1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Looking for a true maple pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Pecci, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I love maple everything, especially maple aromatic tobacco's. I thought it might be rather complementary, to find a conventional looking pipe made of maple wood. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

I am aware of the MM Ozark Mtn. pipes. In fact I have one, but this model is a maple stained hardwood, not maple wood.

Thanks for any ideas!

2. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

I don't know that maple would make a good pipe. Its a soft wood with a loose grain. It would probably just burn. But then again, there's folks on here that smoke out of corn cobs.

3. Coffee-Cup

Coffee-Cup Member

You might want to ask Sas; he makes great pipes and he might be able to create one out of maple wood. :ranger:

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

The only Maples I'd have a pipe
    made from are Acer Glabrum (Rock Maple),
    or Acer Saccharum (Sugar Maple).
    These are two of the hardest
    woods from the Acer spp. out
    there.

On a side note, these are known
    as Sycamore trees in the UK,
    and possibly Europe.

dp

5. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Thanks, guys.

I haven't sent any private messages on the board, and can't figure out how to do it. I'd like message Sasquatch, in regard to a maple pipe.

Can someone guide me along?

6. Edlj

Edlj Member

At the top of the page click on members,on the next page click on the S where the letters are arranged across the top of the page,then scroll down until you find Sas,look for an icon the right of his name that looks like an envelope and click it,(message pops up that says PM this member when you mouse over it).

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

If it helps I know that during WW2 in Denmark as in many other European countries sycamore was indeed used for pipe making and some Old Boys who'd smoked pipes made from it when I was young said it made an OK pipe; I have no direct experience of smoking such though, only cherrywood.

Best as ever

Gerry

8. DoverPipes

DoverPipes Member

Ralph Gosse makes Hudson Valley Pipes. He makes all of his pipes from native woods. Cherry, Pear, Maple, Apple, etc Tell him I referred you! Check out these pipes that Ralph is selling via PIPESTUD (Steve Fallon): http://cgi.ebay.com/HUDSON-VALLEY-U...098?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230ba096ca http://cgi.ebay.com/HUDSON-VALLEY-U...033?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230ba0a241 http://cgi.ebay.com/HUDSON-VALLEY-U...211?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230ba0f8e3 Contact: Ralph Gosse PO Box 5505 Albany, NY 12205

leacha likes this.
  9. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Thank you, I'll check it out.

10. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I have some 10 year old maple...have made a couple of pipes for myself, though not yet for sale. While I've been smoking one for two years now, I'm still not comfortable with the density of this wood in this context. *IF* I were to carve one for sale, I couldn't guarantee it against burn-out...a deal breaker for most.

11. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Hi T-Bear! MM's higher end cobs (ie: Country Gentleman, Patriot, etc.) are plugged with a hardwood, in order to stop "burn through", at the bottom of the bowl. I don't know what type of hardwood is used, though.

So plugging a maple bowl at the bottom, with a hardwood proven to hold-up, can work.

I don't have enough posts to send you a PM, yet. As soon as I do ... I will! B)

12. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Country Gent is a soft bottom w/sticker. Unless MM just recently changed.....:dunno:

Mine are ~at least 3+mos old/new.

Density of the wood is key and that determines longevity in a way as long as poor technique doesn't cause the burnthrough (side or bottom) earlier than the wood should have. I've smoked cherry wood (Ropp) and it was ok. No performance like a god briar (or cob/meer) but it was ok. Why maple if I may ask?

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

13. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Thanks for the reply "Puff". The answer to your Q can be found in my opening post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.