Looking for a burley to feed the fires of my cob!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tenthgate, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on some tasty burleys. I've been smoking 2 so far.

Big n'Burley came on reference from I believe Falconeer somewhere, and I've also smoked Boswells premium burley quite a bit.

The former is quite excellent, awesome smooth, nutty taste once you get paste the edge. I believe that taste is the pure burley and I've quite taken to it, but I find the whole package a little too potent for most occasions, plus my wife hates the room note. Boswell's is great but on the other end of the spectrum, a bit too light. I'll probably keep both stocked but I'm looking to cover new ground.

Any suggestions on some quality "must try" burleys out there?

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

C&D Burley Flakes (esp #2 & #3)

C&D Haunted Bookshop

Solani Aged Burley Flake

Wessex Burley Flake

H&H Aged Burley Kake (I mix this one up 50:50 with C&D Haunted Bookshop for my "Cob Burley Blend")

Ed
    Puff

Sasquatch and eddy13 like this.
  3. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Tks puff, had my eye on haunted bookshop cause i liked the name haha, i'll try a couple of these on next paycheck :)

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Of course there are the "paycheck saving" OTC's like

Carter Hall

Prince Albert

Prince Albert Aromatics (Cherry Vanilla & Soft Vanilla, both yummee)

Ed
    Puff

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I tried Boswell's Premium Burley for the first time last night, and it awakened an urge to explore a leaf that has been long neglected by me. Not since I made my way through the old House Of Windsor blends years ago have I had the taste for Kentucky weed, but now I'm looking forward to sampling some. Thanks for the suggestions, Puff. :puffy:

6. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Have you given Prince Albert a shot? Despite it's OTC status it's a legitimate burley and I think it definitely qualifies as a "must try" even if it ends up not making your cut.
    I haven't tried them (yet) but I've also heard very good things from a lot of people about MacBaren's burleys, like Golden Extra and London Blend.
    Wow... it hits me every once in a while how lucky we are to have so darn many wonderful tobaccos out there for us to try... there aren't enough hours in the day! (or dollars in the wallet.... :))

7. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Agreed, this hobby is mind-blowing. Combine the excitement of finding new flavors and to the potential experiences of aging with the wicked ritual of the pipe and you've got yourself a lifelong journey :)

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

MacB Golden Extra is a fantastic burley. IMHO. :D

dp

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

MacB Golden Extra is good.
    Since you like C&D's BigNBurley, you should try OJK from them. It's one I keep reaching for.
    Dan

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I like Middletons Cherry in a cob most but MB GE goes without saying

11. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

OTC blends like Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, Middletons Cherry Blend and Half and Half or just made for a cob and really sing in them.

12. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Thanks for the advice all, I'll be trying most of these. :)

13. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Update:
    I've purchased a 100g tin of MacBaren's Golden Extra to start and am really loving it. Light and delicious, it makes a wonderful counterpoint to the heavy english smokes i love but cannot smoke back to back.

I feel ready to make this my burley of choice but will eventually force myself to sample others. The price to quantity is wonderful, and it smokes well in a little cob for a nice short relaxed smoke.

14. WillH

WillH Active Member

I smoke Wessex Burley Slice! Good stuff IMO.

Will

15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+1 ... it's killer stuff !

16. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Wessex and Solani are very similar to me, to the point that they come in the same tin, with the same little paper cover inside and the same sailboat insignia on it. That said, I have stocked up on Solani ABF and plan to continue acquiring more. It is one of my absolute favorite smokes. Smooth, nutty, not too strong, not too light, and good top to bottom.

To mix it up a little, stuff an ABF flake in the bottom of your cob. Top it off with some Carter Hall and you will have an exquisite Burley parfait. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

17. Marc

Marc Active Member

For a cob, I'd recommend Middleton's Cherry Blend, hands down; it’s an outstanding smoke in a corn cob pipe!

18. Marc

Marc Active Member

I would also recommend McClelland #900 Refined Kentucky Ribbon.

19. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

C&D Burley Flake #2 and #3 are excellent to me, as is Big N Burley. If you don't mind a little chocolate on your burley, try Solani 656 /ABF, Peretti's 333, or Uhle's Perfection Plug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.