Latakia: Syrian vs. Cyprian in English.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Ol Brokedik, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I have made a discovery. I very much prefer Cyprian latakia to Syrian. I can't taste Syrian latakia and this perplexes me.
    This revelation did not come overnight. I'm glad I didn't rush the discovery process. By trial and error,I've reached the conclusion that I don't appreciate english with Syrian latakia. This is both a disappointment and a relief.
    To me,this is a critical first step for anyone looking to get into English. Determine which latakia you prefer, first. Once you know this you can make educated choices. I believe part of being smart is knowing what you don't like.

Q. How many of you prefer Syrian?
    Q. How many of you prefer Cyprian?

I'd like to know.
    Be well. Thanks.

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I can't say as I have a preference. What tobaccos are you using as examples to make your conclusion? I will say that I think Cyprian has a more pronounced flavor, but there is a lot more going on in the bowl(xanthi, yenidje, maybe some Kentucky, perique, etc.) than just the Latakia itself.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I prefer syrian due to it's sweeter flavor which really complement the va's it's usually blended with.

Cyprian is stronger in flavor though and seems to have a more smokey woodsy taste IMO.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

P.S. try some that have some of each. Both lats work well together too (in the right proportions)

4. Ol Brokedik

5. SimeonTurner

SimeonTurner Member

Man, I love Syrian vs. Cyprian. The Syrian is definitely less pronounced....I would even say more mellow than Cyprian, IMO, and that allows subtleties in the blend to shine through more. I find with Cyprian I usually get JUST a latakia (campfire) taste as the dominant flavor character, which while not a bad thing, isn't as complex as Syrian.

3 Oaks is a great blend to compare the 2 versions. Since it is essentially the same blend with the exception of the latakia, you can really compare the differences between the two. I love 3 Oaks Syrian above all other blends, personally. :)

6. Ol Brokedik

Hi jpberg. The mixture I was refering to was H&H Vintage Syrian. From the description I should have loved it. I put it away and went back to it several times. I finally mixed it with some 5100 Red. I prefer the tastes of Margate,Penzance etc. Am I too narrow minded with this impression?
    I just got several pounds of C&D's Pirate Kake. I'm a Lat. lover too. PK is good stuff but I have to watch myself or my mouth gets really dry. I have a tea with it.
    I see your a JF Germain Special Latakia Flake man. I tried SG Balkan Flake and I just didn't get it. Q. Would you recomend Germains SLF to another Lat. lover?
    Be well.

7. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Syrian for me personally, as I do not like one aspect of a blend to overpower the rest, like Cyprian can do a lot.

8. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i generally prefer latakia blends with cyprian latakia. that being said, a little cyprian goes a long way, and with a healthy helping of turkish varietals played against a nice naturally sweet VA, i genuinely have a hard time telling it from a larger dose of syrian with the same playmates.

i think they're both good stuff, though, and given the right blend either one can shine magnificently.

9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

B.D., I wouldn't begin to call you narrow minded. You've done your homework and you know what you like. I guess I just struggled with the supposition that you could like one and not the other. When I went down my list of favorite blends, they were almost split down the middle Cyprian/Syrian, so I'm assuming that its the interplay of the spices working off the latakia that is what I'm enjoying.

The Special Latakia Flake is a bit quieter than either Penzance or Margate, personally, it's my favorite of the three. (Let me add that I could be happy having any of them be the only thing I ever smoked) I would very much recommend getting some when you can, as well as some Krumble Kake from Smokers Haven, which is Penzances dirty little cousin.

I'm with you on the C&D blends, I've tried very hard to like them, but I can't get any to really work for me. I had some luck pressing and stoving some 968R, but it still didn't really fall into place where I could enjoy it without reservation.

I can't comment at all about the Vintage Syrian, as I swore off Macbaren a long time ago.

Thanks for posting your original question, it did me some good to run this stuff through my thick skull.

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

I like both and, to me, it depends on how much is used and what it is blended with.
    C&D Crowley's Best and Morley's Best both use Cyprian. CB is o.k., MB is (IMO) great.
    McClelland has blends with both types. I think Rose of Latakia (Syrian) is o.k., but, both of the 3 Oaks Blends (one with Cyprian and one with Syrian) are on my "keep stocked" list. They are different and great.
    I just got a tin of MacB HH Vintage Syrian. I've only had one bowl so far so it's too early to make a judgement. If this post is still active after I finish a few more bowls, maybe I'll be able to add something more.
    Enjoy all of your smokes.
    Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.