1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Looking for a churchwarden

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Greatwall, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

I am still new to the pipe world and I need a bit of assistance. I want to get a new pipe and I have decided to get a churchwarden and I need a suggestion. I don't have easy access to a quality B&M pipe shop so I can't go out and put my hands on a selection of quality pipes. If you know of a place near southeastern Washington that has a good selection of pipes let me know. If you or someone you know makes churchwardens I would be very interested in commissioning a new pipe. Or if you have any other ideas please let me know them also. I have decided to put some time and effort into finding the right pipe and not just settle for something. Let me know your thoughts.

2. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

What kind of price range are you looking at?

N3M0 likes this.
  3. Professor

Professor Active Member

...and what kind of material? Meer, Briar or cob?

N3M0 likes this.
  4. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

On the briar end, I have both a Stanwell and Peterson CW and they're both fine smokes. Doug (DGErwin) occasionally has modified cobwardens on his Etsy shop and he always does fine work. I also love my IMP meerschaum CW. These run from about $30ish for the cob, $50-$120 for the briars (depending on the line and wether new or estate) and over $120 for a quality new meer. You're probably more likely to find a Pete or Stanwell (especially the Hans Christian Anderson line) at the B&M.

5. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Churchwardens are great, on occasion.
    If you are lucky enough to be able to sit in your comfy leather chair and puff indoors, they are a solid investment. In the "arc" of initial pipe buying, lots of folks get themselves a churchwarden but find they eventually use them as a pipe-rack decoration. They are strangely balanced and easily knocked around.

But on topic:
    I had a Hans Christian Anderson (Stanwell) churchwarden that smoked very well.

Invicta Briars also offers some reasonably priced wardens.

psquared and MikeInMaine like this.
  6. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

I just had a great Idea! I wonder if I could find a pipe maker to make me a stem for My Peterson rocky donegal XL02 to convert from a short bent to a full churchwarden. I love this pipe and love smoking it. If I can gust get a different stem then I can chose which I want to use. If you are a Pipe maker and want to take up this task let me know!

Buckshot likes this.
  7. ravnhaus

ravnhaus Member

+1 on the Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson. I love mine, however I prefer the shorter (normal) stem that comes with it. I never use the long one. They look cool, but...

8. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

I've got a Stanwell HCA I can part with, smokes great but I've got a bun in the oven and bills to pay. I'll let you have first right of refusal if you'd like.

9. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

Send me a pic and a price via PM or dave@brothersofthebriar.net.

Edit: Been looking at the Stanwell Hans Christian Andersens and I am very interested. Do you have both the short and long stems for it?

10. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

yup, both stems I'll take pics when I get home and post it in the for sale area of the forum with your name on it.

11. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

EDIT: when I get home in an hour or so

12. Alan Dye

Alan Dye Member

Butz Choquin Balzac is a good model and often on sale.

[​IMG]

They also make a calabash:
    [​IMG]

psquared and Spillproof like this.
  13. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

Dalemont, I was in the same boat you are in. It was 30+ years ago and I purchased a Savinelli churchwarden. I doubt if the pipe has been smoked 25 times. At one point I had a second stem made for it, the bowl is a prince style. So down in the collection is a churchwarden with an extra stem. Rarely smoked but it is down there.

Stinger

14. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

Are you wanting to part with it? If so could you send me some info or a link if you have already posted it?

15. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

If you go to Google Images and type in Savinelli Churchwarden pipes you should be able to catch an image of the pipe. If you Google Savinelli Churchwarden you will get a couple of hits for pipe dealers and find it there.

16. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

You can always browse the pipes at smoking pipes . Com or 4noggings. They have some churches and will ship to you.
    If you want a meer church visit altinok, they have nice double stem packs and a nice gandalf wizard pipe .

17. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

Guess im out of the runing for the time being. The HCA is in california and Im in oregon

18. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

Its fine. Thanks for thinking of it!

19. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I sent a Pete Ebony D9 churchwarden to Dave at Walker Briar Works to have a short stem made so I could smoke it more regularly. May have to do that with the Stanwell, too. Anyway, he may well be up to doing the reverse.

20. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Forever stem on a nice cob is what I would do. I cut tenons on injection molded stems to fit my pipes, and keep a CW stem for cobs and one for my favorite briar. I bought a Mr Brog #14 pearwood CW, and I doubt I even broke it in. The pipe is good, but I rarely sit down and have a luxurious smoke. A cobwarden is clenchable, but go for a shorter CW stem so you donĀ“t smack it into... say, a truck window when checking blind spots. Hot embers all over in traffic = saying your adult-worded catchphrase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.