Local Shop Policy Change

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Stinger4me, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

Stopped in at the local pipe shop to pick up some aromatic tobacco. Up until now they have been very good about providing a free bowl of tobacco. I was always reminded to bring in a pipe and get a sample of tobacco. On the day of my purchase I packed up my MM with a sample. While paying for my purchase I was told of the change in policy. NO MORE FREE SAMPLE BOWLS OF TOBACCO. I have been smoking a pipe for forty years and this is the first time I have seen this happen. Is this a new trend in pipe shops? They told me prices have gone up so much they can no longer afford to give any samples. What do the forum members think. Thanks for responding.

2. Tate

Tate Member

A lot of these local guys are under duress. The laws, the public, and the public are all against these dudes. If they have to stop giving away stuff to save a buck when it really counts then I wouldn't hold it against them. The brick and mortar tobacconist is like a dying breed. If they want to survive they're going to have to save money and change from sales of tobacco to an experience based business.

dBear, Old Codger and Stonewall like this.
  3. bubbagump

bubbagump Sales Account

That's a sign of the times. It's pretty rare to get anything for free these days. I have to question the decision to stop doing that after all those years though. It would probably be smarter to eat the cost of a few bowls of tobacco then risk alienating loyal customers. You've got to do what you've got to do though.

That and something tells me that people were abusing that policy. Do they have a lounge? If so..."Free samples" might have led to people hanging out, trying "free samples," and rarely buying anything. Just my $.02...

rondel65, MikeInMaine, Jussto and 4 others like this.
  4. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

The new policy might be the result of someone abusing the old policy. Once again, one @$$hole ruins the system for everyone.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

There's no way they should do that . What could a pound of Bulk pipe tobacco cost these days ... 13 - 15 bucks a pound wholesale ? I'm talkin regular stuff like PS , Lane etc .. Unless they don't want people smoking , which I couldn't imagine but ya never know these days , they should let a guy dip a bowl to try ... how else is the guy gonna try it . I'm a bit heart broken to even hear it , to be honest . If someone were abusing the free samples .. ya call him out

MikeInMaine, Jussto, dBear and 2 others like this.
  6. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I haven't heard of it anywhere else so I don't think it's a trend. I know I'd be quite shocked if the local here did that, I've heard the owner talk about some pretty harsh ideas to save a dollar but never mentioned stopping samples.

7. bosun

bosun Active Member

The idea is that some one tries some thing and if they like it then they buy some. With higher costs, increased taxes, rent, utility bills, etc. there is only so much profit to be made. If people are coming in twice a week, smoking two bowls for free and not buying anything,then the merchant's family is getting hungry. I don't have a local B & M just a RYO store who sells some pipe tobacco. I'll buy some of his pipe tobacco just to keep him in business.

8. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I would think it is more a legal/regulation thing (i.e. not giving samples of an "addictive" substance, true for cigs, not so much pipe tobacco).

dBear likes this.
  9. phinz

phinz Active Member

It's most likely just somebody being cheap.

JimInks likes this.
  10. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

They have a lounge there which I do NOT use. There is a sign on the door stating, "YOU MUST BE 18 TO ENTER THE SHOP".
    This is a good sized shop which sells RYO materials, cigars, pipes and tobacco. I certainly will not buy anything new without a sample so they have shot themselves in the foot from my perspective. I have discarded too many 1-2 oz. bags of tobacco to suit me. I wonder if this is a decision which they may regret.

11. buistd

buistd Active Member

I wouldn't let it worry you too much. If you like the B&M and the folks who own it are good people, why deny them business? I take Ruff's point about the cost of a lb of tobacco etc., but maybe people were abusing the system. If you lived on this side of the pond you would probably die of shock if a tobacconist offered you a free sample. I went into a B&M in Tucson and I thought the guy working there had taken leave of his senses when he told me I could sample what I liked.

Eddie likes this.
  12. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

When I was haunting my B&M(still in business) the owner would bag me up a few samples of anything I wanted to try, I was dropping some decent money each week though.
    When I am doing better, I will be shopping there again.

13. Moose

Moose Active Member

This sounds a bit out of reach for me. Like has been said, the cost would be minimal compared to what it brought in, one would think
    THis being said, I would still frequent the business to support them.
    We do not have a local B&M in my or connecting towns and would love to have a place to stop in and sample.

14. lestrout

lestrout Member

Sting - which B&M is this? Is it part of a chain?

hp
    les

15. highstump

highstump Active Member

This was my first thought too. We had a shop here that closed up a few years ago. I bought something everytime I set foot in the place, even if it was only a bundle or two of pipe cleaners.

16. CoreyR

CoreyR Living the sweet life!

Dude, you are lucky that you EVER got "free samples." I live just south of Richmond, Virginia. Here we only have three stores, one is a chain with several locations. They are all mainly cigar stores and pipe smokers are unliked, distant cousins. The largest one, the chain, is the worst about this. They REALLY do not like pipe smokers. Unless of course, you are laying down BIG buck$, then they warm up. I go in there to buy 10 ounces or so of bulk or a couple of tins? There is a definate "get lost loser" attitude. But they are the only game in town. I prefer going to Charlottesville where there are two different shops, both are also "cigar shops" but both have large pipe sections and really cater to pipe smokers as well. Yet even they do not give out "free samples."

17. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

Smokers Club in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. It is NOT a chain store.

18. phinz

phinz Active Member

And that's why I pay the slightly higher prices at Gatlinburlier. Every time I walk in, even if I've been gone for a few months, they greet me and ask me how things are going at our Gatlinburg place, then tell me to load up a bowl and chew the fat with them. They greet every pipe smoker with the same enthusiasm. It's refreshing.

19. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

My local still gives samples, but not of anything I would want to try...

20. Buckshot Two

Buckshot Two Member

Come down to Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint. Once you buy one of his Cayuga brand (his own label) pipes you are given a club card and you can stop in and pick up a free 1 oz baggie (already bagged and labeled) of one of his own blends every month. A different blend every month. I have found several of his blends that have become favorites because of this deal. Also, after you buy 12 Cayuga pipes, they average the cost per pipe and you get that off your next pipe purchase. (I am already on my second card in 2 years.) :D By the way...I am in no way affiliated with this store other than being a loyal customer since the early 70's.

Old Codger and MikeInMaine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.