Looking for a burley,Va,maybe some dark cavendish in it blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by roberted5, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roberted5

roberted5 Member

Either my taste has changed and I'm getting older so I'm not enjoying the stronger blends like I use too.
    Sometimes a latakia blend can cause me to sneeze with-in the last year and I have to not smoke too much too late or heart-burn next day or that night,not bad but bad enough.

I'd like to find a naturally sweet Va,with some good burley in it and maybe something added to cool it down or add more natural sweetness.

I may have to blend up something.What are some good burleys or can I get pure burley for blending?

2. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

I've recently discovered Kentucky burley and more than love it. Only blends I've really tired with it are Scottish Cake which I'm currently smoking, and G.L. Pease's Jackknife Plug. The plug has a really unique flavor that I can only guess is a blast of that Kentucky. Even thought the Scottish Cake's description says it's got Kentucky burley in it, the flavor is not at all the same. Maybe it's the dark fired aspect of the JKP that makes it take on that smokey tangy flavor and smell. Despite that, the Cake is still very good.

So yeah. Kentucky burley. Give it a try!

A really subtle burley blend to try is Solani's Aged Burley Flake, too. If you're not looking to be hit over the head with flavor, that's one for you.

3. dBear

dBear Active Member

McClelland 5100 Red Kake is a very sweet Virginia. And 4Noggins sells three or four types of blending Burley (and other blending tobaccos.) Click on the menu Bulk Tobaccos --> Blending Tobacco.

DakOOk likes this.
  4. northernsmoke

northernsmoke Member

MacBaren Navy Flake is what I'm currently working through a few bowls of. Based on the first two, I really enjoy it. Sweet, but not overly so. Good tobacco flavor. Only bit me when puffing too hard to get it lit (newbie packing job), and even then, it wasn't much of a bite. Definitely worth a try!

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=N&TID=706

5. Fat Lenny

Fat Lenny Member

Here's one, C&D Easy Times . The description is spot on. Cool smoking, rich and tasty with lots of depth to it.

Latakia Nights likes this.
  6. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

The mention of cavendish in your title reminded me of C&D's Black Duck... Sounds like you might be migrating away from blends like this one, though.

7. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

If you haven't already try some of the old codger OTC's you might find one you really like. I didn't like it a whole lot at first but MB Golden Extra VA/Bur is really starting to grow on me also. I second the McClelland red cake its a smooth, mild and sweet tasting VA to me.

dBear likes this.
  8. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Mac Baren Burley London Blend and Scottish Mix are both excellent bulk choices.Peterson's Perfect Plug is my guilty pleasure......excellent with morning coffee.

Ron

9. Explorer352

Explorer352 Active Member

Erinmore flake, SG best brown (flake)
    Also, Peterson University flake, but it has maybe a little more kick

10. roberted5

roberted5 Member

Thanks for the replies.I'm finding I have to limit amount of bowls per day and may need to put a time limit on my last bowl of the day.Also,some of my tobacco had too much moisture in it.
    I had some H&H S.O.B. and Black House.Both were very good.

pacificflows likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.