Lane RLP-6 vs. Captain Black (regular/white)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by bubbagump, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I've seen very little difference in RLP-6 and CBW except that RLP-6 has slightly less of a chemical flavor and more of a natural tobacco flavor - so marginal that many may not notice it, though. They are incredibly similar. Same with CB Royal and 1Q. I like to mix 1Q and RLP-6 50/50. McClelland's 'copy' of 1Q is called TQ and is very, very good, I prefer it to 1Q. I shall have to try this RSVP Invitation stuff!

Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish is a fine bag of aromatic tobacco for 15-20$. Very, very smooth and rich vanilla flavor. Always a solid buy.

I'm actually trying my hand at a personal blend using RLP-6, 1Q and some latakia, along with some light extra flavoring. Will be interesting to see how it is in a couple weeks :)

user3610 likes this.

2. tungbite

tungbite Member

I bought a package of Captain Black White a while ago and only smoked two bowls. It is the reason I swore off aromatics. The smell and after taste is repugnant to me. I can't believe that it sells so well. Just goes to show how smoker's tastes can be so different.:eek:

3. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

I like RLP-6 a little better than SPBC.

In Fact, with TK-6, 1-q, RLP-6, and BLWB, I couldn't be more than satisfied with the Lane Bulks and will continue to purchase and cellar them.

Add in some Carter Hall, Plumcake, Dans Blue Note, and Dunhill 965 and I have all my tastes satisfied.....

Dave Dueck likes this.
  4. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I found a local place that had some RLP-6. The black cavendish content was MUCH lower in that compared to Captain Black. I wasn't really impressed. I'll get to the legit tobacconist one of the days and see if their batch is any better.

I bought a bag of the Smoker's Pride Vanilla Cavenish (also made by Lane) instead. $14 for twelve ounces. It has a good amount of black cavendish, is very dry (easy to light), and isn't bad. It lacked the chemical taste that I mentioned. What I might do is add some PS-21 to that to kick the flaver up a notch. I would say that it's a good "on a budget" smoke.

5. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

I have had some success resently removing the repugnancy from CBW, by mixing it at various ratios with Kendal Kentucky. While still not great, it is at least to some degree palatable.

6. Bent

Bent Member

By reading your responses, I would say you are mainly a Cavendish smoker. If so, then I would suggest experimenting with blends heavy on the Black Cav. Peter Stokkebye makes some good ones.

I tried something similar. RLP-6 goes great with some Latakia. After experimenting with small amounts of tobacco so I could get something to my taste, I ended up with a nice and tasty blend composed of:
    15% latakia
    35% Virginia
    50% RLP-6

Dave Dueck and bubbagump like this.
  7. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Yup. I like their Vanilla Cavendish (PS-21). It has a consistency somewhere between top soil and blackened hardwood mulch, lol. It's good straight or to blend with other stuff.

8. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

So far mine is about 20% blending latakia, 40% 1Q and 40% RLP-6, with a bit of caramel flavoring added. I'm waiting another week to let the flavoring permeate the blend before I try it, but the tin note is becoming wonderfully tempting. If this batch works well, I'll try another using McClelland equivalents (TQ and RSVP) and see if I feel like amping up the latakia at all. Something tells me 20% is plenty, though.

9. Bent

Bent Member

I think you'll be happy with 20%. It's really not a lot but, considering you are blending a "crossover" I think you got plenty

10. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I think so too. As long as there's enough presence to add interest and balance the blend's sweet bias, and add a level of woodsmoke to the note I'll be plenty happy. I could go 25-30% or even more and still enjoy it, but then the room note gets adversely affected, depending on who is sniffing. I'm after a custom blend that pleases everyone :)

Bent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.