Layering tobaccos in the same pipe?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Old Codger, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

I've been trying out two different tobaccos in 3 or 4 pipes just to get an idea of where they work for me.
    Peterson's P3 and Summertime 2011. I just loaded up the bottom half of the bowl with P3 and then filled up the rest with the Summertime 2011. Really interesting as I smoked through it. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and thoughts on it.

2. Gig

Gig Member

Yes i do it all the time, its called a parfait. I do it so I dont waste tobacco which is too small amount to fill a pipe from samples. Sometimes I get a very tasty blend and sometimes not :)

Old Codger and shadow like this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I always parfair SWR on the top and Sugar Barrel on bottom. By the time SWR becomes sour, the sweetness of the Sugar Barrel takes over.

I've done it with others to varying effect. I also have a double-bowled meerschaum that is an... interesting experience. Variations of the parfait as the two tobaccos progress at different speeds.

Rewster66 likes this.
  4. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Double bowled? My curiosity and interest have been seriously piqued. Could you guide me to a photo of one?

5. dmkerr

Shortly. I'll take a pic of mine when my new digital camera gets here. Christmas present, from me to me. I don't think IMP makes them anymore so I don't know where another pic would be.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Having two tobies in the same bowl is a good way of getting rid of dregs.
    When using cube cuts I use a ribbon cut on top for easier lighting. And this is what I'm having at the moment.... yummy!!!:bing:

Gary and Ol Brokedik like this.
  7. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Thanks for that. Now that I know the term "Parfait", the search function yielded quite a bit on this.
    It's the start of a good day when you can learn something.

Jesla, Gary and TRAVIS like this.
  8. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I've seen pics of double barreled pipes. How does it smoke? My thoughts were that if you packed one side a little tightly the other would draw better might take a fair bit of practice to keep one of these going well.

9. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

10. dmkerr

Yes, but mine does not have the lattice.

11. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

That's an interesting pipe. Trying to get my head around getting both bowls going.

I wouldn't buy it finished in lattice. Last Lattice I had cracked during it's second smoke. One of the holes had been bored in just a little too deeply. I prefer smooth finishes.

12. dmkerr

The experiment was more interesting as a theory. ;)

13. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Thank you. I'll just keep playing with parfaits, now that I know what I'm doing is called.

14. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

You got that right, shadow. I won't throw away crums. I'll put what little I have together with another tobacco. It's all good.

Ol Brokedik.

shadow likes this.
  15. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Before I started smoking a pipe myself, I used to try to come up with parfaits for my husband with different aros. Starting with the top flavor on the bottom. Cherry bomb, Buttered Rum, then SWRA for a little chocolate. Kind of like a choclate ice cream with butterscotch tooping and a cherry on top.:D
    Reminds I've yet to try one myself.:)

Old Codger likes this.
  16. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

My favorite burley is Solani Aged Burley Flake. A year or so ago, I was down to my last tin and tried to think of a way to stretch it. I loaded the bottom of a pipe with ABF and topped it with 1/4 Carter Hall. I'm not a huge fan of Carter Hall straight, but had several ounces of it. It was really good and is now my favorite parfait. It brings out the nuttiness of the CH and all the sweet, tanginess of the ABF. Super good!

17. Gary

Gary Member

+1

I fill my pipe over a large dish. Just cut up some plug to put in the bottom of the bowl with the dregs on top to get it fired up.

I've done a wee bit of blending to take the edge off some aromatics by mixing with something else. I've used Carter Hall and some mature, pure Virginia for this.

shadow likes this.
  18. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I had some Villager 1888 Mid Day left over, but wanted to smoke some Cube Cut on Thanksgiving. I thought if I put a small pinch of the Villager in the middle, it would sweeten the room note for the non-smoking crowd sitting outside with me. They did say it smelled wonderful, but it tasted terrible!

19. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

My ideal parfait is in one of my two football pipes, both huge meerschaums that I like for watching the games. I usually end up with 4-5 blends, alternating with a lat, va/Va-Per and a wee bit of an aromatic. I just keep adding a dab of each until the pipe is full. That rascal will last for the entire game, and the variety of flavors is quite intriguing.

Lestrade likes this.
  20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'll mess about w/ parfaits at times , it's fun ! Sometimes they rock while other times I've made some bad choices

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.