Lighting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demented

A question for those who?ve been smoking a pipe at least two or three years...

Do you still do two charring lights, tamping after each before lighting and smoking your pipe?

I don?t know when it happened, and hadn?t given any thought to it until a clerk in a pipe shop said something a number of years ago. I often start the tobacco burning with a single light, only tamping when needed. That?s not to say I don't relight when the pipe goes out.

If you?ve read about the International slow smoking contest you know that the rules allow for contestants to be given but two matches to light their pipes.

cst

I don't. I usually just draw whilst I am tamping. It keeps the ember going. Either that or I just don't do that first tamp for about half an hour or so. Even then, I don't usually relight unless I need to. I have to say when I came on this website (and others) I was a little surprised to learn that I had been doing it wrong all these years.

I don't char the end of my cigars either. I just light up and enjoy.

dubhdarra

cst said:
I don't. I usually just draw whilst I am tamping. It keeps the ember going. Either that or I just don't do that first tamp for about half an hour or so. Even then, I don't usually relight unless I need to.
same, i try to remember to do it the way all the big kids say ya gotta, but i always do it the way i do it out of habit, light that sucker, keep it lit and pack the krausen down when it starts trying to come out the top of the bowl

Falconeer

Yup, I'm of the light it once, let it go out then relight and just smoke it. To be honest I didn't know you were supposed to do this twice!

Gerry

I usually do a false light, but it may be more out of habit than out of necessity. It does help get an even light on really large bore pipes though.

For me it depends on the tobacco.Some tobaccos need to be charred to get going,but most of the time I just light up and let the draw tell me when it's time to tamp.

piper

I'll take the liberty of replying even though I haven't been smoking a pipe that long... I find that the tobacco expands upon initial lighting and needs a tamp which tends to put it back out, thus requiring the second light, or even a third as it rises up again.

atlharp

I typically tamp after the initial light, but not every time. I think I do it more with non-flake tobaccos which tend to need it more.

ATL

Smoker99

I always do a false light, just out of habit. Funny you mentioned pipe smoking contests, I was in a bunch of these back in the seventies and eighties. You did get two matches, the same amount of tobacco, and a pipe, which was usually a reject/second from a large factory made concern. The winners were all smoking briar at the end, and I can tell you it doesn't taste good.

jamie7

I haven't thought about it much until this thread. I have two ways of thinking.

The less technical is if it burns I just smoke it.

The second, more technical thinking is I do charring lights according to how much the tobacco raises up on the first light(s). I want to get a layer of flat ash on top for an even burning smoke, so if after the charring light and tamp it stays down then I keep smoking. If it rises up again I re-tamp and re-light. Mind, some tobaccos don't even need a false light - they just keep going off the first light.

Dondi

When I used to smoke cigars, I would often smoke with a friend. I would always do a charring light to get the "foot" of the cigar evenly grayed out, before I even take the first puff. My friend would just light and puff immediately.

I noticed that my cigars would hardly ever go out, and would have an even burn with nice firm ash all the way to the end, whereas my friend would often have to relight and sometimes get lopsided burns - and I know these can taste foul, as I've smoked some poorly constructed cigars that would burn unevenly, or when smoking in a strong wind.

So bottom line, I carried over the same habit of doing at least one charring light and getting an "even char" on the top layer of the bowl, I find it's much neater, and makes it easier to avoid relights!

Status
Not open for further replies.