry Christmas to me!

ruffinogold, TedVig and craig like this.

2. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

My local B&M stocks it, but for 2.50 an ounce with no reduction for larger volumes. Once in awhile I give it a go, as it beats their other lane blended aromatics. I┬┤ll have to grab a bag the next time I make it in, now... Thank you for reminding me! :)

3. MeerSteve

MeerSteve Member

I heard that 1-Q is the same as captain black royal, anybody know if thats true?

4. PipeWife

PipeWife Member

Similar, but not quite the same to my taste buds.

5. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Gonna have to try this blend. I love the pouch aroma of CB white, but then it stops there and if it doesnt, my tongue would remind me to stop. 1Q also doenst have as much goop as CB. Less goop is always better.
    I found a baccy called "All Day Long" when in Gettysburg and it was a similar aro that I enjoy very much.

6. MeerSteve

MeerSteve Member

I like captain black royal, really enjoy the note and it won't bite if you smoke it gently. I just get tired of the extra cleaning time after because it leaves a mess in the pipe. I rarely smoke it anymore.

7. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

1Q is great, I alternate between it and McC's TQ as my "workhorse" aromatic. I like to blend both with RLP-6 as it gives it bit of oomph and interest in the flavor department, but they are wonderful on their own as well.

CB Royal is an old favourite too, it's my understanding that it has more casing/additives/PG than 1Q to give it longer shelf life and more prominent flavor. For the price, I usually go with 1Q, but Royal is a nice pouch to keep in the car.

8. BigB

BigB Member

I got 2 oz. of this one recently as well due to it being so popular.

Room note is great (the wife loves it), tastes pretty good, but it does bite me a little if I'm not careful. Probably just puffing to much. It doesn't bite anything like Captain Black white did for me though. That stuff made the skin peel off the inside of my mouth.

9. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Like any tobacco, sip it slow. My first regular bowls ever were Lane MV-1000 (like CB Gold) and it bit me furiously because I had no sense of pace. It treats me much better these days. :)

CB White is more like Lane RLP-6 (black cavendish and burley) and has a flavor of raisins and marshmallow in addition to the vanilla/chocolate. 1Q and CB Royal are strictly vanilla/cocoa cavendish, both black and gold colorings. EDIT: They go very well blended together, incidentally. Heavenly note and a very interesting blend of flavors that complement each other well. Somewhat of a nic hit, though, so be careful if that's not your thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.