Last tin on earth?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Acehigh, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acehigh

Acehigh New Member

Hi, I'm new here and ought to introduce myself in the appropriate thread, but first I'd like to know if there's common knowledge of rare tobacco trading online? I've had this tin of AC Petersen Caledonian, Melange No. 421 in my small cabinet for more than ten years, still sealed and unopened after all this time. I remember my tobacconist selling it to me and telling me, "That's the last one I've got and I won't be getting any more. The company went out of business." So, I've resisted every temptation to open it. Every time I pull it out and think, "Maybe it's time..." I put it right back, thinking what it might be worth to my grandkids one day (that is if anyone's still smoking by then).

I look on Ebay from time to time, but it seems like all anyone has by ACP is Escudo, so I have no idea what it might be worth. I'd hate to deprive myself of a good smoke, should the occasion arise, but I'd also hate to eternally wonder "What if?"

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I've seen a few tins online and think
    they go for around 25 USD. Having
    said that, I smoked this blend for a
    decade (and still have some left), and
    I'd pop that tin! Nice Danish aro that
    is not overly goopy, or flavoured.
    AC Petersen still makes the Melange 10
    which is the Highland Cream, but it's
    not available stateside. Oh, Estervals
    had the 421 in 100g tins. So, it IS
    available. Again, smoke the stuff!

dp

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Smoke it and tell us how it is!

BTW, welcome to the site. :)

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

421 is the red tin, right?

It's a decent Hazelnut flavored Danish type tobacco. Nothing incredible, but a perfectly decent smoke in that genre. I doubt it's ever going to be worth a lot compared to rare/collectible tobaccos like GL Pease Bohemian Scandal or that kind of thing.

You could try to sell it and see what you get, because the truth is, it's not a tobacco worth crying over, and so if you sell it rather than smoke it... you ain't missing much!

Thing is, there's a hundred blends, or maybe a thousand that are no longer produced simply because they weren't very popular. Or in some cases the distribution channels just dry up. If you look at Pipestud's online shop, you can see all kinds of tins that you'll never even have heard of and most go for under 20 bucks cuz no one knows what the hell they are. Rothschild's Supreme? Who knows what the hell that is?

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Sas,

Yep, the red tin. AKA: Superior Mixture

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.