life expectancy of a 50g tin

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Twan013, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twan013

Twan013 Member

How long does an opened tin of bacco typically last? im talking about a 50g tin that is opened almost daily..

the reason i ask, is when i go buy my first round (hopefully about 5 different kinds for a good variety), i definitely want to try each one, but i only smoke once or twice a day, and i may go a few days without smoking at all..

What i may do, is buy 4 different kinds of bacco, smoke one tin a week (find time each day to smoke), and make a personal log of what i think about it each day. the initial smell, how it smokes, the taste, and how it makes me feel.. at the end of the week make a final decision based on my daily log, whether to buy more or forget about it. after all tins are smoked, go back to the tobacconist, buy another tin of the "keepers", and buy 4 more kinds that i didnt get the month before.. that way i build up my stash AND get an idea of what i like and dislike!

.....wow i think into things way too deeply..

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Hey T, I strongly recommend you go get yourself some small canning jars (4 oz size, 8 oz is more versatile though) and put your freshly opened tin toby in a jar. Label it how you wish (who, what, when, etc) and your toby will be the freshest it can be. Nothing like being forced to finish a tobak that you'd rather smoke later......... canning jars can be found on sale now since canning season is here n now. Even better, get yourself a flat of them (12) and keep the box & dividers. Nothing like having 12 different tobaccos to choose from at any given time to smoke and enjoy!

Unless you have 4 flats of them and they're all "loaded"! :bing: Sometimes I find it very difficult to decide what I'm gonna smoke. To me, that determines which pipe. Regardless, get some jars man! You won't go back! :eek:hyeah:

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Well, now that would totally depend on whats inside. Could take months/years or days/weeks. I can empty something good in 3-5 days, something not so good may last the life of the tin. :bing:

4. Stoked

Stoked Member

I used to smoke like this, kinda. Anyway, I would recommend keeping the bulk of your 50g tins in a canning jar, away from sunlight, in a cool dark place. I actually place mine inside of big plastic sealed containers to seal out light.

If you have some small glass vitamin bottles they make excellent storage for small quantities of your larger, opened tins tobaccos which are now stored in your mason jars. I place these small bottles inside of a humidifier just in case they are not air tight (but I'm pretty sure they are). I open these as often as I like. This way I can open many tins whenever I want, smoke small quantities, and yet not effect the bulk of the tobacco while it remains stowed away.

As far as "thinking into things way too deeply..." check out my signature and welcome to the club! :suicide:

5. Twan013

Twan013 Member

i like that.. definitely a great quote to remember..

i've got the perfect storage bin for a decent stash of baccy.. i got a footlocker for christmas when i was a little kid, and i've really never used it except to pile stuff on top of it.. it would be nice to have next to my smoking chair.. or i could even use it as a footstool if i felt like it! I'll definitely look into the jar thing..

6. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

While I agree that canning or mason jars are ideal, they're not always easy to find. I've been using emma jars recently for my 50g or 2oz tins and they've been working as well anything. I've had some bulk PS LBF in an emma jar since April without any detrimental drying.

7. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

It sounds like you've got a good system going as far as paying attention and recording your findings. I wish I was so organized. I'm used to buying 8 oz at a time and putting it in jars or air tight cannisters, then rationing it out into old 50g tins. I switch between tins so it's hard to tell, but I'd say a single tin lasts me 5 days, maybe 3 if I don't don't do much switching.

You only overthink something if you can't think about anything else.

8. Twan013

Twan013 Member

What I was really asking though, is how long will it last before it goes bad? My biggest problem would be that I want to open each one as soon as I get it to see what it smells like, and then I may not get around to smoking it all. That's why I came up with the plan to smoke one up at a time.

9. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i keep open tins in a gallon ball jar.
    there's erinmore thats been open 6-7 months in there thats still pretty moist and smokeable. you can get the jars at walmart for about six bucks, the lid is just big enough to accomodate a 50g round tin (think peterson old dublin etc or escudo). i've probably got about ten 50g tins of various shapes in there and i dont get flavor-cross-pollination. i'll upload a pic when i remember where i put the camera.

10. CBR

CBR Member

I know it's tempting to take a sniff as soon as you get the tin, but try to avoid opening tins if you don't intend to smoke them yet. The tobacco itself may not dry out for a month or so in the tin but the flavors will undoubtedly change. Take Samuel Gawith 1792 or Davidoff Scottish Mixture for example, the first few post-opening smokes and the bowls that come a few weeks later are subtly different - sometimes certain flavor tones will disappear completely once the tin has been opened for a while. Resist the urge to jump in head first, you might find that the flavors in the tin evolve as you smoke them.

11. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

That's an intriguing idea, Dub. I tend to either smoke a tin up, or transfer to one of them 'Emma" jars Decker referred to.

To the OP-

CBR is right. Now, if the tobacco in question is notoriously green, or smells over the top, maybe a cracked tin is a good idea. Otherwise, do one of the jar route suggestions to play it safe.

12. Puff The Magic

The "other" answer would be however fast it takes ya to get through 20-25-ish bowls of it. Even if you have two tobaks to choose from, one will usually be favored over the other. A good many factors come into play here complicated by the number of tobaks you have available to you. If you only have that one tin and it's hit daily for a bowl and your bowls aren't on either extreme (small or huge) then ~20 days and it'll be gone or close.

Enjoy!

13. Stoked

Stoked Member

OK, then here's my definitive answer. I opened a 50 gram tin of Ashton Black Parrot 8 years ago, smoked some now and then (I always preferred the Pebblecut more) and to this day it is still in great condition. I've kept it in the tin inside of a humidor.

As long as your tobacco is kept at the proper moisture level inside of a humidor as you sample it now and then over the years, whereas it is not drying out and then you're re-hydrating it, it should last for many years. From what I understand, it's the drying out part that causes the flavor to diminish and not return to it's previous level.

In my earlier post I mentioned transferring the tobaccy into glass mason jars and smaller bottles (vitamin/herb bottles). After all the years in the humidor I found the tin had started to disintegrate on the inside, with the lining starting to come off. Also the bottom of the tin had started to rust due to humidity. Thus the glass bottle idea was born (they hold about 2 ounces so they are perfect for the contents of a 50 gram tin).

14. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

If you open the tin, it's best to transfer it to something air tight if you're not going to smoke it. I've gotten some tins that were a bear to open. I don't think they're vacuum packed but they are sealed to preserve the contents for heaven knows how long. Once you break the seal, the environment gets to work. If that environment isn't a lit bowl, then it won't be performing as designed.

I don't have a humidor and I'm not particularly fussy, but I have noticed changes in tinned tobacco if I don't make the transfer after a few days. All of this depends on the weather, I suppose, and not all of the changes are for the worse. Like so many things about pipe smoking, there are a lot of variables. I don't know if there is a right answer.

This is one reason I tend to buy bulk at B&Ms. I like to smell what I'm getting beforehand so I understand the temptation to crack the tin. It's started many interesting bus and subway conversations on my way home from the tobacconist... as long as you don't mind somebody sticking their snoot in your new 'baccy.

15. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

tinjar. i counted theres 4 round 50g round (peterson style) tins, 4 large rectangular (gawith style) tins, one small rectangular like university flake comes in, there of the size irish flake comes in, and three bags of loose tobacco, i've got room for two more gawith sized tins in there. i just close them up/tighten them down and stick them in it then screw the top on. keeps em nice and moist. occasionally i'll stick a slightly damp towel in there while i'm at work and take it out when i get back but thats about a bimonthly thing.[attachment=751:IMG_3974.JPG]

16. Puff The Magic

That's a cool jar ya got there! Nice size and good amount of toby rides inside! :thumbsu:

17. Brian

Brian Member

Most big chain grocery stores carry canning jars. They are rarely displayed in an obvious or prominent location. Ask a clerk. I didn't think the Safeway across the street had them until I asked. The clerk showed me where they were stacked up high and almost out of site above an aisle of the freezer section.

I also only smoke 2 or maybe 3 times a day at most. But I also like to smoke different tobaccos all the time, and not a single blend for long stretches. I bought two flats of the small wide-mouthed jam jars. They are perfect for up to about 2 oz of tobacco, and can easily store contents of a 50g or 100g tin.

They are a cheap investment. They last forever.

18. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Really like Liam's idea. Having opened tins around has never been a problem to me up til now, as I opened the tin as soon as I got it and had it finished after a week - but I'm working my way through the Peterson tobaccos ( and loving the experience so far ) and as some of them are so flavoursome I can see that I'm going to have to start dedicating pipes and that of course means tins being left open for longer.

It's such a simple idea putting the tins in a large storage jar that you ask yourself "Why the Devil didn't I think of that!"

Best to all

Gerry

19. Cobra

Cobra Member

About four days. :thumbsu:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.