Latakia for indoors

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by buistd, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Active Member

Hi there - I am wondering if anyone can recommend for me a tobacco containing latakia that I can smoke indoors without leaving too much of a smell. The weather as it is over here in the UK it is not always possible to smoke outdoors, or even indoors with windows open. I know that the answer is probably a big no but is there any kind of aromatic latakia blend? If not I would be interested to hear people's opinions of blending a latakia with some kind of aromatic. Thanks.

2. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

Gawith & Hogarth Bob's chocolate flake is an aromatic described as containing a small amount of latikia but i've never been able to taste the latikia in it. You could try buying some latikia and making your own mixture

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi David and welcome to the forum!
    You might wanna give Dunhill 965 a try. It contains Latakia, is a bit nutty in flavour and leaves quite a nice room note as well.
    P.S.: Seeing your name: Are you the one who bought the Butz Choquin pipe on ebay from me? If so, I do sincerely hope you're pleased with it!:)

Chris

4. buistd

buistd Active Member

Hi Chris - It was indeed me! Small world (literally in the world of pipe smoking). The pipe was great but I've actually relisted it as it was quite a bit bigger than I thought (my fault, not yours)! I cleaned it out and smoked it a couple of times but I just prefer something a little smaller. I'm sure that once I get more heavily entrenched in the world of pipe smoking I'll regret getting rid of it but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

As it happens I have been smoking MM965 and I've found it has left a smell. Nothing too unpleasant but a tobacco-y smell nevertheless. The perils of carpets and curtains I suppose. I've got some SG Skiff to try next once I finish the 965.

5. buistd

buistd Active Member

Hi - I have actually tried this. It's definitely one I'll get again in the future. The first few bowls I had I didn't really notice the latakia or chocolate but then the last couple of bowls I smoked before I ran out, the flavours really came out. I guess it had reached a perfect level of moisture. The latakia was definitely subtle but it was there and the chocolate flavour was lovely.

I was thinking about ordering some Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake to see how it compares. Any idea?

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Good luck with your re-list, David! Maybe you can make some profit and spend it on tobacco!!!:)
    Actually: Dunhill 965 was about the only tobacco my (now) Ex-girlfriend used to like -as a non-smoker.:puffy:

7. buistd

buistd Active Member

Maybe I can make some profit and spend it on a pipe?!

shadow likes this.
  8. Capt

Capt Active Member

Frog Morton on the Town contains Latikia, but leaves a superb room note according to my wife.

9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Do you have or have you tried some regular Frog Morton Capt.? FM and FM OTT are 2 of my fav. Englishes and probably the 1st 2 I ever tried.

10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

My wife likes the smell of Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture. Another, that may not be available in the U.K., but you could have shipped from the U.S. is Shortcut to Mushrooms from Just for Him. My wife not only likes the smell, but she will smoke it too. Its a little sweeter than most Lat blends and is very smooth. Has been popular in the last couple of PSF box passes as well.

11. Capt

Capt Active Member

I have tried On The Town and Across the Pond. Both I really enjoy. I was thinking about taking a ride over to JR's this week. I know they usually have some great aged tins. I went there back in March, and was finding McClelland tins from 05-08!!

12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I have all 4 FM's and my 2 favs are FM and FMOTT (which were the 1st 2 of the 4 I bought anyways). JR is great. Good call for sure! Churchills has a nice variety too, but is more expensive. There are also a few Churchills I have been too; Southfield, West Bloomfield, and Birmingham (once).
    I have found (and bought) Samuel Gawith at JR and Churchills too, but they are long gone.

13. Capt

Capt Active Member

Last time I was at Churchill's in WB, I bought 1/2 box of Opus X "A". lol

14. Mack Daddy

Mack Daddy Member

Check out Sillem's Black. It has a nice Latakia flavor and a decent spicy room note. My wife is pretty picky about "stinky" tobacco, but she doesn't mind this one....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.