Latakia forward blend help.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by afiaowo, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Although I’ve only smoked a few bowls, my benchmark Latakia blend is Old Ironsides. Due to the availability of this blend I’m searching for another Latakia forward blend.

I enjoy C&D’s Pirate Kake very much. The thing I don’t like about it is the mouth feel. It’s very dry.

I’m finishing up a tin of Star of the East Flake from 09 which adds the mouth feel but the intensity of the Latakia is less. This might be due to the age of the tin. I’ve read that Latakia mellows over time.

Where might I go from here?

I’m considering:

H&H Magnum Opus, Cerberus, Black House & Larry’s Blend.

It seems there’re several from the Captain Earle’s series (Ten Russians, Stimulus Package, Earle’s Nightwatch and Diamond) might do.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

YAPPG likes this.

2. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I have had and like:
    Larry's Blend, and Capt. Earle's 10 Russians and Stimulous Package.
    :thu2:

YAPPG, Spillproof and afiaowo like this.
  3. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I've had Ten Russians and Stimulus package, both good. Dunhill 965, Nightcap, also good. Bishop's Move is pretty good, too.

YAPPG, afiaowo and Mington like this.
  4. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

Have you tried SG Commonwealth yet? Or C&D Byzantium or Black Frigate? Byzantium is inexpensive in bulk. PS Balkan Supreme is Lat-forward and inexpensive, but maybe not enough Latakia for you.

YAPPG, afiaowo and Mington like this.
  5. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Among the blends mentioned in the original post, I've had Magnum Opus, Larry's Blend, and Pirate Kake. I like Magnum Opus the best of those three but if you think Pirate Kake leaves your mouth dry, you might not like Magnum Opus. In my opinion, it's a better tasting blend but it does leave my mouth dry and I've never had that problem with Pirate Kake. However, it's such a good blend that I don't mind the dry mouth feeling.

C&D Byzantium was my all time favorite blend up until a few months ago. I don't get the dry mouth effect from it either.

I've been wanting to try Black House but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm afraid I might like it better than Magnum Opus and I'm not quite ready for that just yet.

Truth be told, Magnum Opus is the only pipe tobacco I've ever smoked that gives me cottonmouth but it's worth it ten times over.

YAPPG and afiaowo like this.
  6. JHeiliger

JHeiliger Sales Account

I smoke a ton of Black House. PM me your address, and I can shoot you a sample... It'll save you from buying a bunch of baccy that you might not like.

Joe

jpberg, YAPPG, dBear and 4 others like this.
  7. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

That's the spirit, Joe! :th1: Why didn't I think of that?

afiaowo, I can supply you with a small sample of Magnum Opus. PM your address and it's a done deal.

YAPPG, dBear, afiaowo and 1 other person like this.
  8. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Thanks a ton JHeiliger and Buckshot! :nwor:

YAPPG likes this.
  9. JHeiliger

JHeiliger Sales Account

I'm also going to send you a sample of Blue Mountain. It's flavors are a little more rounded by the Virginias. You may enjoy it also. It and Black House are similar but different...

afiaowo and YAPPG like this.
  10. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

Larry's Blend would be the cleanest tasting lat IMHO. I love it. But I like the others mentioned, too. No mouth coating with Larry's blend.

afiaowo likes this.
  11. JHeiliger

JHeiliger Sales Account

afiaowo - As I was packing up your goodies this morning, I ran across another great blend that I have that is similar... Smokers Haven Exotique Mixture.

I'm going to throw in a sample of that as well.

Joe

jpberg, afiaowo and YAPPG like this.
  12. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Wowzer! I really appreciate this.

13. JHeiliger

JHeiliger Sales Account

i just figured if I'm going to send you a package, I might as well send you what I can to help your investigation!

My pleasure...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.