Latest pipe smoking purchase? (old)

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Kyle Black, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Never thought sabot that befit Nesta, that is a good idea! I also like that they keep ambers from blowing out and hitting me while walking the dog.

I tried to pick up some Holiday Spirit but they were sold out. Just ordered it and Blue Mountain from P&C.

2. redskull13

redskull13 Member

Ordered in a few corn cobs, a sampler of McClelland's Orientals, Peterson Holiday Seaon Blend 2011. McClelland Holiday Spirit 2011, Frog Morton.

3. Gary

Gary Member

Took my better half to the airport today. After dropping her off I hit the GPS search for "pipe" to see if there were any B&Ms nearby. Lo and behold, 8.5 miles away was a place I'd never been to, so hit GO and off I went. (sigh).....

Turned out to be a great store...unfortunately the owner thinks he'll be pushed out of business by the county's proposed tax increase on pipe and cigar tobaccos. Said he won't be able to afford to stay in business. A real shame because this is a nice store. Been in business for nearly 40 years. Nice guy....he let me step behind the counter to look through the variety of tins while he walked around the store doing other things. Those that I decided to buy, I stacked on the counter. Anyway, while I was there I grabbed the following:

1 MM Hard bottomed cob with long straight stem. (My other two are the soft type with a slightly bent stem that I can't seem to get a pipe cleaner through).
    6 soft pipe bits. I like!
    1 50g tin Peterson University Flake
    1 50g tin Balkan Sobranie
    1 50g tin Dunhill Nightcap
    1 56g tin Esoterica Penzance
    1 100g tin Rattray's Charles Mixture
    1 50g tin FMOTB
    2 oz sample of their own "Rich, Matured Virginia". No flavorings added.

When I got home I went to pop open the Rattray's and found it had already been opened. Not much missing I guess, but seems a bit on the dry side. I haven't called the guy yet, but I plan to. Not sure I'm going to make a big deal out of it since I am the one who grabbed the tin, but didn't think I'd need to inspect it! Oh well. Hopefully it's not THAT old.

Already tried:

the Virginia sample: I liked it. Strong smoke. Broke in the new cob with it.
    Penzance: At first I thought "Yikes, what's that flavor? That'll ghost this pipe!" and thought to dump it. After the initial few hits it settled down and was actually pleasant.
    Rattray's. Enjoyed this despite the fact that I'm not quite sure how fresh this might be.

Somebody stop me!

4. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Alot of B&M will open one tin for samples and leave it on the shelf. You may have grabbed that one. In that case I don't think the owner would have a prob. switching it out.

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I just have to say that I for one am sick of being everyone's freakin' Daddy Warbucks. Is there any level of government that can't add another tax to tobacco?! If they want to raise real money, levy a 1% tax on soda. It'll be a windfall for government, the tax will fall on something else no one really needs, and no one will be put out of business because of it. I'd be surprised if the county this guy is in nets $10,000.00 per year from their new tax, but they'd make millions from the sale of soda pop. Jeez, people, get your heads out of your a$$es. There are only a few pipe and cigar smokers for every hundred citizens, but I defy anyone to find one in every hundred who hasn't knocked back at least one Coke every week.

Smokey, EmperorGix, Kiowapipe and 2 others like this.
  6. Gary

Gary Member

Well said. I Totally agree with you. Gov't talks about the problem of child obesity in the US. You'd think they'd do as you suggest and tax soda or candy. But, noooooo.

HCraven likes this.
  7. Beale

Beale Active Member

One Tin of Christmas Cheer 2011.

8. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

And, how is it? Hoping to get a tin Friday or next Friday. (that's my smoke shop day usually.)

9. Iain

Iain Active Member

This Kaywoodie Continental showed up in the mail today, it's an estate but looks like it's only been smoked once or twice. The stem is a push fit with removable stinger unlike the Kaywoodies I've seen before, apparently made for the European market?

[​IMG]

10. Scottly

Scottly Member

Sharp pipe, I like it.

11. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

Don't you DARE tax my candy. :mad: The second amendment was put in the Constitution to protect our rights and freedom AND our candy. Watchit mister... :p: I kid... but I agree about taxing the soda! EDIT: A $0.01 "Sin Tax" on soda and candy will make America healthy and rich.

I bought something from SmokingPipes... again. :oops: The first estate pipe that I bought for myself. Pics when I get it. First bowl in it is going to be MacBaren's HH Vintage Syrian followed by some Boswell's Christmas Cookie... I'm gonna go flagellate myself now. (Flagellate, not flatulate.)

12. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

My first Rad Davis pipe:
    [​IMG]

13. Indianapuff

Indianapuff Member

50 g. tin of Squadron Leader

14. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Oh you dirty bugger. :D Love it.

Gary likes this.
  15. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

:ohyh:

16. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Great looking KW, Iain! Well done, mate.

Gary likes this.
  17. Gary

Gary Member

Beautious

18. Spam

Spam Member

50g tin of OGS.

19. homebrewer

homebrewer Member

Got me another cob.

20. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

A Baki meer:

http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/bakidansk2.html

By far the nicest new pipe I've ever bought, and it's not even for me... :doh:
    It's going to be a gift for my brother in law. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not ordinarily that generous (or possessed of that kind of pipe money) but he's helped me out a lot on a few house projects lately and I really owe him. I think he'll appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.