Latest pipe smoking purchase?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by woody, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've had a bit of an unpleasant experience with P&C recently, though I'm happy with the pipe I got. The Kendal Dark, which they didn't tell me was back ordered until the day the package was delivered, and didn't refund until then, either, has been cancelled.

Marscigars.com has it in stock though. With affordable shipping. AND THEY STOCK THE ORIGINAL SHAG CUT VERSION!

So I just placed an order for 8oz. We'll see this is! I cut my teeth on the shag, but I wasn't much "good" at smoking a pipe back then. I like the new, ribbon cut....but I kind of miss the shag. We'll see if it's as good as I remember, or if it's tough to keep it cool!

dBear and fishnbanjo like this.

2. CoreyR

CoreyR Living the sweet life!

I just picked up some Frog Morton on the Bayou and an extra Tavern Pipe in Williamsburg. :bing:

[​IMG]
    My new stuff.
    [​IMG]
    Me trying out "On the Bayou" in my new Tavern pipe.

Old Codger, PipeSimmo, dBear and 7 others like this.
  3. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

I love Williamsburg, some of my fondest childhood memories. Where is the B&M? (Never visited being of smoking age)

fishnbanjo likes this.
  4. CoreyR

It is a "Havana Connections" location (a Richmond chain) in Newtown on Courthouse Road. The HC's near me, in the Richmond area, are less than ideal but this one is pretty good. They have a better selection of pipe tobacco than any B&M in Richmond and they offer free samples. I like it and pop by anytime I am in town.

5. Robin

Robin Member

Tell me about the Tavern pipe, is it clay? Is it as fragile as it looks? How's it smoke? Where do you get pipe cleaners for it? It looks cool ! :)

dBear, Thuber88 and fishnbanjo like this.
  6. user3221

user3221 Member

:th1:x:thu2:

Love those clay pipes - !
    I'll have one Someday.............

dBear, Thuber88 and fishnbanjo like this.
  7. CoreyR

Oh, it IS "cool," in so many ways! As for "pipe cleaners?" That is a relative term. None fit. I use florist wire to ream it out. That is the only thing, which I have found, that is thin enough to fit the stem. I use plain steel wool to clean the rest of it.

dBear, Robin, fishnbanjo and 2 others like this.
  8. CoreyR

Surprisingly, it is not that fragile. Or, maybe I just take care when I am smoking it. I store them in a "fireplace match holder" which I have lined with green felt. Yes, they are clay and I use florist wire to clean them because the stem is VERY narrow. It gives a very cool smoke and NOTHING ghosts the pipe.

9. Robin

Robin Member

Thanx for the info CoreyR, I got ta git me one o them ! :) Oh my I love to spend money, what will it set me back I wonder.....

fishnbanjo and Thuber88 like this.
  10. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

They aren't very expensive...I want to say $20 max depending on the size

fishnbanjo, Thuber88 and Robin like this.
  11. Robin

Robin Member

Amazing, something I both like and can afford! That doesn't happen everyday! :)

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

This is just what I gather from reading things on random parts of the internet, and I don't claim it to be true (though it sounds reasonable enough to me):

-clay pipes were most popular in the days before they had pipe cleaners like we use today
    -conventional wisdom states that they were so long because a tavern would own the pipe and when a customer wanted a smoke, they'd use the tavern's pipe, breaking a bit off the end before use. longer pipes meant longer term of use
    -it's been suggested that conventional wisdom is wrong in this regard, that they were long to prevent having to hold hot parts of the pipe while smoking. the idea of "germs" wasn't a big part of the populace's understanding of the world and they wouldn't likely be uncomfortable with sharing a pipe. the pipes often broke not because of customers snapping off the bit for hygienic purposes, but because drunk people handling long, thin clay objects are likely to break them once in a while
    -clay is fireproof, but it can crack with physical impact and sudden cooling when initially very hot. it's been suggested that the pipes were smoked until smoking them was difficult, then to clean them they merely stuck them in the fireplace and burned all the **** out of them. when the fire went out and the pipe cooled, it just needed a rinse and a final drying period and then it's good as new. Rinsing the ash out of the pipe before it's cooled down could potentially cause it to break (like glass - contracting too quickly), I don't know if that happens with clay. If you don't have a fireplace or don't use it during warm weather, a backyard charcoal grill or firepit would would just as well.

Again, I don't have any clay pipes and am not actually advocating any of this as true. But it's my understanding based on past reading at various websites, specific examples of which escape me at the moment.

13. krusty

krusty Active Member

Just received from SmokingPipes:
    2 tins of Hamborger Veermaster
    1 tin of Escudo

and a Peterson's "Donegal Rocky" 999 with fishtail and silver mount.

[​IMG]

PipeSimmo, Artistik, jpberg and 10 others like this.
  14. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Old post I know, but where did you order that from? Very nice looking.

fishnbanjo and dBear like this.
  15. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Sexay.

16. CoreyR

About $25 plus shipping on Ebay. I shall be putting one on there this weekend. LOL

17. CoreyR

and that is for a 16 incher. Think of it as a clay/churchwarden. I will have to see what they are going for before I post it but I am not going higher than $25. If they are going for less than that, "buy it now" then I shall post it for a tad bit less than the regular as long as it is at least $20 plus the shipping. Just so long I have enough for more clays and to put some money toward my Frog Morton addiction. LOL

18. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Member

Just sprung for a Trypsis Grade 6 Poker.

[​IMG]

19. Robin

Robin Member

Mr. fishnbanjo, is there such a thing as enough pipes? :P You have an awful lot of pretty pipes!

20. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Member

Life is too short for ugly pipes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.