1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Lifetime of a briar pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dwaugh, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

My wife and I are sitting outside and I just finished a bowl of McClelland Yenidje Supreme. As I was cleaning the pipe out my wife asked my how long the pipe should last if I smoked one bowl a day in it. I thought about it for a minute, said I didn't really know, but that I thought the pipe should certainly outlast me and if cared for could last almost indefinitely.... I did add that the stem might have to replaced from time to time depended on chewing/clenching. Any thoughts?

NoRm and Ol Brokedik like this.

2. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

That is about right.:old:

Ol Brokedik and dwaugh like this.
  3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I've got a few that I've smoked for over years although they weren't every day. They still look the same as the day I bought them. That's why I believe in buying quality. I bought some cheapo crap about 35 years ago and they lasted only a few years. I won't mention what brand they were but they had aluminum threaded tenons and aluminum push-in tenons.

4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

A number of my pipes belonged to my great-grandfather (Dr. Grabow Omega and Grand Duke)...he died in 1975. He smoked a pipe until one of two things happened: either someone bought him a new one, or it disintegrated. He smoked them multiple times a day, and I dont even think he ran a pipe cleaner, except maybe occasionally. In fact, just yesterday my grandmother gave me another one of his pipes that had and incredible amount of carbon build up. I couldnt even get my pinkie into the bowl, the cake was that thick. After about 20 mins with my czech tool, hard bristled pipe cleaner, and my pen knife, I had it ready to smoke. Ive smoked it thrice...its a fine smoker...a Dr. Grabow Duke. My great-grandfather was a Dr. Grabow fan, apparently...

5. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Agree, a quality pipe, taken care of properly can be handed down several times. But the same pipe being abused won't last long. So probably depends on the individual.

Old Frontier, Ol Brokedik and dwaugh like this.
  6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I have a pipe that is over a hundred years old and some that are from the 30's , 40's, 5o's , 60's , 70 , 80's , 90's and 2000 ish . The ones that are much older dont really look older except the colors are so much nicer . I'd think , if cared for , they'd last hundreds of years . Lucite will out last vulcanite

7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Well I heard discarded cobs thrown on the ground will seed and sprout new stalks for harvest, my oldest briars bought new are about 15 years old, have been well cared for and still look new.

Ol Brokedik, Old Codger and dwaugh like this.
  8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

This was a trick question. You have now limited your ability to make pipe purchases. I've been married twice; I wish I could have warned you in time. Your response should have been as follows:

*Oh, around a month or so I suppose. I mean, how long do shoes last*

This would have helped with future PAD issues.

9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Seriously: I have briars that are from the 20's era, 40's, 50's, etc. I think if a pipe smoker takes good care of their pipes, e.g. cleaning, proper rest/rotation, proper smoking techniques and methods, they should last a lifetime.

Ol Brokedik and dwaugh like this.
  10. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

They will last as long as their owner(s) care for them properly.
    You can burn out a quality pipe in a few months if you abuse it enough....and a well cared for basket pipe will last for generations.

dwaugh, Ol Brokedik and Darkly like this.
  11. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Dude's right, you're busted, D. :)

dwaugh and Ol Brokedik like this.
  12. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

what you said..... The spoken truth:thu:

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  13. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

Yep.... She got him!!!! No more new pipes:( . Should have compaired them to something she'd understand.... like shoes.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  14. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

I bought and restored [just a little bit] a pipe of 1907 and another one of 1910. [​IMG]
    Now they on the way for the 200 years and maybe some day my son's son will announce that in this smoking forum. [​IMG]

15. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I really enjoyed the reading, Stonewall. You got game!

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

Stonewall likes this.
  16. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Must of been Medicos:ohyh:

17. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Gotta agree with most here. I have seen some fairly old pipes. If they are properly cared for, and treated with some respect----I think they will last many generations.

dwaugh likes this.
  18. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

I'd have to agree as well. A pipe will last several lifetimes if the owners take good care of them. Even the stems will last that long if they aren't abused!

dwaugh likes this.
  19. foggy mountain

foggy mountain Member

My oldest pipe is a Wilke bent apple that I got new in 1958. It has been heavily smoked, but is still good. One thing though: the pipe has been smoked so much that it has a soggy taste unless allowed to dry a few weeks between smokes. I recently discarded a 1965 meerschaum that was falling apart and taped together with a hole through the bottom. It also had an oversmoked taste. So I would expect a quality pipe to have a useful life of about 40 years.

20. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

My first pipe is a Amadeus rustic [straight] 9mm,bought in 1987. I still smoke it once in a while dedicated to Aromatics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.