Less Questions ... More Enjoyment Now

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by akohtz, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akohtz

akohtz Member

I've found that, while I'm still reading here at PSF, I'm not posting as much. It feels like I've gotten to a place where my basic questions have been answered well enough that I'm into a 'grove' now with my pipes.

I just feel like I don't have any real outstanding questions at the moment, but I don't feel all that experienced to start posting 'answers' to other people's questions. Is this the natural progression? Are there other like me who are in the same place right now?

Just curious (and feeling the need to post it).

- Andrew

2. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Eh same here. I mean I ask about certain pipes and tobaccos from those who have tried them to maybe save myself a headache or a waste of some money but ive been here longer than some who have a lot more posts than me.

I find I enjoy reading a good bit of posts but if the answer I would give has already been given then ill just not respond.

This forum has a great group of people and I will chimein from time to time but mostly I browse, read and then move on.

I tried getting a blog going but a certain few objected so I decided to keep my mouth shut on that front as well even all I was offering was a good read with room for debate. ANYWAYS, not to hijack the thread but yes I agree with what you said.

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Andrew,

why, yes, that is a natural progression.
    Welcome to the brotherhood. :goodjob:

dp

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I agree it's natural...unfortunately, in my case, I don't know when to shuddup! I think Moo created the old fart section specifically to silence my inane banter. So congrats to you guys for the gift of understanding! Of course, no one would knock you for chiming in...this place is great for free expression, opinion and debate. (Several subjects notwithstanding.)

That last statement or two of mine is the reason why I do jack jaw here so much.

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I found that somewhere between 4 and 6 months into the hobby, I'd learned enough and sorted out my palate to the extent that I didn't have as many questions but I still enjoy keeping up with everyone and reading reviews. As for blogs, I say feel free to express yourself and don't worry unless you somehow cross a line with the site admins.

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Unfortunately, the natural progression continues beyond the point you are at now. Eventually it leads to a point where you are adding to every post (whether your input actually "adds" or not) and worrying who has a larger "post count".
    If you catch yourself logging in just to enter "Ditto" to the bottom of a string of posts...you have attained the final level. :0laugh:
    I haven't seen many of the "Masters" here. That's why this forum is one I continue to follow.
    Dan

7. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

8. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Soon you will be an old fart!

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

:0laugh:

+1

:0laugh:

10. akohtz

akohtz Member

I'm getting older ... but ... old fart ... I hope that's still a ways away. Good to know it's a normal progression.

I have refrained from asking questions about blends. All my reading and experience so far tells me that it's very very subjective. What one person loves another person may dislike.

Instead of posting about blends I've been lucky enough to have a local group of pipers that meet weekly at my local B&M. They've given me some very cool samples, and Corn Cob Charlie on here blessed me with even more. I'm over sampled right now I think ... wow. I'm spending the next month or so trying them out several times and in a few different pipes to make judgements.

I'd bet that by the 4 or 5 month mark I'll have a decent sorting out of my palate too.

- Andrew

11. akohtz

akohtz Member

Yep. I'm still perusing the forums from time to time, and read every one of Falconeers blog posts. But my participation here is still gone down as I've found my groove. Just sitin' back with a bowl of Petersons Old Dublin right now. Feels like a nice balance though.

- Andrew

12. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm glad it's going a bit more smoothely for you now. This I think is one of the good things about a well run Forum - you can pick up answers much more quickly than we did back in the Stone Age - it took me several years til I could guarantee that's I fill a pipe correctly so that I could get the damn thing to smoke without jamming up on me.

The progression you've mentioned is natural, reading for info is fun - but no one comes The Acid here and the board is for discussion and everyone's contribution is welcome.

New guys have a lot to bring to a Forum and I'd say if there's a topic that interests you then chime in for Heavens sake - if just the same old people post then things can get stale and a fresh viewpoint is like a breath of fresh air,

Best as ever

Gerry

13. akohtz

akohtz Member

Gerry,

I think you're right. I've been using the forum less for learning now. Perhaps I shouldn't fret and let a newbie stance prevent me from participating in sharing my experiences now too.

I've reached the point where I've gotten things down pretty well. I'm no longer obsessing over the right way to pack, or dry the tobacco, or clean the pipe, etc. It's all down pretty smooth and I seem to enjoy a good smoke almost every time.

This evening is a great bowl of Pirate Kake. Lol.

- Andrew

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Yes I think of the Forum as being like a good Neighbourhood Bar where you go in for a chat as much as a drink - you just join in the conversation if there's one going on that interests you.

In this Modern World you don't always get to meet too many pipe smokers these days in the flesh just to chew the fat - in Seahouses here there's only me, Harry and the Street Sweeper who smoke pipes ( everyone else is on bootleg RYO due to the Chancellor's greed) whereas when you look at the not so old pictures around the bar of the Olde Shippe just about every fisherman and Lifeboat Coxwain has a pipe in his face.

Finally make a Forum too "Exclusive" and you end up with few members and nothing to say to eacher apart from "Kool Beenz" and "Me too!" Post Count means nothing as does the "Senior Member" title. We are all pipesmokers - end of story.

Forums need new blood and fresh viewpoints or else they get stale and boring before they fold.

Hope this helps and I can assure you most people here will think the same,

Gerry

15. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Nice pipe. Nice pipe. Nice pipe. Nice pipe. Nice pipe. Nice pipe. :roflmao: Dag. Did I mention, "Nice pipe?"

Yeah, well, about the time you get your head around the thing and it all comes together you will find we have a continuing influx of new members whose posts often begin with, "How do I....?" or, "I am having a problem with....".

They need you, Andrew.

Then there are pipe shows you never knew about.
    Then a 20-year old tin of Edgeworth shows for $40 and and you may have a few questions.
    Then...

Whatever. It goes on and on. Just try to avoid three consecutive "Wow. Nice pipe." posts and everything will be fine. :eek:hyeah:

16. akohtz

akohtz Member

Deal.

- Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.