Latakia bite

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by DanielO, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielO

DanielO Member

I recently posted a thread about experiencing tongue bite after not experiencing it for a year. I just realized that I have just branched out in to English blends, and it is mostly with them that the bite is occurring. Has anyone ever experienced "latakia bite?" I'd hate to think that this entire family of tobaccos is closed off to me, but perhaps I have to accept that that's life.

2. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Which blends have you been trying? I've found a few that bite with me, but a lot don't, such as Squadron Leader or RRR.

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

"Latakia bite"??....I've never experienced it in fifty years - thankfully!. I would wager it's more the fault of what some entrepeneurial blender has added the Latakia to!, or - dare I say it, something a little amiss with 'technique'?.
    OT

Mark w4mms and Dunlibi like this.
  4. DanielO

DanielO Member

Va's don't do it, Va/Per's don't do it, burleys don't do it, aros don't do it, only blends with latakia do it. It's odd.

5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

For me, latakia is very well behaved. Smooth, soft, and gentle. I love the "camp fire" experience. If you can master this smoke you'll be opened up to some fantastic blends!

OBD.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Latakia isn't a biting tobacco but some orientals can be and of course, virginias can. I'm very hesitant to blame the latakia. What blends have you smoked that bit you?

Of course it can always be a chemical imbalance between you and the tobacco. I've told this story before, so those who have heard it before can go watch tv, but there is one notable blend that bites me before I even light it. All I have to do is load my pipe, stick the pipe in my mouth and wait 20 seconds. Tongue sizzle. That's obviously due to something within me rather than the blend.

I'd recommend you try a blend with no orientals - just VA and latakia, such as McClellands Anniversary. There are more but my mind's a blank at the moment.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

DK is quite right. Orientals can be a bit nippy or spicy but in a different way than how perique is spicy in flavors but still feels as if the mouth got set ablaze mildly anyways. Does the bite last beyond an hour after the smoke or after you brush your teeth? If so, yelp, you gotz tongue bite. Doubt it was the lat. Could be the va's and ori's in combo and tasting so good ya got runnin along carried away with the smoke?

Ed
    Puff

8. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

My Grandpa once told me, "Smoking a pipe is never a race."

Make it a point to relax and slow down your puffing cadence. The slower it burns, the cooler it burns and you get a lot more flavor and much less to no bite.

TRAVIS likes this.
  9. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

One more thought and this is kinda off the wall. Were you by chance drinking a hot beverage before or during your smoke? This has happened to me more than once. A few times I thought I was getting tongue bite. I thought about it and I remembered scalding the tip of my tongue with hot tea/coffee. The kind of hot you take into your mouth but spit it back in your cup as quickly as you can.

If I burn my tongue in this way the burn can last me up to a week. Just something else to consider.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

10. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Sounds like the other guys have this covered pretty well, and I just have to agree, I bet it isn't the Latakia.

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Mister Ditto-rama.
    The Dittomeister.
    The Ditto'ster.

Mark w4mms and Mington like this.
  12. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

The heack it ain't the latakia. After 41 years of pipe smoking, if I smoke latakia much, my tongue gets bit. I have experiment every way possible but latakia nd only latakia does this to me. I think that it's a body chemistry thing. Try something with just a touch of latakia in it if you like the taste. For me, MacBarons The Solent Blend is the best one for me to not bite.

13. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I have a friend that smokes The Solent Blend for the same reason.

14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Fascinating, Captain. A condition that only affects only the new and the very, very, very old of your species. Like the flu and e. coli of your ancient earth.

[​IMG]

jpberg and Mark w4mms like this.
  15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Could be something aboy Latakia dosent agree w/ you .... I mean , some people dont like PBR , go figure

jpberg likes this.
  16. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Could very well be a body chemistry problem for you. I have a hard time with of all things, burley. That stuff bites me like a rabid dog.
    Try mixing one of your lat blends 50/50 with McClelland 5100 or some other straight Va. Do the same with PA or some other Burley. If the bite is considerably less, it's pro'lly the Latakia.

17. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Latakia, in it's best form is a pungent, but mild tobacco. I have never known it to bite. Some English blends can be a bit bitey, but it is the Va or orientals. Could be a body chemistry thing too though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.