1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Last pipe for a long time

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by prole, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prole

prole Member

I think I mean it this time. Having to tighten the belt due to some major changes at work. It's been a pretty awful week without getting into all the details, but breaking in this custom pipe from Moretti has been a great diversion.

[​IMG]

For the size, and the fact that the rim is made of stone, it's balanced wonderfully and feels very natural in the hand. It won't show in the pictures but Marco put my initials on the shank, it's very discreet like I asked. The way the bowl is canted forward gives it sort of an aggresive lean that I love, and also keeps the stem from having any chance at tilting the piece backwards. This thing sits like a rock while being relatively light. I'm really pleased with it and have scratched the 'big pipe' itch for now which is a good thing, gonna need to save some pennies to keep this filled with all the latakia blends I'm getting into.

Thanks for taking a look,
    Cheers

[​IMG]

2. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Well, you are going out in style. Hope things work out at work.

3. Tanman

Tanman Member

Sweet pipe! Frog excellent choice also! Will say a prayer and hoping things at work go around for the better for you. I wish I could count how many times I said to myself last time, lol; such an addiction, but a good one!

4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

That is one awesome pipe!

5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Nice pipe. Hope things work themselves out at work. Until then, there are always cobs, and OTC and Stokkebye bulk tobaccos...

Preacher1611 likes this.
  6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

The rim is made of stone???
    Sweet rustication, though!
    Good luck with the work situation.

7. prole

prole Member

Thanks for all the kind words. My situation is still better than most so I won't make too much of a pity party out of it, but you're very kind and the thoughts/prayers are appreciated.

Yeah, I hadn't even noticed that until the guy at the B&M yesterday pointed it out to me. He said it was just a style thing. Is it a way to use a lower grade briar by the maker, tho? It doesn't bother me. With the rustication job done like this it's not as if the piece was conceived to show off a beautiful grain. Guess I should be asking Archer or Sas for what the story is behind this stone business.

Stone shot:
    [​IMG]

8. woody

woody Admin Admin

That is a very nice pipe. :puffy:

Capt likes this.
  9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Looks like briar to me. :msty:

prole likes this.
  10. ol gto

ol gto Member

Nice pipe, enjoy!

11. Scottly

Scottly Member

I'm no expert BUT I have a hard time believing thats stone. Looks like it was just left smooth and shows awesome grain.
    Can we get a ruling over here please :sh:

Rewster66 and prole like this.
  12. prole

prole Member

Alright, I emailed the carver Marco and asked. It sounds idiotic in hindsight the stone thing, but the guy said it so casually and confidently at the B&M yesterday I just assumed he was right. Maybe when I was asking about Frog Morton types he saw a rookie and wanted to wind me up a bit. :D

You guys have to be right tho. It looks and feels like briar, I see no visible seam at all... Here's a pic Marco sent while it was being worked on still...
    [​IMG]

13. snowman

snowman Member

Real nice looking pipe,Enjoy.

14. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

Yeah, I don't know of any stone that has grain like briar. I'd say it's a safe assumption that the rim is smooth briar.

Great pipe btw! It's HUGE. Looks like you could almost fit the entire tin of FM into it!

prole likes this.
  15. prole

prole Member

Ok, mystery over. The guy at Georgetown Tobacco was screwing with me or just misinformed.

From Marco at Moretti Pipes...

Preacher1611, qwik and dwaugh like this.
  16. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

A man-sized pipe!!!!! :th1:

Can't comment on the stone thing. And I'd hesitate to call it a way to hide "lower grade" briar. Sometimes the way the block is carved brings out lesser graining which rustication handles beautifully. But I sure as heck ain't no briar expert.

Enjoy that pipe, and I hope the work thing smooths out for you.

17. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Similar thinking. My first reaction was, "That ain't no girly pipe!"

Love it, prole.

18. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Very nice pipe.

19. furious

furious Junque collector

That pipe is massive! Way to go out in style. I, too, have to put the brakes on purchasing so I know where you are coming from.

20. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Nice combo that pipe & fm, good thing that rim isn't stone it would just add seam to a great pipe. Good luck with your pad, I was just about to mention you might want to see a "Padiatrist":bing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.