1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Let's see your Mario Grandi's !

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ChrisD, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Let's see some Mario Grandi's that are out there, and here your thoughts and experiences with these pipes !

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Only my doctor gets to see those.

3. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

good one

4. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Freehand Sitter

I've shown off my first Mario Grandi before on the forums, but here's a link to my blog post about it: http://tspipes.tumblr.com/post/845345501/mario-grandi

That freehand sitter is a solid pipe, but as a lot of MG pipes, it is very heavy, so you can't really clench. That works out, however, as I can sit it down and it stays put with such a solid, thick base. The shaping of the pipe itself looks rushed. The rim could use some more material removal to make it more evenly rounded, and the flare outs are quite uneven. The stem is a hard acrylic that is fairly uncomfortable and cut in a very esoteric half-saddle. With a bit of fiddling it will pass the pipe cleaner test, provided you use churchwarden cleaners.

The thing smokes like you wouldn't believe. You can abuse the crap out of it and it continues to smoke cool. If I fill it up all the way, a smoke can last a good 2-3 hours, so I generally only fill it halfway, and the cake in the bowl really echoes that. :)

In spite of it not being a masterpiece like buying a pipe from our many fine pipe crafters, it's solid, dependable, and a great smoker. I use this pipe for meaty English blends.

Blowfish

I recently bought a second Mario Grandi. I've been waiting to find a reasonably-priced blowfish shape (yes, I know the futility of this) and after wading through mounds of MG's sandblasted takes on the shape, they finally posted a completely smooth Blowfish, for $88. I jumped on it instantly.

http://img.skitch.com/20101128-e1q9t6cr6g62qef7csyu4jp85c.jpg

It's just a bit smaller than my freehand sitter, but the chamber is almost as large. This stem is a more-traditionally shaped ebonite and as such it's a little more comfortable, and the weight of the pipe isn't so bad that I can almost use it as a clencher.

The shaping is a little better, although the lines are not quite as straight as I'd like. I like this one a lot better and considering it cost half of what my sitter cost, I think it is twice the pipe. It smokes even cooler than my abused sitter, and easily passes the pipe cleaner test without having to fiddle, twist, and beg. I use this pipe for Sillem's Black exclusively.

As an aside, does anyone else really not like the sandblast job that MG does on their pipes? For some reason I really can't stand them. At least from the pics on their eBay store the pipes end up looking chewed up and over-blasted. I guess my preference is for a more subtle blast to bring out the natural rings and textures of the wood.

5. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 full hours of non stop smoking perfection!

Duke

6. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Very Nice !

7. Coffee-Cup

Coffee-Cup Member

You guys have definitely blown my mind with the "Mario Grandi's" pipes. I had never heard of this brand before but if it is similar to the pipes you guys posted-it is my kind of pipe. I will definitely be on the look out for this guy's pipes which I can afford. :thumbsup:

8. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

From all I know you can only get the new ones on ebay which is what I just did

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.