Lane's "LEO" pipe tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dmkerr, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I can't recall what PSF member(s) were curious as to my take on this, so once you've determined you're one of 'em, here ya go!

This won the People's Choice award at the John Cotton Throwdown last year. In other words, the judges didn't choose it as the closest to John Cotton's #1 and #2 blend, but the average Joe did.

Now, it's been too long since I've smoked the Cotton's but this blend did bring back some memories. It's very much a virginia-forward oriental blend with latakia, the orientals and latakia definitely taking up residence in the backseat, but doing a bit of backseat driving from time to time. It's a really nice blend - and cheap! I paid $7 a tin. That price will go up, I'm sure. Get some before it does. If you like latakia "in its place" and enjoy virginia, this is one to try. I haven't reviewed it fully on tr.com yet but I will eventually. 4 stars... maybe 3.5 rounded up.

Old Codger, Hawkwood, YAPPG and 3 others like this.

2. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I just ordered the Chief Catoonah's version called Princes Street. Chief actually won that contest. I will have to try the LEO as well but it won't mean anything to me as I never tried the John Cotton blend. I do like Latakia blends that don't overwelm you though.

Old Codger and psquared like this.
  3. dmkerr

If I find any, I'm splitting it with you and Berg. ;)

FlatbushPaul likes this.
  4. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

Old Codger had a thread up not long ago, and I was graced with a sample of both (LEO and Princes Street). I concur with your take on LEO, of the two I found Princes Street slightly more to my taste (more lat flavor). But both are fine smokes, I'll be purchasing.

Old Codger and FlatbushPaul like this.
  5. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

It's on backorder :(

6. dmkerr

The "Mad Dash" has begun!

Old Codger likes this.
  7. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

Is it a ribbon?

8. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

okay; well I ordered 10 anyway. On backorder for 3 - 5 days; the H&H AK is 5-7 days.

9. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

dmkerr and psquared like this.
  10. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

There is a Princes Street thread here where Leo was also mentioned. I love Princes Street, so I was curious to try this one out. Calls to PA and VA shops yielded only puzzled comments from the shop keeper. John Haynes, who owns the VA shop by that name (Fair Oaks location) said he would investigate and wasn't aware Lane had a tinned blend. I stopped by on Friday and yep, plenty in stock. I bought two tins, but now wish I'd have bought more. I've smoked two bowls today (on the road with my Ashton Sovereign). This is a great smoking tobacco and completely different than I had anticipated and Princes Street. There is just a hint of Latakia in it, which worried me as I like lat-forward blends (MM965 my go-to). My worries disappeared after the first bowl. I would say this is a more VA forward blend with some Latakia teasing, early in the bowl. There is a smidge of some oriental that adds a little variety. The ribbon blend packs and smokes wonderfully. I'm not much of a VA fan and the only VA I smoke is OGS. After just two bowls, I would say for me, this is a more enjoyable blend than OGS. This will be a nice change of pace from my other regular blends. I didn't note any nic at all, also good as I'm a nic-wimp. I'll have to try it in some other pipes, but it looks like I have a winner.

dBear, psquared and Old Codger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.