1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Look @ these free hands

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ruffinogold, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Was just checking out this site for pipe repair and came across this page ... I guess the guy makes pipes as well . Dont know anything about them . Looks like greasian briar [ dont ask why I think that
    ] and made as well or better than any pipes I've seen for that kind of money ...... http://www.norwoodspiperepair.com/pipes.html

2. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

...wow. I like those price tags. I wonder how they smoke.

3. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Great find man! :cheers:

4. ruffinogold

They're briar and pretty hefty so I imagine a cool smoke . The guy seems talented so they're probably set up correctly . Basicly I think just from looking at them that they have a good chance of smoking better than some no name basket pipe for 40.00 . You'd think one of these guys on this here forum , ya know , the guys buying pricey pipes during any given week [ you know who you are ] would give one of these a shot . I mean 40.00 bucks .... chump change to a fat cat . I 'd bag one myself if I didnt have to buy a truck asap and some equipment that got destroyed the other day .. ugh ... Anyway , they look ok to me . I kinda like the #7 pipe ... **** ... might have to get it anyway . Who needs a truck . lol

5. kirbyb

kirbyb Member

I own two of Floyd's pipes, both are terrific, particularly for the price. He has also done some first class repairs for me. I highly reccomend him.

6. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Well, as a matter of fact, I hears ya can smoke a pipe while you walk where ya going. It's a little harder to drive while holding tobacco in your hand trying to inhale the smoke cause ya gots no pipe. So, yeah, you having a pipe is more important than you having a truck. :whistle:

It is so cool how easily I can rationalize someone else making bad decisions.

7. erickghint

erickghint Member

I really like #8. Pretty piece, and for $40, I may have to pick one up here in the next couple weeks.

8. cmw00

cmw00 Member

I'm liking #2, those are nice looking pipes!

9. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Wow, those do look cool. I spend $35 for an everyman, I think $40 for one of these would have been a much better bet lol

10. Coffee-Cup

Coffee-Cup Member

Wow! These pipes look awfully good and especially at these prices. If you guys don't snatch these up maybe I will grab one in two weeks. :innocent:

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Thanks Ruffin - seriously impressed with these and also with his carve-your-own blocks. Have noted the contact.

Many thanks for sharing

Best to all

Gerry

12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Floyd has repaired a couple of pipes for me. Actually, he brought one back from the dead. I would think that he knows what it takes to build a good smoker.

13. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Mmmm freehands...those were the days.......now it's just handfuls..

14. kvv098

kvv098 Member

Look like basket pipes for me and priced accordingly

15. jpberg

????? While the style does not suit me, I think that Floyd probably rates a bit higher than basket pipe.

P.S. Nice way to introduce yourself to the board.

16. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I know a guy that just smokes them and loves them. I don't know why but i never have bought one but I may remedy that.

17. kvv098

kvv098 Member

I have one basket pipe and when I smoke it I love it. If I see a pipe that is in range with basket pipes I say it is a basket pipe.

18. jpberg

Fine, but doesn't the name "basket pipe" imply a certain hit or miss, 2nd quality piece? Maybe Im speaking out of turn, having never smoked one of Floyds own pipes, but I can't help but think that regardless of the looks, they have to be well drilled and fitted pieces. The guy has had way too many well made pipes come across his bench to making poor smokers.

19. kvv098

kvv098 Member

Let me explain myself. I cannot remark about how well these pipe smoke. I newer smoked one. Even more, I believe that with Floyd's experience he produces well smoking pipes.
    But looking at the pictures I can say that these pipes are no match to the artisans or even hand made Italian pipes.
    They might be a decent smoking workhorses but have low aesthetic value.
    Just a reminder. I express solely my opinion.
    My aesthetic perception can be very different from someone's else.

Floyd must be an honest man. Pricing these pipes in $40-50 range make a lot of sense for me.

20. ruffinogold

I think maybe youre thinkin too much . It's common thought here that basket pipes are a total hit or miss because of poor briar or bad set ups. The carving of these pipes arent on par with say Randy Wiley or Paul Winslow but the briar is quality and the set up no doubt is proper wich will make a good smoking pipe wether the pipe is spot on as far as balance or whatever ... which is more that can be said for a basket pipe in " general ". So I see where you are comming from . I think maybe the lesson learned here is what my ma would tell me at times ... If ya cant say something nice dont say anything ... believe me .. if I were to respond to what I saw as negaitive here at times ...I could write a book ... well maybe a phamplet . Mostly I wont respond or bring up something that can go in the negaitive direction . It's got nothing to do with political correctness , more so with a positve PSF flow . So you think they're basket pipes ... :deadhorse1: .....God , my spelling sucks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.