Lawn Mowing Pipe

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by DGErwin11, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Same here with the Cobs. I usually load up an MM Pride with something mild and savory. I sent my last Carter Hall out to Craig so the last few times it's been Sutliff Westminster, STM, or one of the Frogs. I've tried to use a beater briar but I really seem to clinch when I'm doing chores, so I really like the soft bit on MM's. And they're cheap to replace when I chew them up.

Thuber88 likes this.

2. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

How quaint, mowing the lawn. Something I have not done in 55 years. We don't have lawns in midtown Manhattan. But if I had a lawn and if I could still smoke a cob sounds good.

Tsal and furious like this.
  3. furious

furious Junque collector

I must admit that I am more than a little envious of your living situation!! I often ponder what it would be like to live in NYC, especially in midtown Manhattan, which I do recall has some rather posh rooftop terrace gardens that need constant tending, although I expect this job is not often undertaken by their owners.

Do you miss cutting the grass of your childhood?? I find that while it definitely feels like a chore during the hot summer months here in suburban central MD, it can be quite relaxing in the early spring and autumn esp. with a pipe hanging from your gob.

surlysoul likes this.
  4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Fr me it's usually either a cob, or this year's POY, the acrylic stem on the Kaywoodie is tough enough that I don't worry about clenching too hard if I'm bouncing around on the mower, and the generous bowl usually lasts until I'm done.

surlysoul likes this.
  5. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Furious: I hated mowing the lawn. We had one of those push mowers, which made it a real chore. What I do miss is the innocence of 1950s Eisenhower America. Rows of houses with lawns and those wonderful 1940s cars in the driveway. Just going to school, delivering newspapers afterwards and not a thought about terrorists, taxes and dumb politicians. Living in Manhattan is difficult, but not boring. It is a constant battle with noise, pollution, crime, stupidity and police brutality. And everything costs more than anywhere else in the country except maybe San Francisco. I would much prefer a house in small town America, but am too old to maintain such a place and though I dream of moving to Denver, my big city of choice, I never will.

Tsal and furious like this.
  6. furious

furious Junque collector

I remember those old manual push mowers. They really made it a chore back then for sure! I wish I had the opportunity to have come of age during the "Leave It To Beaver" age of the 1950s, although I know nostalgia for that period is so great that it tends to accentuate the positive and forget about the rest. Hell, I have noticed a big difference between the 1980s and today as far as growing up is concerned.

For example, I guess I was a typical suburban kid back in the 80s who was outside all summer long playing with friends in the neighborhood with the only rule being to look both ways before crossing the road and to be home in time for supper. That's it. Kids were out and about at a very young age with no supervision. You just don't see that anymore today; in fact, parents arrange "play dates" for kids now where everything is so controlled it is unreal. Product of the times of course. Anyway, I enjoy reading your posts, upinsmoke, and I appreciate your perspective on things.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

surlysoul likes this.
  7. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Like this is the first post to get hijacked.:rolleyes:

surlysoul likes this.
  8. Tsal

Tsal Old Timey

Your not missing anything in Denver! I've lived in the East Village for 12 years, it took me 11 to leave. I loved the city just hated the congestion.

9. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I lived in the east Bronx, until the age of seven, one of the worst neighborhoods in the country. My mother used to send me out to play alone when I was 2 1/2 years old. She was hoping I wouldn't come back. I was detained for trying to steal a truck before age 3. Then we moved to the suburbs. I did not know how to cope with the lack of violence. I got kicked out of the cub scouts for attacking another kid. This was 1 minute into my first meeting (attended under severe protest).

10. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Sorry Doug, no disrespect intended.

DGErwin11 likes this.
  11. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

12. furious

furious Junque collector

Sounds like a good story in there! I remember enjoying cub scouts until the dues cut into my baseball card fund, then I promptly stopped going. The nature hunts were fun and so was learning how to tie all of the knots. Still have my pocketknife somewhere.

I posted a new thread about childhood memories to which I hope you all will contribute. It is really interesting reading about these memories that have been long trapped in one's mind.

13. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Ive been using my DGE Poker for yardwork...its big and gets the job done...

Its those 80's kids that are all growed up and arranging the play dates now, though...

furious likes this.
  14. Terry292

Terry292 Member

Back when I used to mow my own lawn, I usually smoked one of my three Dr Grabow Big Pipes, or a cob. We had a zero-turn mower, and it was sort of difficult to take one hand off the steering levers to take the pipe out of my mouth.

For the last few years, though, I've paid a friend to take care of our lawn. He needs the money, and my business keeps me hopping most weekdays. There just isn't enough daylight left by the time I get home to do the lawn work. And, on weekends, we have other things planned most of the time.

My friend does a better job of lawn care than I ever did, or, at least, that's what I keep telling myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.