Latest Pipe Smoking Purchase 2018

Serenity

Just received my package from Frank @sorringowl and his fine sons. Pictures simply don’t do this justice.

This is without a doubt the finest “gentleman’s item” I own. (Which isn’t much admittedly as I’m a gentleman in name only...)

Many years ago, I used to CCW in fine leather. But the Florida heat just made that a miserable mess for me and I moved to Kydex a long time ago. Frank’s work would make me seriously reconsider that if he did gun leather.....

View attachment 14104
Man that is beautiful, can almost smell the leather from here.

I snagged this beauty during that SmokingPipes sale a week ago. I'd told myself that I was done buying factory-made pipes, but I couldn't resist this awesome jaw hanger. It's so light(!), and it was cheap. I further justified the purchase by my love for Savinelli's 6mm balsa "filters"—they give a nice dry smoke without compromising flavor. Well, I think this might've surpassed the 904KS as my favorite Savinelli shape. The simple, elegant, and functional 603:

I've never had these three blends before. The SPC Mississppi River is great, in fact it's amazing considering it has such mixed reviews. In the past, several of you have told me not to put so much stock into reviews (@Tsal - you come to mind). So I've made a resolution to not read reviews before trying blends. It almost ruins the experience. Furthermore, I've tried quite a few blends which had mixed and/or bad reviews, and 9 times out of 10, I ended up liking 'em just fine.

Junk store score: BBB Own Make 970. It’ll clean up nicely. Does this shape have a name? Maybe a bent pot? Bent Dublin?

My personal favorite shape, most commonly referred to as bent pot, though different makers call it by different names. It makes it difficult to find them. I've been actively collecting them for several years from various makers. I like the 'toilet seat' rims.

leacha

░░░░░
Patron
I snagged this beauty during that SmokingPipes sale a week ago. I'd told myself that I was done buying factory-made pipes, but I couldn't resist this awesome jaw hanger. It's so light(!), and it was cheap. I further justified the purchase by my love for Savinelli's 6mm balsa "filters"—they give a nice dry smoke without compromising flavor. Well, I think this might've surpassed the 904KS as my favorite Savinelli shape. The simple, elegant, and functional 603:

I've never had these three blends before. The SPC Mississppi River is great, in fact it's amazing considering it has such mixed reviews. In the past, several of you have told me not to put so much stock into reviews (@Tsal - you come to mind). So I've made a resolution to not read reviews before trying blends. It almost ruins the experience. Furthermore, I've tried quite a few blends which had mixed and/or bad reviews, and 9 times out of 10, I ended up liking 'em just fine.
I've become a fan of the Savinelli Dry System when walking the dog. Those filters work, at least in the bent pipes when I'm smoking a baccy that makes my mouth water.
The mixed reviews for SPC MR are due to the change of manufacturing to Sutliff. Pipe smokers generally hate change.